Nelson Bryant

This forum is for making announcements of general interest concerning the forum, events, gatherings, stuff about bamboo, wooden fly rods and classic reels. If you'd like your announcement stuck at the top until the event has passed, drop a note to one of the Moderators. Thanks.

Moderators: czkid, Ken M 44

cwfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Nelson Bryant

Post by cwfly »

I am passing along what I learned on Sparse Grey Matter. Nelson Bryant, the long-time outdoor columnist for The New York Times died on Martha's Vineyard Saturday at age 96.
I thoroughly enjoyed everything he wrote.

waltryan1
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Nelson Bryant

Post by waltryan1 »

I followed his column in the NY Times. A fly he described in one of his columns, Vic's Special has been in my fly boxes for about 25 years. Some of his columns are reprinted in this collection: https://www.amazon.com/Upriver-Downstre ... 0307382591
Walt

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Nelson Bryant

Post by teter »

I never met Mr. Bryant, but I "edited" some of his columns while working on the sports desk at The Times in the '80s. I say "edited" because he really didn't require any editing. Nobody on the staff knew as much about hunting and fishing as he did. We just checked the spelling and punctuation. Didn't need to change that, either.

PS, he was a tough son of a gun. Parachuted into Normandy, was shot in the chest, recuperated and returned to duty to fight in the Bulge six months later.

Return to “Forum Announcements”