Hardy 3 1/4 inch 1930s perfect

A place to discuss those classic and vintage fly reels, classics include modern variations of those of vintage. Please add your photos, stories or just join in conversation about your reels.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

Serpentine
Guide

Hardy 3 1/4 inch 1930s perfect

Post by Serpentine »

Hello gents
Firstly please delete if not allowed ( I couldn’t find anything that would indicate that )
I have a early 30s perfect 3 1/4 inch that’s in VG condition with no spool wobble unfortunately the reel will not fit on any of my bamboo rods as they are all modern built ,the reel foot is to large .
So I’m thinking of selling the reel ,the problem I have is I have no idea on what a fair price would be .
Any advice on the value would be greatly appreciated .
Thanks in advance for any help offered.

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Hardy 3 1/4 inch 1930s perfect

Post by SpringCreek »

To really assess and potentially value the reel, pictures are going to be needed. If this is indeed a 3 1/4" reel it could be one of a couple models, the Special Perfect or Wide Drum Perfect (with or without line guard). If you post pictures, the model can be confirmed, the condition assessed, the dating confirmed and a potential valuation established.

Looking forward to seeing the reel.

Jim
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

Serpentine
Guide

Post by Serpentine »

Hi Jim hope the photos help .

Serpentine
Guide

Post by Serpentine »

The reel is actually 3 1/8 sorry for my mistake.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

Early Mark II. Early 20's based on mk II with ivorine handle. Or very late teens like 1919? Neat reel. Without agate maybe $375-$425? Assuming no defects. Jim will undoubtedly get the date nailed down better than me.

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by SpringCreek »

Thanks for posting the pictures. The reel appears to have the smooth brass foot, which would date it between 1923 and 1927. The MK II check was introduced in the 1923 catalog and the smooth brass foot was used until 1927 when the ribbed foot was introduced. The handle appears to have been replaced. Originally the reel would have had a ebonite handle (1923 onward) and it would not have been held in place with a slotted screw. From what I can see it does not appear that the reel has an agate guide, which will make it a bit less valuable.

Based on the above, I would ballpark a value around $250. The market is a bit soft at the moment and the replacement handle and lack of an agate guide will hold the value down a bit.

Jim
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

Serpentine
Guide

Post by Serpentine »

Thanks very much Jim ,I paid $300.00 for the reel so I’m not to disappointed with the value of $250.00 . I think I will hang on to it for the time being.
Again thank you very much for your help it’s much appreciated
Very best regards Kris.

Return to “Classic Fly Reels”