YNP CLOSED!

This forum is for making announcements of general interest concerning the forum, events, gatherings, stuff about bamboo, wooden fly rods and classic reels. If you'd like your announcement stuck at the top until the event has passed, drop a note to one of the Moderators. Thanks.

Moderators: czkid, Ken M 44

cutthroatkid
Guide

Re: YNP CLOSED!

Post by cutthroatkid »

PYochim, I also let my license lapse. I told the chief of medicine that I might be as useful as a spare tire on a boat, but would help out however I could. He said we would act as teams so I am hoping to be in the role of a helper rather than managing patients. I heard an old doctor once say, "I quit going to church because after a lifetime of practicing medicine I figure hell would be restful". I do not want the stress of managing patients. If I'm called it will be an "All hands on deck" scenario and the staff will be desperate for help.

We might possibly have dodged a bullet here in Montana. If the outbreak had occurred in summer when we are inundated with travellers from around the world it would be much worse. And, from what I've seen people are taking the social isolation pretty seriously. We won't know for several weeks. NYC is probably going to be toast and Florida will shortly follow. From a few cases in NYC to 30,000 in a few weeks. Jeez! Gallatin county I fear for. Big Sky resort is still running, unbelievably. I hear they're closing on Monday.

nativebrownie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by nativebrownie »

Eperous wrote:
cutthroatkid wrote: ... This is not about you or me, it's WAY beyond that. Rural hospitals will be low priority for resupply if they run out of equipment. I've was just called by our local VA asking if I would return to work if needed. Of course I said I would but the prospect of possibly caring for virus patients without gloves and a mask has me worried. Those of us who are minimizing things should consider volunteering at their local hospitals offering to feed, bathe, transport and wipe secretions up after coronavirus patients without proper protective gear, and then return to your family - because that's what society is going to be expecting medical workers to do. (I'm not really suggesting you do this - just be aware of what others might have to do if we cannot slow the spread of this disease.) Again, there are wider issues here than our own entertainment.
I agree...
yep - well said

Booman2
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Booman2 »

I agree with Cutthroat. Small fisher-friendly cities like Twin Bridges have recently expressed concern. In my area, Washington State has closed all sport fishing, and coastal communities have basically evicted visitors. I can live with it.

Eperous
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eperous »

Trout season in New York state opens next week, April 1st... as of now, plans are still to open, which I agree with, to give folks a chance to get outside and get some fresh air... I hope to fish a Catskill Mountain hollow somewhere, but it won't be the same... we have grandkids out of work, a couple nieces/nephews losing jobs, the economy hurting, people suffering and dying, and our youngest daughter--- a nurse in MA who is running short of medical supplies... my wife, and a few of her friends, just made four dozen masks we shipped to our daughter yesterday... it's hard, at least for me, to get all wrapped up in my own enjoyment given the current climate in our country... I hope/plan to fish--- to get outside and at least get some fresh air, but it won't be the same...

Ed

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

cutthroatkid wrote: I do not want the stress of managing patients. If I'm called it will be an "All hands on deck" scenario and the staff will be desperate for help.
Same here. For the first time in my career I see the skills I learned (ventilator management, invasive hemodynamic monitoring and management) as a downside.

16parachuteadams
Master Guide

Post by 16parachuteadams »

Same here, let my licenses lapse after retirement but have received several calls about returning to work. Don't see it happening.

Return to “Forum Announcements”