PHY Parabolic HDH

History of the Paul H. Young Rod Co. Feel free to discuss Young Rods here.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

Tquinto

PHY Parabolic HDH

Post by Tquinto »

Greetings All, joining from Texas in hopes of learning more about my dads PHY bamboo two piece fly rod that I just discovered, signed by PHY , built in 1957 , Parabolic 15" 8' 3.75 oz. H. D. H. MODEL 2277 . My father was a dry fly fisherman , I want to learn more about this rod so I can fit with appropriate reel and line weight , any insight would be greatly appreciated . Also should this rod have two tips or one?

Thank you

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: PHY Parabolic HDH

Post by SpringCreek »

Congratulations on having a fine fly rod. It is truly one of the great rods of the era. It will fish well with a 5 or 6 weight line, having been designed for the 6. It was likely a 2 piece rod originally. Can you post some pictures?

Jim
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

quashnet
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by quashnet »

The Parabolic 15 (sometimes labeled as the "Keller DeLuxe") was Paul H. Young's favorite bamboo rod among the models that he built and sold. An eight-foot, two-piece trout rod, it was always sold with two tips. Usually these tips were differently tapered. One of the tips was optimized for dry fly fishing, while the other, heavier "wet" tip took full advantage of the "parabolic action" for which Young rods were known. The rods were custom built to order, so a few Para 15 rods built with either two dry fly tips or two "wet" tips are known. You may find inked lettering on the remaining tip, near the male ferrule, that will indicate which tip you have. In the absence of inked lettering, a decorative red thread wrap at the base of the ferrule, and/or at the tip top, indicates a dry fly tip. In the absence of all other markings, a flat-to-flat measurement of the cane at the tip top of 5/64" indicates a "wet" parabolic tip; 4/64" indicates a dry fly tip. An overall weight of 3.75 oz. indicates a lighter-weight version of the Para 15. I imagine that it probably has a cap and ring reel seat over cork, or possibly dual lightweight aluminum rings. It's very unlikely to be fitted with a screwlock reel seat, which is typically found on Para 15s weighing four ounces or more. Paul H. Young sold Hardy reels, which are a good choice for use with the Para 15. My preference is for the 3" Hardy St. George, as shown in the photo below. On this rod, marked HDH, I would make my first test casts with a modern DT5F line, and then experiment with greater or lesser line weights, or with weight-forward lines, as indicated by your tests. If you have the dry fly tip, you might try a four-weight line just to see what happens. Results casting over water may differ from those obtained by lawn casting. Rod #2277 is completely new to me, and I would like to add its listing to the Paul H. Young Database. Any photos and further information that you can provide would be very much appreciated. For more information on Paul H. Young, see the PHY Database or read my brief biographical essay on the legacy and accomplishments of Paul H. Young.

Para 15 Keller DeLuxe, built October 1954 by Paul H. Young for Robert Terrill
Please visit and bookmark the Paul H. Young Rod Database
Other rod databases: Dickerson , Orvis , Powell

Tquinto

Post by Tquinto »

Thank you for you inputs , I will add some pictures soon.

Tquinto

Post by Tquinto »

Sorry for the poor quality, there seems to be a wrapping of some sort around the area where the description is. Also I don't see any decorative markings around the Ferrell indicating a dry fly tip nor any writing . This rod was custom made , it has the Paul Young inscription and the model number is on both peices of the rod . Let me know if I can answer any more pictures . Thanks much

quashnet
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by quashnet »

Here is the best I can do to enhance these images of PHY Para 15 #2277. It was a surprise to see a pocketed butt cap and a screwlock reel seat on a rod marked for so light a total weight, but there it is. There may be a die-stamp on the butt cap that reads "PAUL H. YOUNG CO. / DETROIT - MICH" in two lines of text enclosed within a rectangular cartouche. Both the butt and the surviving tip have issues. The clear overwraps may indicate repair of cracks or breaks. The rod was refinished and rewrapped with variegated thread at the ferrules and snake guides. The inked handwriting is definitely by Paul H. Young. Closer examination to assess repaired areas is recommended before casting and fishing.

Please visit and bookmark the Paul H. Young Rod Database
Other rod databases: Dickerson , Orvis , Powell

Tquinto

Post by Tquinto »

Quashnet, thanks for the reply and review . Yes it is a bit worn no doubt but seems sturdy and I can't tell any signs of weakness in the rod . By your earlier description the tip seems to be the nymphing tip not the dry fly tip. Thanks a lot .

Tony

chestatee
Master Guide

Post by chestatee »

What a great find. As others have noted, an original Para 15 is rare, valuable and I'd wager a superb caster! Well worth a proper restoration. Congrats.

Tquinto

Post by Tquinto »

Thank you, anyone have recommendations for someone that could be trusted to restore this back to original approximation ? Greatly appreciated if so.

Tony

dshx
Master Guide

Post by dshx »

Tony, Bob Summers apprenticed under Paul Young and is the person I and many other forum members go to for PHY restoration work: http://www.rwsummers.com/about-bob/

Dwight

Return to “Paul H. Young Rod Co.”