Ray Gould has Passed

This forum is for making announcements of general interest concerning the forum, events, gatherings, stuff about bamboo, wooden fly rods and classic reels. If you'd like your announcement stuck at the top until the event has passed, drop a note to one of the Moderators. Thanks.

Moderators: czkid, Ken M 44

Stevefx

Ray Gould has Passed

Post by Stevefx »

The Seattle Time Obituaries noted Ray's passing July 27, 2019.

"A mechanical engineer by training, his true passion was fly fishing and building bamboo fly rods, authoring three books on the subject. "

I first met Ray at a sporting show in Seattle about 20 years ago. A consummate gentleman, Ray was so forthcoming and generous with sharing his knowledge and experiences. He was the inspiration for my developing an interest in making bamboo rods. He will be missed.

Steve F

canerodscom
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Ray Gould has Passed

Post by canerodscom »

Thanks for sharing Steve. We will all miss him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pentalux
Master Guide

Post by Pentalux »

Thank you for sharing the sad news. Ray was a true gentleman of the craft. He was instrumental to my development and remember several phone conversations with. Even after he downsized and closed his shop, he was still sharing the knowledge and helping others. His book, Cane Rods Tips & Tapers is still one of the best no BS bamboo rod books written with literally hundreds of tapers from many many makers Granger, Halstead, Payne, Young, etc. That book solidified my understanding of rod action and I still think in terms of his slope rates - Rest in Peace Mr. Gould.

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by SpringCreek »

Sad to hear that Ray has passed away. Through his books he leaves a legacy for others to follow. Just a few weeks ago I sat down and looked through his books after seeing one of his rods for sale. May his family find peace in knowing that his work touched many.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

toothybugs
Master Guide

Post by toothybugs »

Awww. RIP sir.

These posts always catch my throat for a second or few.
- NJG
(It's Nate, but I generally only sign my initials.)

Got loopage?
http://plumbrookrods.wordpress.com

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

It is definitely sad to hear! He will live forever, however, for having shared so much through his books!

peregholm

Post by peregholm »

The Seattle Time Obituaries said that Ray Gould was "authoring three books on the subject". I know two of his books (Cane Rods, tips and tapers and Constructing Cane Rods), have I missed one?
Per

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by SpringCreek »

Fly Fishing for Kamloops Trout. Not about rod building, but still related.
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

Return to “Forum Announcements”