Sante Fishing Banjo Giuliani Has passed .

This forum is for making announcements of general interest concerning the forum, events, gatherings, stuff about bamboo, wooden fly rods and classic reels. If you'd like your announcement stuck at the top until the event has passed, drop a note to one of the Moderators. Thanks.

Moderators: czkid, Ken M 44

CMcDowell
Guide

Re: Sante Fishing Banjo Giuliani Has passed .

Post by CMcDowell »

I met Sante when he came to the Metolius Bamboo Rod Fair in Camp Sherman Oregon. He came to my table, introduced himself, and bought one of my rods; a Dickerson 8013 taper. I was so impressed with his graciousness. He invited myself and others over to the cabin he was staying in and we were blessed to cast the contents of Pandora's Box. A.J. Thramer and I were allowed to mic several rods for our taper collections and Sante seemed so pleased to share his prized possessions. Hanging out for an evening and casting those wonderful rods over green grass and between the large Ponderosa pines with Sante, Greg Hall, Dan Dixon, A.J. and several other bamboo enthusiasts is one of my fondest life memories. Sante was truly a gracious, kind, and uplifting person. I'm very saddened to hear that he has passed.

wctc1
Master Guide

Post by wctc1 »

Chris, I remember that beautiful evening and night on the Metolius: Sante, Pandora's Box, and fine cane men.

It was the only time I was to meet Sante. He was so quiet, polite, reserved he was almost not there, like a spirit by the great and wonderful river.

Pentalux
Master Guide

Post by Pentalux »

Rest in Peace Sante.

This country is indebted to you - for your service and your mind.

This forum lives because of you - having effectively kept it afloat for years.

Thank you for your generosity.

You will be forever missed.

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

I am just reading this news for the first time...
... I sure would have liked to have known him.
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Use the SEARCH for justification and reasoning.

gofish60
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by gofish60 »

Many of you don't know this, but if not for Sante picking up the reins when Clark Davis left the forum, it would have folded. Sante and I agonized about what to do for many hours and he finally said-"I'll do it." A great guy, who certainly will be missed.
Godspeed Sante!
gofish

bigskybum
Master Guide

Post by bigskybum »

The best of what this forum and community are all about - an example of civility who will be missed.

RIP Sante

sowa
Guide

Post by sowa »

Rest in Peace, Sante.

MtBrittany
Master Guide

Post by MtBrittany »

I did not notice this until now. RIP Sante.

JUSTAPAYNE
Sport

Post by JUSTAPAYNE »

MtBrittany wrote:I did not notice this until now. RIP Sante.
+1 I didn't know him, only his posts and his efforts to the forum. I understand your sadness.
RIP Sante.

amazingwoody
Guide

Post by amazingwoody »

Oh dear I just saw this and like many am stunned and saddened. I never got to meet Banjo but had several conversations with him regarding his Kushner rod. Banjo's belonged to a good friend of John Voelker's while mine belonged to John himself. We both counted ourselves as lucky guys to be the new custodians of such fine rods. What a guy and how fortunate we, his many friends, are to have known him. You're in good company Sante, save us a good spot around the bend....
Woody

winston59
Master Guide

Post by winston59 »

Thanks for the stewardship of this website and kind words all these years...

turtledoc
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by turtledoc »

I just learned of Sante's passing......and though this is very late, just wanted to echo what many have already said in praising his character. Sante was a truly wonderful person, a kind soul who made those he interacted with better people. I regret not staying in touch in recent years but am thankful for memories of the man.

fefferje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by fefferje »

Unfortunately I never met Sante, but he was very kind with help when I had questions about dating an old Payne 214. It’s sad to hear that he’s died, but from all the praise he’s garnered he appears to be very much alive in spirit. May his spirit continue to grace this forum. Blessings and condolences to his family and close friends. Jed
Fefferfly

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

He is not gone, but lives on in the waters and beautiful places we fish. Remember him there.
A good, good man.

OldCane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by OldCane »

Rest in Peace brother Sante. I hope the waters in heaven run cold and clear for you. I'll miss the long talks at the gatherings.
I don't have a PhD, but I do have a DD214.

fastsled1
Sport

Post by fastsled1 »

Rest In Peace.....
Formally Fastsled

Cane Head
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Cane Head »

Wow!!!! Take a sabbatical only to re-enter the stream to find others have waded upstream to the Head Waters. Doesn't seem that long ago that Sante showed up on VFS back in the 90's and quickly got involved in our side channel bamboo discussions. Like everything he got involved with - bamboo or pipes, it was with gusto and enthusiasm. The Cracker Barrel was his brain child and it lives on in a little blue tome of bamboo knowledge. And for a while - he ensured this site didn't wink out into the internet dark hole of faded sites.

Thanks for the years of keeping the bamboo fire burning. I hear the Hendrickson hatch there is magnificent. Save some trout for us.

Cane

DeHart16
Guide

Post by DeHart16 »

Man. Unfortunately I have been busy growing up- 2 kids and a 3rd on the way.

Prior to that- I can’t put in to words what Sante meant to me. The information he shared online when I began my obsession with Bamboo fly rods in college was invaluable.

We eventually met in person when he sold me an original Fred Thomas Rod. He was so happy that I was purchasing the rod and that I appreciated the history with it, he hugged me. Huge smile.

A lot of rods, reels, and other gear I have sold. That Thomas rod will stay with me forever.

Eperous
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eperous »

A late read to this post, but am very sorry to read this... I truly enjoyed his posts, and his book The Cracker Barrel...

R.I.P. my friend....

Ed

fishugo
Guide

Post by fishugo »

Will miss his warmth wisdom and kindness.

Return to “Forum Announcements”