Any News

This forum is for making announcements of general interest concerning the forum, events, gatherings, stuff about bamboo, wooden fly rods and classic reels. If you'd like your announcement stuck at the top until the event has passed, drop a note to one of the Moderators. Thanks.

Moderators: czkid, Ken M 44

Trout120-1
Master Guide

Any News

Post by Trout120-1 »

Any news on Bob Taylor regarding how he is doing ? We're not even half way there on the Go Fund Me. Hope he's doing better.

Pentalux
Master Guide

Re: Any News

Post by Pentalux »

Haven't spoken with him in a few days but last time we talked he was in good spirits. Unfortunately he took a tumble on the icy ground outside his house so was feeling a little stiff and sore but overall was clearly touched by the outpouring of support. I have relayed most of the messages received with the GoFundMe donations - some have definitely made him laugh. Have also received an incredibly generous (exceptional) cane offering for him too. I will give him a call tomorrow and get an update.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Pentalux wrote:Haven't spoken with him in a few days but last time we talked he was in good spirits. Unfortunately he took a tumble on the icy ground outside his house so was feeling a little stiff and sore but overall was clearly touched by the outpouring of support. I have relayed most of the messages received with the GoFundMe donations - some have definitely made him laugh. Have also received an incredibly generous (exceptional) cane offering for him too. I will give him a call tomorrow and get an update.
Thanks for the update. Mr. Taylor sounds like one tough hombre'.

Pentalux
Master Guide

Post by Pentalux »

Spoke with Bob today. Sounds like he is doing pretty well, all things considered. They are planning to fully clear the site over the next few days. On a positive note, his planing forms were one of the few things to have survived. Told him that sounds like an omen. He did say that he does hope to eventually get back to building a few rods a year.

The one thing that I think bothers him the most is that he no longer has any of his own rods.

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

Thanks for the update!

munsey w
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by munsey w »

Rob- Thanks for the update....makes me sick he lost his own rods!!

Pentalux
Master Guide

Post by Pentalux »

What is making me the sickest is the select group of people who do not think we should be doing anything for Bob right now. They feel as though "we don't need to be throwing a bunch of money at him right now..." as one put it to me. I will refrain from compromising this site with anything more specific but for those who wish to discuss the details please feel free to call.

Bob Taylor is a living legend in the world of bamboo fly rods and people are certainly entitled to their opinion. However, for certain people (in the industry no less) to play judge and jury with not only Bob but also those who have contributed to his recovery, by condemning their efforts to support Bob during what is probably one of the most traumatic times in his life, has been eye-opening. Literal hypocrites! I can only hope and pray each and every one of them loses their shop, tying room, boat house or man-cave along with every single item connected to the craft and sport they have loved and lived their entire lives by -- that it all go up in a blaze right in front of your eyes!!! And then that you* (if you are reading this and I hope you are, otherwise the word should be they) receive exactly what you/they believe for Bob and have given yourselves -- that no one offer any help or support to you other than of course your hollow condolences. That you should for the rest of your life no longer engage in the craft that you love perhaps more than anything in life because a certain select group of people think they know what's best for you.

It's despicable.

mer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by mer »

Giving, freely giving, benefits both parties. I don't begrudge anyone from giving or not giving, because frankly it is "their resource (time, money, whatever)" that is being given.
But while I may disagree with "who/what" someone else is giving to, I will never condemn them for it. Just don't try and force me to give to something I disagree with.

Fires are devastating. Basically blink of an eye, you're left with what you're wearing, what's in your pockets.

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

I've not known Bob personally, but I agree with Pentalux and Mer and am sick and tired of the cynicism that shows up frequently these days on this Forum and elsewhere.

Fact is, it sadly doesn't help anyone one bit.

Scott
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

Trout120-1
Master Guide

Post by Trout120-1 »

Shame on those jerks. Bob and his FAMILY wholeheartedly deserves the money.

bob2935
Master Guide

Post by bob2935 »

[quote="Pentalux"]What is making me the sickest is the select group of people who do not think we should be doing anything for Bob right now. They feel as though "we don't need to be throwing a bunch of money at him right now..." as one put it to me. I will refrain from compromising this site with anything more specific but for those who wish to discuss the details please feel free to call.

Bob Taylor is a living legend in the world of bamboo fly rods and people are certainly entitled to their opinion. However, for certain people (in the industry no less) to play judge and jury with not only Bob but also those who have contributed to his recovery, by condemning their efforts to support Bob during what is probably one of the most traumatic times in his life, has been eye-opening. Literal hypocrites! I can only hope and pray each and every one of them loses their shop, tying room, boat house or man-cave along with every single item connected to the craft and sport they have loved and lived their entire lives by -- that it all go up in a blaze right in front of your eyes!!! And then that you* (if you are reading this and I hope you are, otherwise the word should be they) receive exactly what you/they believe for Bob and have given yourselves -- that no one offer any help or support to you other than of course your hollow condolences. That you should for the rest of your life no longer engage in the craft that you love perhaps more than anything in life because a certain select group of people think they know what's best for you.

It's despicable.

I have have read nothing but heartfelt sympathetic responses in terms of Bob's loss on the forum. I too am a big Taylor fan and sent him a check. Not sure where this negativity is coming from. Never used go fund me and I really hate Facebook. I work in the mental health field and you cannot believe all the issues created by Facebook with my clients. . Are you sure you are not overreacting. The cane community tends to be very supportive. Berating non contributing people on the forum to me is not the best way to get people to kick in funds.
Bohemian Bob

Pentalux
Master Guide

Post by Pentalux »

Not sure where the negativity is coming from either. Please be clear that my previous comment has nothing to do with wether or not someone chose to give to Bob - as I have told many people, the simple cards and calls have been tremendous and are what positively effects Bob the most and why I included his mailing address in the GoFundMe. The added private notes sent with some of the donations have meant as much or probably more than the money.

The quote - and it's a dead nuts accurate quote, about not needing to throw money at him right now, was stated to me prior to the fund even going up. Again, I have no issues with anyone giving or not giving. I do have an issue with people presenting themselves one way - to Bob no less! - but are clearly by their words and actions taking a different stance. This however did not motivate my post either as I was also fully aware of these people already too.

What set me off was crossing paths with someone who has given to the fund and when I thanked him for it, he said he just wish he could give without taking crap for it. He later walked back his comments to me on the phone yesterday, but it was clear that this was done to stay tight with the group that is being so utterly hypocritical. That is my point, regardless what they may be posting on this forum or elsewhere, they are hypocrites. At the end of our conversation I said, I'm really sorry, could have swore I heard you say that you just wished you could give without taking crap for it, that it was your money that you should be free to do with it as you choose and who are they to judge you for it and he ended with a well yeah you did but I gotta go.

The politics are so sticky that I don't want to get people inadvertently caught up in it but suffice it to say, there has been a distinct, absolute and complete change in my position towards a certain group of people.

Santafecino
Guide

Post by Santafecino »

It is truly a surprise to learn that anyone, anywhere, believes it is somehow objectionable to support Bob Taylor when his shop burns down in his latter years. I must be living in a backwater--New Mexico--out of touch with the sophisticated crowd.

In 1984, 36 years ago now, I went to the Leonard shop in the Catskills to buy an 8 foot two piece rod, a 40M-5. The man who handed it to me across the counter was Bob Taylor, then black-haired and ruddy-cheeked. I still have that rod; it's one of the best and reflected the skills of Bob Taylor and the other Leonard folks. He's still with us and probably making even better rods, if that's possible. To me, supporting his recovery is a gesture towards the continuation of our sport and the skills and memories that lie behind it. If the funds are unneeded, I assume we will hear about that; meantime, I'm assuming that contributions go to extend the career of a rodmaker who has carried on a tradition that includes Leonard, T&T, and his independent efforts and amounts to a national treasure of sorts.
--Lindsay

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

In my view., it's yet another undeserved example of "No good deed ever goes unpunished". Sad.

Yes, here on what my ol' pal BlackHillsBill always called the Little Forum That Time Forgot.

Scott
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."
Flyman615

Trout120-1
Master Guide

Post by Trout120-1 »

Any update on how Bob Taylor is doing ?

samsonboi
Master Guide

Post by samsonboi »

What the hell. How could anyone say that we shouldn't be throwing cash at Mr. Taylor? That's terrible.
"Car ce n'est pas assez d'avoir l'esprit bon, mais le principal est de l'appliquer bien.”- Descartes

uniquafly
Master Guide

Post by uniquafly »

Just one of the things that made this country so great is the willingness of her citizens to freely give to those in need a helping hand whether it be physical help or money, it’s the Christian thing to do. For those who don’t feel they should share part of their own blessings with someone who has had their life turned upside down in a matter of minutes well... karma is a bitch!
“He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman.”

Norman Maclean

samsonboi
Master Guide

Post by samsonboi »

If I was closer, I'd go to help out. Wish I could.
"Car ce n'est pas assez d'avoir l'esprit bon, mais le principal est de l'appliquer bien.”- Descartes

Return to “Forum Announcements”