Pridex Question.......

A place to discuss those classic and vintage fly reels, classics include modern variations of those of vintage. Please add your photos, stories or just join in conversation about your reels.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

High and Dry

Pridex Question.......

Post by High and Dry »

Thanks to all for providing me with a new addiction! I just received my J W Young Pridex with 3/63 stamped inside. It has the dual spring set up inside but how do you know if it is set for left or right retrieve? It obviously winds in either direction, but is softer / less drag while using right hand retrieve if that makes sense. It appears to ned some attention to the insides oil /grease? Here are a couple photos of my new addition (first J W Young, as my wife of 27 yrs rolls her eyes.....). Thanks all for any advice. Dave

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Pridex Question.......

Post by Canewrap »

I have a few of the J.W. Young reels. They're great reels.
You said "but is softer / less drag while using right hand retrieve if that makes sense."

If, by that you mean it has less resistance when you wind with the handle on the right and has
more resistance when pulling line off the reel in the right-hand wind position, then it's biased
for right-hand wind. There are a few people around that, for a fee, can re-bias the spring for you to get
a left-hand wind setup, if that's your preference. Bulldog (on this forum) did it for me with a few J.W. Youngs
and they "purr" like a kitten now.

3wt monte
Sport

Re: Pridex Question.......

Post by 3wt monte »

Hi Dave.

The two springs on your Pridex allow you to set it up for either right-hand wind (RHW) or left-hand wind (LHW). The picture of the insides shows that it is currently set up for RHW. The pawl at the top of the picture is engaged (the tip is pointing towards the center post), while the pawl at the bottom is not engaged (the tip is pointing to the right, so it will not engage the teeth of the gear wheel). If this were reversed, it would be set up for LHW.

The way to figure this out is to visualize what happens when the spool is turning. In the current set up, with the top pawl engaged, when the spool is turning clockwise, the bottom edge of the pawl will be pushing against the spring towards the end of the spring, thus encountering less resistance than when the spool is turning counterclockwise and the bottom edge is pushing against the spring more towards where the spring is anchored (thus encountering more resistance). Since the spool will be turning clockwise when winding right-handed, it's set up as RHW (less resistance winding in, more resistance or drag, when line is being played out). Reverse the pawl positions (disengaging the top one and engaging the bottom one), and there will be less resistance in the counter-clockwise direction, which equates to winding left-handed.

A little tough to explain in writing, but hope it helps.....Monte

Return to “Classic Fly Reels”