Winston Perfect 3 3/8” & Spare spool

A place to discuss those classic and vintage fly reels, classics include modern variations of those of vintage. Please add your photos, stories or just join in conversation about your reels.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

Shempy

Winston Perfect 3 3/8” & Spare spool

Post by Shempy »

Cleaning out the moving boxes and found my Winston Perfect and spare spool, haven’t seen to many of these reels around, would appreciate some info on values and history.

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Re: Winston Perfect 3 3/8” & Spare spool

Post by DaveNJ »

They're Wide Spool Perfects basically. Exceptionally smooth ones. From the 2000s.

Oh, as far as value, $500 at a minimum. I saw one go or $750 recently, though. Im far from an authority on Perfects, but these are so unbelievably smooth that should justify the money alone.

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by roycestearns »

Exceptional! It's funny what we find buried ... keep looking you might find the 8 1/2 3/2 Winston 5/6 bamboo rod that goes with it.
has it ever been fished?

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by SpringCreek »

The reels were made by Hardy for Winston to commemorate their 70th anniversary in 1999. There were plans to make about 3,000 of the reels in 3 sizes; 2 7/8", 3 1/8", and 3 3/8". At the time this was about the only way to get a Hardy Perfect reel in left hand wind. Once sold out they did climb in value, although they have fallen from their high as you can buy LHW Perfects and the entire market has softened. In excellent to new condition you should still expect in the $550 range for the reel if you still have the original box and paperwork. Spools are seldom seen, but can be hit and miss. With the box and papers I would expect an additional $125 + or -.

The earliest of these reels had an enamel finish and were prone to the paint flaking. The finish was changed to a powder coat to stop it and the color changed slightly as a result.

Congrats on owning a very nice reel.

Jim
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

Shempy

Post by Shempy »

Great info on the history!

mtnhiker85

Post by mtnhiker85 »

Have a 3 3/8” unused with extra spool, all documentation including factory boxes. All mint and unused. These can go for a good bit more than previously mentioned. Market is up and down. I’d buy them every day for $550 in unused condition.

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

- 2019 original post date -

From reading the posts above, it looks like the edition size - was 3,000 per size of each reel.
So there should not be any WP's stamped over number 3,000 on the market.

That particular model looks unique. Could just be the lighting.
looks a different shade and more of a thin coating
original post first photo
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Use the SEARCH for justification and reasoning.

Variant
Sport

Post by Variant »

I have a few winston perfects , the highest number is 2598.

Lou
In sport, method is everything. The more the skill the method calls for, the higher its yield of emotional stir and satisfaction, the higher its place must be in a sportsman’s scale of values . RODERICK HAIG - BROWN

MMelville

Post by MMelville »

That's a great find!

Return to “Classic Fly Reels”