Wayne Cattanach

This forum is for making announcements of general interest concerning the forum, events, gatherings, stuff about bamboo, wooden fly rods and classic reels. If you'd like your announcement stuck at the top until the event has passed, drop a note to one of the Moderators. Thanks.

Moderators: czkid, Ken M 44

troutwings
Guide

Wayne Cattanach

Post by troutwings »

This was sent by Doug Hall yesterday..
I have some troubling information to share, I'm sure that there are many of us that have much we owe Wayne Cattanaugh for. He started my rod making career most all of my friends and is a dear friend. I will stop beating around the bush he has liver cancer and they already have called in hospice care. He will possibly be transitioning within hours. Thank you Wayne I love you and your family and will miss you. By all means please share this with anyone that might not be on facebook and share your thoughts and memories about him. Doug hall

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Wayne Cattanach

Post by 3creeks »

I've never met Wayne, nor have I spoken with him, but his book and VHS tapes have been my personal mentor more than any other source. I wish I could have met him and thanked him personally.

Jeff

Proofflyfishing
Guide

Post by Proofflyfishing »

This is sad news. When I first started building bamboo rods Wayne came to my house and let me borrow a number of his personal tools and walked me through the basics of planing strips. His generosity left a imprint and he will be missed.
http://www.proofflyfishing.com
Tutorials, cork, reel seats, Snake Brand guides, agate guides...

OldCane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by OldCane »

Many of us learned from Wayne via the old rodmaker forum or from his book and other work. I did get to meet him at a Grayrock gathering years ago prayers for him and his family.
I don't have a PhD, but I do have a DD214.

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

This is truly sad news. He helped me understand a lot of esoteric aspects of bamboo tapers, refinishing, and repair - back when I first got into bamboo in the mid to late 1990s. I was fortunate enough to talk to him when I first started and his enthusiasm was contagious. He was a steadfast and very knowledgeable voice in the bamboo rodmaking community for a lot of years and will be sorely missed.

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by SpringCreek »

What sad and difficult news this is. Wayne has contributed greatly to the learning of others and without his efforts many of us would not have built their first rod. I will keep Wayne, his family and friends in my thoughts during this difficult time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

canerodscom
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by canerodscom »

I talked with Wayne on the phone twice last week. He is really struggling physically but seemed to be in a good place emotionally. I'm glad we got a chance to visit in depth at the last SRG and will miss my friend when those opportunities are no longer available.

Harry

eapling
Guide

Post by eapling »

That is sad.

Boomaker

Post by Boomaker »

Haven't met Wayne, but have his book, VHS tape on rodmaking, and have made a few of his tapers. When I started the instructor I had was greatly influenced by Wayne.

RAZINGKANE
Guide

Post by RAZINGKANE »

Those who knew Wayne had a pretty fair idea this was coming and I can only say how deeply sad this makes me. I learned from Wayne in the "Furnace Class" of 2001 in the old Fly Factory "Club House." It was mid-August and was nearly 100 every day for a week. Highly unusual for Grayling. We worked for a couple hours in the morning, went back to bed through the heat of the day, then returned and worked to the wee hours. I often wondered if Wayne ever slept eight hours at a stretch.

Anyway...friendships were born that week, maybe just out of shared misery. I can only say I feel more than privileged to call Wayne a friend as well as a mentor. We shared more in common than just rod making and had several mutual acquaintances before we even met. The path he started me, as well as several others down provided a framework for those of us that wanted to learn the craft but didn't have a clue where to start. Thank you Wayne, you will be missed. I will never be able to listen to the Bee Gees again without thinking of you!

John Niemann

oldschoolcane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oldschoolcane »

So very sad, I had hoped he was getting better.

PlaneOldMike
Guide

Post by PlaneOldMike »

Very sad news. My condolences to his family, friends and many acquaintances.
Through his VHS/DVD tutorial that I have, he has taught me all the basics of this craft. After watching it so many times, I feel as though I met him. He most definitely left an imprint on me. His calmness in the video tutorial was contagious, and has helped me to create calmness in my hobby.

Thank you Mr. Cattanach, for all your lessons.
May you be at peace in whatever realm is after this one.
Just a guy, trying to build a tool.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Thank you Mr. Cattanach for your monumental contributions to our sport.

troutnut
Master Guide

Post by troutnut »

So sorry to here this I've learned alot from his book.
Condolences to his family.
Fred

RWHoffhines
Master Guide

Post by RWHoffhines »

So saddened to hear. I owe a lot to him from early on. Such a generous man.

k7zbob
Guide

Post by k7zbob »

I finally got to meet Wayne in person at Grayrock 2013 after reading his fine book and building a few rods. I was discussing the PHY Princess taper with him and he pulled out the original taper from his notes - I am holding it in the photo. A very nice guy and a fount of knowledge.

ShenRods
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ShenRods »

So much this community owes to Wayne. He started a movement that is still strong today. It is hard to understate his impact on Bamboo Rodmaking. His book, the classes he gave, the talks, even the gatherings are owed to him. His legacy will live on. I will miss him. I took his first class in Arkansas at the White River Artisan School and stayed with him at Fultons Blue Ribbon Lodge. He was always accessible and sought to spread the knowledge of this craft. He has passed many torches on that we carry today.

Chris

Eperous
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eperous »

Another sad read, as I've been away/busy... I did not know Wayne at all, but I have a Lee Orr cane rod, that got me back into bamboo a decade+ ago based upon Cattanach rod tapers, that a cherish very much...

R.I.P. ....

Ed

Return to “Forum Announcements”