Dickerson Wraps

History of the LL Dickerson Rod Co. Feel free to discuss Dickerson Rods here.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

RPL
Guide

Dickerson Wraps

Post by RPL »

What's the background on Dickerson wraps in a yellow/gold color? In the Schaaf/Stein book, there is mention of his using that color for some models designated as "Special" and also for rods built for some of this friends. I notice that the 8014 currently on a popular auction sight is wrapped in this color. I've seen three types of Dickerson wraps: the standard copper/brown tipped in black; transparent wraps (on a 7011 Special); and gold/yellow tipped in black (on a 8013 and 8014). Are there others?

fishnbanjo
The Canefather

Dickerson Wraps

Post by fishnbanjo »

Like yourself I always thought that the yellow wraps tipped black were for family, friends, companion (if a husband had a rod and another of the same model were made for his wife or other family member it would generally be yellow wraps tipped black to distinguish it from the other rod) or special request.

When I received my first Dickerson, a 7613, I thought it had yellow wraps tipped black and that the varnish had given it a luxurious orange gold color but when I sent it to Jim Schaaf he told me they were Italian Rose Gold and he had the original silk thread from Dickerson's shop.
He also said he'd only seen a few of these and they were generally gift rods and since mine was a 1 tip rod it was more than likely made that way and a gift. (see the story I wrote about the rod for more information)

According to Schaaf and Stein, in the Dickerson Book, Dickerson also wrapped rods yellow with no tipping, red, green, black and brown often without tipping but these tend to come from after he closed his shop in 1960 and would make a rod for a customer with what he had on hand. Hope this helps...............

RPL
Guide

Dickerson Wraps

Post by RPL »

Thanks, Banjo. I like the idea of a gift rod wrapped in a special gold, a very nice touch. I was the high bidder a couple of months ago at Lang's on the 8013, and the yellow gold wraps are beautiful. I'm trying to trace back to the original owner first by finding out more about the previous owner through Lang's.

Return to “Dickerson Rods”