Russell Chatham

This forum is for making announcements of general interest concerning the forum, events, gatherings, stuff about bamboo, wooden fly rods and classic reels. If you'd like your announcement stuck at the top until the event has passed, drop a note to one of the Moderators. Thanks.

Moderators: czkid, Ken M 44

pmcroberts
Master Guide

Russell Chatham

Post by pmcroberts »

I was informed the other day that Russell Chatham is no longer with us. I was fortunate to have known him through the West Coast Salmon and Steelhead scene. A terrific author, artist and fly fisherman. His contributions to the sport were endless. He will surely be missed for many reasons!!! Rest In Peace my friend!!

Paul

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Russell Chatham

Post by BigTJ »

I guided Russ in the 1990’s in Alaska. It was an unforgettable experience. He fished a glass rods and Northern CA steelhead patterns for Silvers. He caught more than his fair share. Sad to hear he is gone but he will live in through his artwork and his contribution to the angling community.

John

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

What a great guy Russell was. Always enjoyed seeing him at his restaurant in Livingston. His art is timeless and really captures the essence of what the Yellowstone among other places “feels” like. Every time I look at his work I can feel the wind, water and air over the river. For years I jokingly called the CMR the Russell Chatham wilderness. Always made him laugh. See you around! Thanks for the memories.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

I met Russ back at the old Clapp and Treat in CT and Books and Co in NYC in the early 90s (with Jim Harrison and Dan Gerber). He was very kind to send me some books and articles he had written when I was a grad student, and didn't have a nickel. Exchanged quite a few letters and phone calls when he had Clark City Press, and it was always great fun to pass through their offices and catch up with those folks. Once Peter Fonda answered the office phone when I called. Gatz Hjortsberg was also around. The restaurant was a jewel, but obviously could not make money with the quality of food and prices . I would occasionally send an art book from a gallery in France or Spain, and he would always send something interesting back. I recall he wanted to check out some of the salmon rivers in the north of Spain. I sit here looking at some of his original sketches used in CCP editions of Dark Waters and Silent Seasons. Bought a couple, but most he just sent...and then years later, laughed at what they were selling for at auction. Big-hearted. A very, very good writer, he was so recognized as an artist, his gift for writing was largely overlooked. I had heard he was not doing well, but was glad to hear some of the folks from SF/GGAC made a trip to see him before he passed. I like to watch the video of Winston Waters and review the scene with Tom Morgan and Russ laughing like hell before fishing. I like to think of them looking at us now, doing the same thing.........

Fred Kretchman
Sport

Post by Fred Kretchman »

Sorry to hear of his passing... I met him often in Livingston, usually for breakfast while I was staying with Joe Garman. Joe introduced us and Russ would entertain us with stories while getting our food... preparing us for another great day of fishing in Paradise. I always enjoyed our brief visits and wish we could have fished together. May he rest in peace!
Fred Kretchman

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

I met Russell in 2008 on a trip to Livingston to fish the spring creeks and Yellowstone River. We talked about fishing the local waters and bamboo fly rods. I purchased 4 lithographs from him. He gave me details on how they should be framed. I took good notes. He then asked me where I would be having them framed and I replied a shop in the Twin Cities. He then suggested a guy he used do the framing because he knew exactly how it was to be done. I took him up on the offer and am very happy with the results.

We spent about 1 1/2 hours in his studio looking through the drawers that he stored the lithographs in.

A fine gentleman who will be missed by both the fly fishing and the art community.

RMorrison
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by RMorrison »

Return to “Forum Announcements”