YNP CLOSED!

This forum is for making announcements of general interest concerning the forum, events, gatherings, stuff about bamboo, wooden fly rods and classic reels. If you'd like your announcement stuck at the top until the event has passed, drop a note to one of the Moderators. Thanks.

Moderators: czkid, Ken M 44

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

YNP CLOSED!

Post by Hellmtflies »

In case you were going to visit YNP soon be advised that the park is closed until further notice. . The National Park Service announced this today.
Last edited by Hellmtflies on 03/24/20 17:59, edited 1 time in total.

perfesser
Guide

Re: YNP CLOSED!

Post by perfesser »

Last edited by perfesser on 07/01/20 16:29, edited 1 time in total.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Maybe we will have an opportunity to enjoy our parks this summer without contending with busloads of tourists.

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

PYochim wrote:Maybe we will have an opportunity to enjoy our parks this summer without contending with busloads of tourists.
The tourists are the "we", are they not? They're for all to enjoy.

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

PYochim wrote:Maybe we will have an opportunity to enjoy our parks this summer without contending with busloads of tourists.
Your bs meter is pointing higher than normal.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

jhuskey wrote:
I’m not bs'ing at all. Just once I would like to spend three days in YNP without bumper to bumper traffic, waiting for parking spaces, rude tourists, you know the drill.
Last edited by Titelines on 03/25/20 13:19, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited to take out vulgarity not allowed by forum rules

owenscaddis
Master Guide

Post by owenscaddis »

Bummer! I was planning on driving over to Lamar valley this weekend to photograph bison in the snow. Guess I will have to go fishing instead.

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

Many more closings announced on the NPS website. Some sites are open for drive-throughs but the visitors centers are shut down.

Bee
Master Guide

Post by Bee »

In the southeast ( and maybe the rest of the country?) the Corps has closed boat ramps and access on many tailwaters it controls. This makes zero sense to me unless it is personel staffing issues .

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

This measurement makes 110% sense. Unorthodox measurements needs to be made now to prevent people being careless. We have seen careless behaviour all over the world, my country included.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

PYochim wrote:
jhuskey wrote:
I’m not bs'ing at all. Just once I would like to spend three days in YNP without bumper to bumper traffic, waiting for parking spaces, rude tourists, you know the drill.

Well, .....Unless you happen to live inside the park anyone and everyone who visits the park is a tourist. Period.
Last edited by Hellmtflies on 03/25/20 10:35, edited 1 time in total.

Bee
Master Guide

Post by Bee »

I can see there are very fundamental differences in various views of what "social distancing" boundaries are. Being in the wide open spaces, in the turkey woods or in a stream a long way from others, is diametrically opposed to what I would call "reckless" in these circumstances. Particularly if the transportation is conducted in a sanitary manner.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

C'mon are you serious?...
YNP is like Central Park. You won't be alone in solitude
Bee wrote:I can see there are very fundamental differences in various views of what "social distancing" boundaries are. Being in the wide open spaces, in the turkey woods or in a stream a long way from others, is diametrically opposed to what I would call "reckless" in these circumstances. Particularly if the transportation is conducted in a sanitary manner.

pgwulf
Guide

Post by pgwulf »

PYochim wrote:
jhuskey wrote:
+1
"Outside a dog, a book is man's best friend...inside a dog, it's too dark to read!" Groucho Marx

tabrods406
Guide

Post by tabrods406 »

ibookje wrote:C'mon are you serious?...
YNP is like Central Park. You won't be alone in solitude
Solitude can be found in the Park by just walking a little. 90% of people stay within a 1/4 mile of the road. Walk up Slough Creek - father you go less people you see. Same with Soda Butte Creek. Park at a turnoff and walk up until you're halfway to next turnoff, and then work both directions. Try Gibbon meadows, very few people and lots of fish.

Tom

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

Rocky Mountain National Park is also closed indefinitely, not just visitor centers.

Scott
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

firehole
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by firehole »

I wouldn't be surprised to see it open by Memorial Day. I'll be fishing the Firehole and Madison keeping 60-100' distance from other fisherman. No crowds for me that's for idiots. If the Park doesn't open I'll fish my home waters in MT & ID.

Dennis

cutthroatkid
Guide

Post by cutthroatkid »

I apologize for posting again but feel I need to give another perspective on YNP. The Park closed partly or mainly at the request of the surrounding counties. Montana so far - emphasis on "so far" - has not experienced the exponential curve in cases seen elsewhere (we went from 45 to 53 in the past day - most places are doubling about every other day) and most of the identified cases are in people who travelled recently. The exception is Gallatin county with undoubted community acquired disease. I think county officials are worried about an influx of new cases from asymptomatic but infectious visitors resulting in increased community cases. This is a very hard request for the county officials to make of the park for obvious reasons and I'm sure they did not take it lightly.

This is not about you or me, it's WAY beyond that. Rural hospitals will be low priority for resupply if they run out of equipment. I've was just called by our local VA asking if I would return to work if needed. Of course I said I would but the prospect of possibly caring for virus patients without gloves and a mask has me worried. Those of us who are minimizing things should consider volunteering at their local hospitals offering to feed, bathe, transport and wipe secretions up after coronavirus patients without proper protective gear, and then return to your family - because that's what society is going to be expecting medical workers to do. (I'm not really suggesting you do this - just be aware of what others might have to do if we cannot slow the spread of this disease.) Again, there are wider issues here than our own entertainment.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

cutthroatkid wrote: I've was just called by our local VA asking if I would return to work if needed. Of course I said I would but the prospect of possibly caring for virus patients without gloves and a mask has me worried.
I was also asked if I would be available to work in a dire emergency. Interestingly when I retired I let all licenses lapse except for the New York. NYC has it pretty well covered with physicians. They certainly do not need me.

We've had 4 cases of Corona here in Sheridan. 3 have recovered.

Eperous
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eperous »

cutthroatkid wrote: ... This is not about you or me, it's WAY beyond that. Rural hospitals will be low priority for resupply if they run out of equipment. I've was just called by our local VA asking if I would return to work if needed. Of course I said I would but the prospect of possibly caring for virus patients without gloves and a mask has me worried. Those of us who are minimizing things should consider volunteering at their local hospitals offering to feed, bathe, transport and wipe secretions up after coronavirus patients without proper protective gear, and then return to your family - because that's what society is going to be expecting medical workers to do. (I'm not really suggesting you do this - just be aware of what others might have to do if we cannot slow the spread of this disease.) Again, there are wider issues here than our own entertainment.
I agree...

Return to “Forum Announcements”