Stanley L Eldert parabolic 15 8' 3.65 oz

History of the Paul H. Young Rod Co. Feel free to discuss Young Rods here.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

Nfp325

Stanley L Eldert parabolic 15 8' 3.65 oz

Post by Nfp325 »

I'm 23 years old and I have owned this rod for a few years now and I always tried finding out who exactly Stanley L Eldert(who I'm gonna call SLE for sake of this post)was but kind of gave up. Every once in a while I'll take a look to see if anything new comes up and just recently I saw the new 2017 header photo for the PHY database thread, which is a rare PHY nymph rod made for SLE. I have read online about maybe 2 other PHY rods made for SLE but I can't find any information in the data base for any other rods made for him, other than the satisfactory note he wrote to PHY about that rare nymph rod. Seeing that he had a few rods made by PHY and none are serialized i was curious if they were friends at all or if he was just a good customer to PHY.I would love to know anything more about this rod and/or Stanley Eldert himself but I am also very interested to hear all stories and history about PHY and his life and work! These are just a few pictures I have I can take some more

-Stanley L Eldert - Schenectady - Nov. 1951
-Parabolic 15 - 8'-3.65 oz. H.D.H. Para.tip - H.E.H dry fly tip.

ImageImageImage

quashnet
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Stanley L Eldert parabolic 15 8' 3.65 oz

Post by quashnet »

It is great to see another rod appear that was built for Stanley L. Eldert by Paul H. Young. This Para 15 rod, built in November 1951, shows many similarities to the 8'6" Eldert Nymph Rod built a year-and-a-half earlier:

My research has thus far turned up nothing, other than the letter printed in the catalog, that explains whether Eldert was a personal friend or just a good customer. The letter is seen here:

Notice that in his letter Eldert implies that he has in mind three more concepts for rods, and he would like Young to advise him on what would be the most efficient and most pleasant rod to fish with. As the Para 15 was Young's favorite rod model, it seems reasonable that Young would have recommended that he build a Para 15 for Eldert.

The degree of finish on both the Para 15 and the Nymph Rod suggest to me that Young was very deliberately producing for Stanley Eldert the highest level of work of which he was capable. Thank you for showing us this rod. More photos would be very welcome!
Please visit and bookmark the Paul H. Young Rod Database
Other rod databases: Dickerson , Orvis , Powell

chestatee
Master Guide

Post by chestatee »

Nfp325,

Robert/Quash is THE resource for all things PHY.

That rod you have is a rare gem.

Search the forum for Robert's posts, you will learn so much about Paul Young (and his often famous clients).

Thanks for sharing and welcome aboard!

Doug

quashnet
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by quashnet »

The Eldert Para 15 and Nymph rods share a distinctive appearance. For comparison, here is a Parabolic 17 built by PHY for Herb Witte in November 1951, the same month in which Stanley L. Eldert's Para 15 was made. The flamed cane is lighter and the wraps (although made with decorative spirals throughout, like Eldert's nymph rod) are more restrained in appearance due to thread color. Three flat-to-flat measurements taken at each station in frequent intervals along the blank show that this Para 17 was built to very close tolerances.

Please visit and bookmark the Paul H. Young Rod Database
Other rod databases: Dickerson , Orvis , Powell

Return to “Paul H. Young Rod Co.”