PHY "Driggs" rod

History of the Paul H. Young Rod Co. Feel free to discuss Young Rods here.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

quashnet
Bamboo Fanatic

PHY "Driggs" rod

Post by quashnet »

In the summer of 1952, Paul H. Young fished the Driggs River during a trip to Michigan's Upper Peninsula. Young's beloved eight-foot-long Para 15 was too big a rod for the stream, which measured no more than fourteen feet wide and was canopied by alders. However, the Driggs River provided perfect habitat for large brown trout and was well worth the trouble of designing a new rod to meet its challenges. So Young created the "Driggs River Special," commonly known as the "Driggs," a rod that will delicately fish small flies, but built with the strength to haul a heavy fish away from submerged roots.

The length of 7'2" seems unusual, but Young was already building a spinning rod of that same length called the "Lightweight." The ferrule size is 13/64. My Driggs rod, built circa 1953-55, measures 0.265" at the grip and then becomes very slightly thicker for a few inches before tapering toward the tip. As befits a rod used in tight places, the Driggs is superb for roll casting, driving a fly forward with speed and accuracy.
Please visit and bookmark the Paul H. Young Rod Database
Other rod databases: Dickerson , Orvis , Powell

fishnbanjo
The Canefather

PHY "Driggs" rod

Post by fishnbanjo »

SIGH! I just love the Driggs taper.............

TroutHermit
Sport

Re: PHY

Post by TroutHermit »

I am going to make a PHY Driggs. Can anybody provide the silk winding color(s), grip and reel seat style? Is what I see in the photos his standard design for the grip and seat? Thanks.

Return to “Paul H. Young Rod Co.”