Attn:**DEVASTATING LOSS OF THE BOB TAYLOR ROD SHOP**GoFundMe

This forum is for making announcements of general interest concerning the forum, events, gatherings, stuff about bamboo, wooden fly rods and classic reels. If you'd like your announcement stuck at the top until the event has passed, drop a note to one of the Moderators. Thanks.

Moderators: czkid, Ken M 44

Pentalux
Master Guide

Attn:**DEVASTATING LOSS OF THE BOB TAYLOR ROD SHOP**GoFundMe

Post by Pentalux »

Terrible news. Legendary rod maker Bob Taylor of H.L. Leonard and T&T lineage has just lost his entire shop to a horrific fire today. For those that know Bob, PLEASE HELP him out if you can - not only did he loose the entire rod shop with all his materials, tools and vintage rods, but the back room was holding all of the families Christmas presents - most notably his wife and daughters. Hate to be the bearer of such horrible news but for those that know him please help them out if you at all can. Please spread the word.

GoFundMe added:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/hyaqe-bob-ta ... are-flow-1
Last edited by Pentalux on 12/26/19 15:32, edited 3 times in total.

fragmentum
Master Guide

Re: Attn:**DEVASTATING LOSS OF THE BOB TAYLOR ROD SHOP**

Post by fragmentum »

Devastating news! So Sorry to read this!

Flyfishbill
Master Guide

Post by Flyfishbill »

Terrible news. Can someone post an address, so we can send funds?

fragmentum
Master Guide

Post by fragmentum »

Flyfishbill wrote:Terrible news. Can someone post an address, so we can send funds?
I believe it is:
R.D. Taylor
15525 Ct. Rt. 18
Hobart NY. 13788

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by SpringCreek »

Terrible news for both Bob personally as well as the entire building community. My thoughts go out to Bob and his family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

Pentalux
Master Guide

Post by Pentalux »

That was the shop address - anything sent there will get to Bob (his house is next door).
Last edited by Pentalux on 12/24/19 10:45, edited 1 time in total.

resman549
Sport

Post by resman549 »

That is just awful!!

Flyfishbill
Master Guide

Post by Flyfishbill »

chestatee
Master Guide

Post by chestatee »

Bob is a great guy for any that have not talked with or met him. A legendary rod maker, generous, jovial and pleasant. His rod wrapping skills will knock your socks off.

What a horrible loss.

I've used the following format for the street address when shipping and mailing (for years):

15525 County Highway 18
Hobart, NY 13788

We'll be sending something today. Thank you Rob for sharing this news.

sodbank
Master Guide

Post by sodbank »

Awful news , Thoughts and prayers to the family.
Thankfully no one was hurt.

Doug

Oxbow
Master Guide

Post by Oxbow »

What a sad and terrible loss. All the best to Bob and his family as they work to recover from this.

Pentalux
Master Guide

Post by Pentalux »

Bob is truly old school. Not on web but anything sent to the shop address will get to him. Even letters of encouragement and concern would be well received I'm sure. Fragmentum and chestatee thank you for posting the address.

red 1
Master Guide

Post by red 1 »

I had rods there for Bob to work his magic on. Called him last week to see about dropping by on the 27th. I will still stop by to let him know how sorry I am for his loss and hopefully he and his wife are ok. I only meet him twice but I really liked Bob. I hope he can recover from the fire.
I want to be buried with my favorite rod.
I hear the Styx River has Fish.

uniquafly
Master Guide

Post by uniquafly »

I truly hate to hear this. I’m not acquainted with Bob or his family but my thoughts and prayers go out for them in this terrible time. I’m thinking it might be a good thing for someone to start a “fund me page” for Bob and his family? God bless them!
“He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman.”

Norman Maclean

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

I agree with the "Go Fund Me" page if someone knows to set one up and let us know the link. I think the GFM has seen it's share of abuse but something like this is it's real purpose.

Did not know Bob but would definitely help if able to and what a horrible way to enter the Christmas holiday.

Rons Rods
Sport

Post by Rons Rods »

I've shared to several other sites. I'd gladly contribute to a Go Fund Me.

Pentalux
Master Guide

Post by Pentalux »

Working on it but don't (didn't) even have a Facebook page so I'm a little behind the curve with but a GoFundMe now up. Please help Bob out if you can. The fund is noted as for rebuilding the shop but this is really an avenue for some additional funds for Bob and his family during this extremely difficult time. Please spread the word.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/hyaqe-bob-ta ... are-flow-1
Last edited by Pentalux on 12/27/19 09:47, edited 1 time in total.

DireWolf53
Master Guide

Re: Attn:**DEVASTATING LOSS OF THE BOB TAYLOR ROD SHOP**GoFu

Post by DireWolf53 »

I noticed this on my Facebook feed just now and thought I'd pass it along here.

Please note that I do not know Mr Taylor or the others mentioned in this note. I just thought a bit more info regarding this tragedy could do no harm.

Update from Michael Canazon regarding the fire at Bob Taylor’s rod shop. If you’re not familiar with the rodmaking legacy of Bob Taylor, search Facebook for the bamboo rodmaking documentary “Chasing The Taper”. There will be more info posted there. There’s a go fund me campaign on that page for Bob. Visiting Mike and Bob in the Catskills is on Mary Lankford Bolin and my bucket list. We lost the shop, but we’ve still got Bob. Still hope to make that trip some day.

Here’s Mike’s note:

There have been many people inquiring about the horrible fire that destroyed Bob Taylor’s shop this past Monday. I was there with Bob that morning when we decided to head into town for lunch. We met rob smith, ate, and then headed back to Bob’s shop, which was totally engulfed in fire. There was nothing we could do except wait for the local fire departments who admirably did their job. Everything was lost in the fire. A lifetime of work. I can only say that we were all in shock. I am not sure that the feeling has passed. Luckily, no one was injured and the Taylor residence next door was not damaged.
Many people have called to ask what they can do to help. At this point, I would only say that a card offering words of solace or encouragement or whatever you may feel at the time would be appreciated. Many have offered all kinds of ideas for getting the R.D. Taylor rodshop up and running again. With the support of the rodmaking community, I am sure we could make this happen. While we all would like to see that happen, right now, Bob is not thinking of starting over again. This was a traumatic event. I spoke with Bob Wednesday and his spirits were good. Maybe, with the passage of time, he will miss all the slivers in his hands and want to start up again. I am sure we can all get together at that point and help put the R.D. TAYLOR rodshop back in business.
Here is Bob’s address for those of you who would like to let him know your thoughts. I am sure he would love to hear from you all.
Bob Taylor
15525 county highway 18
Hobart, NY 13788
Last edited by DireWolf53 on 06/04/20 14:50, edited 1 time in total.
"I am not against golf, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering trout." - Paul O'Neil

Trout120-1
Master Guide

Post by Trout120-1 »

Oh God ! What a terrible thing to happen to this humble quiet guy and his family. I've known Bob for 40 years and he truly didn't deserve this. He is one of the last true masters.

flyflkr
Guide

Post by flyflkr »

Trout120-1 wrote:Oh God ! What a terrible thing to happen to this humble quiet guy and his family. I've known Bob for 40 years and he truly didn't deserve this. He is one of the last true masters.
I thought the same thing. Bob is too good a man to have this happen. Saying prayers for him and his family.

Return to “Forum Announcements”