Chasing the Taper - Documentary about bamboo rod making

This forum is for making announcements of general interest concerning the forum, events, gatherings, stuff about bamboo, wooden fly rods and classic reels. If you'd like your announcement stuck at the top until the event has passed, drop a note to one of the Moderators. Thanks.

Moderators: czkid, Ken M 44

bob2935
Master Guide

Re: Chasing the Taper - Documentary about bamboo rod making

Post by bob2935 »

just ordered my DVD. It's pricey. Hope it is good.

Trout120-1
Master Guide

Post by Trout120-1 »

Well worth it !!

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

I asked them if ones who bought the VOD will get a discount if you also order a DVD. They are considering but still no definitive answer

bob2935
Master Guide

Post by bob2935 »

Sure it will be good and always looking to break up the tedious nature of commercial tying. Know most of the people in the video and Bob Taylor is an all time favorite for sure. Being an avid motorcyclist just watched "the Long Way Round" and that helped in terms of breaking up the boredom while tying. Have a feeling I will be tying more than normal this year which is always a good thing. Looking forward to watching the movie.

Bohemian Bob

janjensendavis

Post by janjensendavis »

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your continued support! You can buy the film On-Demand or as a DVD at http://chasingthetaper.com/. If you purchased the On-Demand version and also would like the DVD, please send me an email for a discount at jan@tinboatproductions.com.

We are also working on international shipping. Thanks for your patience as we're distributing the film ourselves and figuring out the online retail store as we go!

Jan + Mark

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

I don't think the DVD is pricey at all given what it is and how meaningful it is that someone took an interest in this little niche and made a very good documentary about it. How much would it cost one to travel to a film festival to see it?

I am not made of money but I purchased the streaming version as soon as it was available, knowing that a hard copy was forthcoming and that I'd be paying for that as well. I want to support folks who take an interest in this craft to encourage more stuff like this.

Jeff

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

For me it's supporting people who have the passion to make such a documentary.
I bought the streaming version and will add the DVD too. Same as the revived version of 'Trout Grass'.

canogacreek
Guide

Post by canogacreek »

Just ordered the DVD, cannot wait to view this film. Thanks to everyone involved in the production, and especially the bamboo rod makers.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel but my memory".
Aldo Leopold

bob2935
Master Guide

Post by bob2935 »

Have to say that this is the best fly-fishing video I have ever seen. Big fan of cane but I do like all materials to fish with. For me the highlight is Bob Taylor, Rick Robbins and Dana as I know them and understand that they are at the top of their game plus all are just good guys in general. Do not have any firsthand experience with Brandon or Aroner but understand that their work is perfection. Really like how they connected the past with the present including the history of Leonard. For me not a dull moment in this DVD plus have been to the shops of Taylor (many times) and Rick once . It did bum me out that seeing Bob's shop as it was and the fact that it is now gone. Really enjoyed all my visits with Bob as he is such a class act as I am so tired of all the blow hards in the business that cannot hold a candle to Bob Taylor. Cannot wait to watch this DVD again. It is a must see for anyone that appreciates the true craftsmen of cane. The production quality is top shelf and no banjo music soundtracks thank god.

Bohemian Bob
Last edited by bob2935 on 03/26/20 07:22, edited 2 times in total.

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

I received my copy yesterday and put it in the DVD player immediately. A wonderful film! I was actually visiting the Garrison exhibit in the CFFCM Wulff Gallery rod shop the day they shot the scenes with Jed Dempsey, having a nice conversation with Jan. I have been looking forward to this viewing ever since that day and was not disappointed!

Congratulations to Tin Boat Productions and everyone who made this film such an excellent documentary of the art!
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

janjensendavis

Post by janjensendavis »

Hi everyone,
Mark and I just wanted to write to say thank you for all of the amazing comments about our film. We both love fly fishing, and for us this was a 5 year long labor of love. We decided to create this film because we thought it was important to capture the history of this craft as well as profile some of these master rod makers and preserve a bit of history. Thank you again for your continued support of the film. It really means a lot to us. These kinds of reviews and comments keep us going and make us happy to be able to do what we do.
Thank you!
Jan + Mark
http://chasingthetaper.com/

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, Thank you for making this wonderful film. My heroes are in it, and seeing and hearing them they remain my heroes. Bamboo rods are 'Americana' and this film is as well.

Jay Edwards

JabaliHunter
Guide

Post by JabaliHunter »

I thoroughly enjoyed watching this - sent you an email about buying the DVD version also. It’s a fascinating glimpse in to the world of these famous makers and will sit alongside titles like The Lost World of Mr Hardy.

Paul B
Master Guide

Post by Paul B »

Hoorah , finally got to navigate my way around the website and my DVD has been ordered this last week .

m1911
Sport

Post by m1911 »

I complained to Jan and Mark via email for the past couple of years because it wasn’t available to own.
Wonderful film and so glad I finally received my DVD earlier this week.
Great job and keep up the fine work....
Very much appreciated!

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

It's a very enjoyable vid to watch (recommend with a good smokey scotch). My old boss from my Hardy rep days back in the 90's sent me one as a surprise, complete with the "Chasing the Taper" bumper sticker.

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PT48 »

I was finally able to get a DVD version of Chasing the Taper. It is beautifully made and extremely interesting. Tastefully reverential. Highly recommended.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Chasing the Taper - Documentary about bamboo rod making

Post by ibookje »

Check out the revived edition of Trout Grass. The option to watch the documentary with commentary track with David James Duncan and Glenn Brackett is amazing. This is new. For this this DVD is worth the price. I’ll have to watch it with this track in its whole.

Bonus scenes: Deleted and unused scenes are a nice addition too.

And me being a financial backer of this edition it’s nice to see my name in the end credits

$20 for this new edition is worth it in my opinion, even if you got the original DVD. For bamboo fans it’s a must buy. Get it before it sells out!

Buy at: troutgrass.com

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

The new edition of Trout Grass was worth the $20 for sure. I've watched Chasing the Taper about 4 times now and it's a really well done film as well.

Jeff

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by SpringCreek »

If you have Amazon prime the new version of Trout Grass is there and included in prime membership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

Return to “Forum Announcements”