Any News

This forum is for making announcements of general interest concerning the forum, events, gatherings, stuff about bamboo, wooden fly rods and classic reels. If you'd like your announcement stuck at the top until the event has passed, drop a note to one of the Moderators. Thanks.

Moderators: czkid, Ken M 44

Pentalux
Master Guide

Re: Any News

Post by Pentalux »

Was hoping someone from the catskills would chime in here as they are in much closer proximity to him than me but I spoke with Bob again today and since he hasn't heard from canazon since the fire, figure I might as well chime in. Basically hasn't been doing much and is definitely looking forward to this years trout season. As previously mentioned, Bobby lost everything (except possibly his waders) in the fire. I am sending him a rod and think I have a spare vest here but he needs basically everything else so if anyone wants to tie up some flies and send them I know they would be hugely appreciated. Central NY waters - he's a dry fly man but not a purist or as he puts it, "whatever's workin" -- Gonna see if I have a decent 444 DT5 here too but if anyone has one to offer the address is on the GoFund Me page - can give it to you too if you PM me. Hopefully give him something to start focusing on other than the t.v.

crowebeetle
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by crowebeetle »

Pentalux have you a list of what he needs so that he doesn't end up with 5 vests.

Pentalux
Master Guide

Post by Pentalux »

We could start one - Thinking I should be able to pretty well outfit him other than a dt5 fly line and flies. Will fill a box with what I can spare but really don't have many flies myself and are what would be super cool if people wanted to send. I have several fly boxes so they can be sent loose or on a card.
His address for those interested in sending him some flies is:

R.D. Taylor
15525 County Highway 18
Hobart, NY 13788

samsonboi
Master Guide

Post by samsonboi »

I'll tie some emergers when I have some time on my hands. Do you need a reel?
"Car ce n'est pas assez d'avoir l'esprit bon, mais le principal est de l'appliquer bien.”- Descartes

Pentalux
Master Guide

Post by Pentalux »

Sure a reel would be great - whadda ya got?

His wife JoAnn said this will be amazing for him as they are still waiting on insurance - being able to know he will be able to fish this year will have a very positive effect on him. I asked him if he usually fishes opening day and he said its always way too cold on central NY so we have a few weeks but would say if you send something maybe post it so we don't overdo it. I'm sending him a 7 1/2' 2/2 5wt rod.

samsonboi
Master Guide

Post by samsonboi »

Sweet! I'll go through my stuff and send him a Pflueger Gem, or a Medalist. It should go with that rod nicely.

Edit: I found a nice Gem, would that be acceptable to him?
"Car ce n'est pas assez d'avoir l'esprit bon, mais le principal est de l'appliquer bien.”- Descartes

Pentalux
Master Guide

Post by Pentalux »

He's gonna be blown away - that's fantastic!

Anyone have decent Dt5 they might like to give to Bobby?

cdmoore
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cdmoore »

I will send him a line and more flies.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Great that we can help Bob.
Even this odd times

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

I boxed up five dozen or so spring dries to send him and will try to get them to the Post Office today. Appreciate that you posted his address.

I met Bob briefly at last April's Catskill Cane Revival and got to cast a couple of his wonderful rods.
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

Pentalux
Master Guide

Post by Pentalux »

Want to thank everyone for their unbelievable display of kindness and generosity. I think he should be pretty well outfitted at this point. Will report back next week once he has received most of it. JoAnn, his wife said to say she cannot thank you guys enough!

Pentalux
Master Guide

Post by Pentalux »

Spoke with Bobby today. He was definitely in good spirits. The fishing stuff he has received has really gotten him psyched up. With everything now going on the world having these gifted has become critical as he can't really go out and shop for it and he is still waiting on the insurance to come thru. He was totally thrilled to get the rod, line and flies.

There are still a few things he could use and I'm gonna try and rummage around here tonight for a vest but thanks to Andy below he should be good on a reel now **however his waders apparently were in the shop too - so if by any wild hair chance someone has a pair of boot-foot waders (boot connected to wader) they don't want anymore he could use a pair - he has a size 10 foot. probably a size large be plenty big.

IF anyone has a pair please post here or send me a PM so we don't double up. Think he could also use a few more leaders.

Told him he might have to place an order to Cabela's or someplace to finish out but when I told him what his GoFund Me was up to he got even more psyched as then said that is for getting his shop back up.

Cant thank you guys enough - he was blown away getting flies from as far as the Netherlands and all over - you guys did a really good thing - thank you!
Last edited by Pentalux on 04/01/20 21:49, edited 2 times in total.

Arubey
Guide

Post by Arubey »

Thanks for the update - PM heading your way on a reel and spare spool. Let's get him back on the water!

best,
Andy
A. Rubey Rod Co.
rubeyrods.com

Oxbow
Master Guide

Post by Oxbow »

Rob,
I have a 3 1/4 Young Beaudex, RHW that I can send to Bob if he would like it. Just let me know.
It's the one with the square line guard. The drag works well.

Doug

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

What address can we mail flies to?

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

I have some nice, clean L-XL name brand vests if Bob still needs one.
Thanks to all who have contributed!

Scott
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

fefferje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by fefferje »

Rob, thanks again for organizing all of this for Bob. I will put some flies in the mail for him by Monday. Thanks again Rob. Jed
Fefferfly

Pentalux
Master Guide

Post by Pentalux »

Just a little update that I wanted to be sure everyone who contributed could see. Received this from JoAnn Taylor, Bob's wife:

"How do I Thank you for putting the word out ...MY husband..BOB TAYLOR..HAS NEVER BEEN SO HAPPY...HE HAS BEEN RECEIVING PACKAGE ALMOST DAILY WITH FISHING EQUIPMENT IN IT....YESTERDAY WAS THE TOTAL PACKAGE.....WADERS.....TOOK HIM OVER THE EDGE.....HE IS ALL READY TO GO OUT FISHING........CAUGHT HIM CASTING IN DRIVEWAY.....TOO THE FLY FISHING FRIENDS GOD BLESS EACH AND EVERY ONE....LOVE THE TAYLOR FAMILY...."

Well done boys! Tonight I raise a glass to each and every one of you.

Pentalux
Master Guide

Post by Pentalux »

Thrilled to be passing along another update on Bobby! Spoke with him today and next Monday the 18th, he should have a shop back on the property! He will be working with an electrician to get it up and wired soon after with much more work to do to get back to business but I am very happy to announce that R.D. Taylor will be returning to rod making.

His next purchase (thank you all again that contributed to his fund as allowed for his shop purchase) will likely be a Morgan Hand Mill and maybe a Bellinger rough beveler - I'm gonna give them a call tomorrow and see what I can possibly work out... For those that offered Nickel-Silver and cane please get back in touch with me.

Also, everything fits well so no need for another vest or other eq - he also doesn't tie so doesn't need a vice or any materials for those that have so graciously offered - he did talk about the flies he received (seems to every time) - clearly a big hit and if anyone still wants to send him flies I know he would be thrilled.

chsparkman
Master Guide

Post by chsparkman »

Very good new indeed!
...as for us we pin our faith and fealty to the silk-wound PENTAGONAL rod cunningly yet simply devised of its FIVE subtle, individual triangular strips of cane throughout...

Holden, George Parker. (modified by me) Idyl of the Split Bamboo

Return to “Forum Announcements”