Hardy Uniqua 3 1/8"

A place to discuss those classic and vintage fly reels, classics include modern variations of those of vintage. Please add your photos, stories or just join in conversation about your reels.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

Old Ghillie
Sport

Hardy Uniqua 3 1/8"

Post by Old Ghillie »

I have a very nice 3 1/8" Uniqua with Duplicated Mark 11 check and
tension regulator. This reel is in good operating condition with
very slight spool wobble.
As this was one of Hardy's less expensive models, I thought the options
on this reel were unusual. Pictures attached; could you please give me
an opinion on value and desirability for use with bamboo rods.
My thanks, Gary

Last edited by Old Ghillie on 08/25/19 15:41, edited 1 time in total.

Old Ghillie
Sport

Re: Hardy Uniqua 3 1/8"

Post by Old Ghillie »

bump

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by SpringCreek »

Nice Uniqua you have there. It does have the tension regulator which was an option that had to be requested. The reel itself is a nice example of a pre-war Uniqua dating between 1929 and WWII. It is well suited to be paired with a bamboo rod. As for value, the Uniqua like all Hardy reels have dropped considerably in value. In my opinion, the value is likely around $150 +/- $25 if you can find someone specifically looking for a reel with the tension regulator.
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

Old Ghillie
Sport

Post by Old Ghillie »

Hi Spring Creek,
Thanks for the info. I think I will keep it.
Gary

sovereign
Master Guide

Post by sovereign »

Old Ghillie wrote:I have a very nice 3 1/8" Uniqua with Duplicated Mark 11 check and
tension regulator. This reel is in good operating condition with
very slight spool wobble.
As this was one of Hardy's less expensive models, I thought the options
on this reel were unusual. Pictures attached; could you please give me
an opinion on value and desirability for use with bamboo rods.
My thanks, Gary
// To add a little more to Spring creeks reply, and may be for the future hope to give a little more reasonable value to Hardys older products.Hardy the Uniqua in the size of yours 31/8" are the most common of all sizes.From 1929-1939 around 4.000 were made ( according to Hardys production-book ) and they were sold worldwide. We don't have the figures of items made with a regulator for the contracted trout Hardy Uniquas ( 25/8",27/8",31/8",33/8" and 35/8" ) but for the Salmon-sizes we have, around 4-5% of the reels were build with a regulator witch was to be ordered extra and at a cost of around + 20% more than the original price. My guess is that probably fever of the trout Uniquas were ordered with this optional extra, but I don't know, but if I'm near right there will be under 200 Hardy Uniquas 31/8" with regulator around from the start and they were sold worldwide! How many have survived ? A little special with your reel is the stamping of the inside of the reel. T.A.G is the stamping of the initials of the Hardy reel-maker that made your reel, Thomas ArmstronG, he worked att Hardys between 1928 and 1979. Its the first time I seen a reel stamped with the reel-maker initials both in the cage and on the spool, normally the stamping will be found in the cage only on the Hardy Uniquas, and its not all reels that were stamped so a Hardy-reel with the reel-makers stamping is another + I think.( The stamping of Hardys fly-reels ended in the beginning of the 1950 th. for the stationary-drum and multiplying-reels 1965/1966) Good Hunting ! // Steen Ps: pictures of a Hardy Uniqua Salmon in the size 4" from the 1930 th. made by T.A.G, one of 16 or 50 made, all made between 1931 and 1933.The reason for me to give you a figure between16 to 50 is this : In the 1929 years catalogue Hardys mentioned a new locker for the spool, we call it the telephone latch ( look at both reels presented here and you understad) not all collectors are ceartain when this latch came in use, Hardys did,nt present it in picture in the catalogues before 1934, for me it seems a bid strange to produce a new and better latch for the spool and not show it in picture in the catalogues so I think 1933/1934 were the actually years when it came to use, but not all agree with me but stick to the text from the 1929 years catalogues and forward, but its first in the 1934 years catalogue we have a picture of the new spool-latch, if I'm right the 16 produced Hardy Uniquas with regulator 1933 are the right number, we probably never know!

Last edited by sovereign on 05/05/20 00:07, edited 1 time in total.

Old Ghillie
Sport

Post by Old Ghillie »

Thank you for the information, much appreciated.
Gary

Return to “Classic Fly Reels”