Favorite Rod

History of the Goodwin Granger Rod Co. Feel free to discuss Goodwin Granger Rods here.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

fishnbanjo
The Canefather

Favorite Rod

Post by fishnbanjo »

No, not a your favorite rod post but rather a post about the Granger Favorite. Many folks feel the epitome of the Granger rods to be the Registered. I won't argue that since they are utterly gorgeous and outrageously scarce. In my mind the 2 most beautifully appointed rods in the entire Granger model base are the Deluxe and the Favorite.

Like a 16 ga SxS, from any maker, it is a form that is poetic in looks and balance. My candidate for the loveliest of the lovely would be the 1st generation Granger Favorite with sliding band in the 7'6", 3 pc 3oz, i.e. the GF7630.

Probably as scarce a  rod as the Registered in any length, I have a wonderful unmolested original condition example of this lovely creation with bag and labeled tube, in my mind no finer example of this model exists.

nativetrout
Master Guide

Re: Favorite Rod

Post by nativetrout »

what I wouldnt give to own that beauty!!

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by SpringCreek »

Nothing against the Registered rods, but I too personally like the cosmetics of the Favorites. I was admiring one a week or two ago and having some of those same thoughts. I still am in wonder of the amount of finishing effort it took for the rods, and all of it came from a production rod company.
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

deepseadavy

Post by deepseadavy »

Good evening gents,my name is Dave Laybourne and I live in North Devon,England.About 18 years ago I purchased a quantity of fly gear from an old gentleman who had given up fishing.Imagine my surprise,when,last week whilst researching the rods I came upon your forum and discovered that I am the proud owner of the twin brother of the rod pictured above.Apart from a tear in the label it is in pretty much the same original condition as the one pictured.When I get time I will upload some Pics if I may.
I am never likely to use this rod because it is far to good for an amateur like me to thrash a stream with and would like this beautifully crafted rod to go to someone who will understand and cherish it.
Looking forward to chatting with you guys.
Regards Dave. :pipe

canerodscom
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by canerodscom »

What a nice introduction to the board, Dave. Welcome to our little slice of cyberspace.

Harry Boyd

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

Welcome Dave!

John :pipe

Return to “Granger Rod Co. Rods”