Dave Brandt has passed

This forum is for making announcements of general interest concerning the forum, events, gatherings, stuff about bamboo, wooden fly rods and classic reels. If you'd like your announcement stuck at the top until the event has passed, drop a note to one of the Moderators. Thanks.

Moderators: czkid, Ken M 44

PA Limestoner
Master Guide

Dave Brandt has passed

Post by PA Limestoner »

Just learned that our friend and fellow raconteur Dave Brandt passed last night after a valiant fight against a very aggressive and painful cancer. Dave contributed many of the draftsman's drawings in the Garrison/Carmichael book on rod making, was an outstanding caster, and was one of the finest fly tiers of the Catskill style. Will miss him a lot. Hope he is now enjoying some original Newcastle Brown Ale, telling stories, and smiling down on his friends.

cdmoore
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Dave Brandt has passed

Post by cdmoore »

This is sad news. Thank you for taking on the weight of sharing. I met Dave at the Catskills gathering--what a terrific guy. I was hoping to learn more from him again this fall. I will look forward to seeing the rest of his drawings in Per's new book on EC Powell and looking at some of Dave's tying videos on youtube.

My condolences to his loved ones.

Chris

BruceHandley
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BruceHandley »

He was also a fine person to fish with, he will be missed. In the last few years I lost contact but remember days on the water well.
Bruce

bob2935
Master Guide

Post by bob2935 »

Very, very sad. Used to see Dave at all the Catskill gatherings and he looked to be in the peak of health. Great guy and loved it when he was the MC for many of the Catskill events. My condolences to his family. He will be missed.

Bohemian Bob
Last edited by bob2935 on 03/28/20 10:54, edited 1 time in total.

Silver rat
Guide

Post by Silver rat »

What sad news. Always looked forward to seeing him at the CFFM events. My condolences go out to his family.

Bob

Carlson Rod
Master Guide

Post by Carlson Rod »

Heard this sad news yesterday.
Dave was a friend and a lot of fun to be around and will be missed by those who knew him.
My condolences to his wife and family.
R.I.P. Dave.
Dana

Franknrod
Guide

Post by Franknrod »

Dave Brandt was generous with his time and knowledge. He introduced me to bamboo fly rods several years ago when we fished the East Branch of the Delaware together and I blame him for my obsession! :-). I will miss him deeply as will many people who counted him as a friend.
Frank Payne

tonkin67
Master Guide

Post by tonkin67 »

Sad to here this , I knew he was ill and it was a mater of time. Dave was a friend , I remember a few trips with Dave fishing the Ausable and drinking Newcastle ale . He will be missed.
Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see . Marvin Gaye

resman549
Sport

Post by resman549 »

Dave introduced me to Newcastle brown ale and I will be forever in his debt ! RIP my friend.

Pentalux
Master Guide

Post by Pentalux »

Very sad news. He was a legendary man that will be forever missed.
Truly one of the good guys.
Thoughts and Prayers for his wife and family.
Rest in Peace Dave.

ted patlen
Master Guide

Post by ted patlen »

Dave was the person to emulate.

Dave was an openly friendly, low-keyed, self deprecating humorist, and was extremely knowledgable on all aspects of fly fishing.
He was a masterful technician at the vise, a historian and a warm friend.

Anyone who knew him was lucky.

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

RIP, Dave! I hope the hatches are always great where you are now fishing.

And, I add my condolences to his wife and family.

addicted to vise
Master Guide

Post by addicted to vise »

Damn... I'll miss the guy. He was a funny character. I only knew him for a few years and he loved the flies i tied. Gifted him a few last time I saw him.
RIP Dave, a true gent - I'll miss your laugh and character.

Eunan Hendron

mer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by mer »

I'll have to check but I believe I have a set of dries tied by him from one of the shows. Never knew him beyond a show or two and his reputation in the literature, but that's enough to realize he's gonna be missed.

On the other hand, what are he and Sante saying about all of us right now?

andre49
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by andre49 »

Dave loved to fish a hole 100 yards above my favorite hole on E. Branch...will miss seeing him there.

hopkintoncane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by hopkintoncane »

A true gentleman who never failed to greet you with genuine warmth and compassion, generous to a fault with his knowledge, enthusiasm, and effort particularly with respect to the success of the museum, and without question, probably one of the best casters I have seen.

Eperous
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eperous »

Quite the individual, few like him anymore... I first met Dave in the late 70s, early 80s at NYS TU state Council meetings... he was quite the card, a Catskill Legend, and as other noted, very generous with his time...

R.I.P. my friend, and condolences to the family...

Ed

gaddis
Master Guide

Post by gaddis »

R.I.P. Dave. You will be missed.

ShenRods
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ShenRods »

This is a great loss of a friend and fishing buddy. So many stories and memories. He will be sorely missed. Yet he will be on that great trout stream in the sky with an abundant supply his Newcastle Brown close at hand. I will remember him always. Here is an appropriate picture of him as we were celebrating at the Catskill Rodmakers Gathering and just having fun:
Chris

Fred Kretchman
Sport

Post by Fred Kretchman »

Yes, he was an inspiration to us all. Quick with a joke, always cordial and full of knowledge which he shared with anyone. After reading his obituary, I had no idea of his musical skills and other activities that he mastered. Watching him tie a dry fly was pure poetry. And Newcastle Brown ale was one of his trademarks! He touched so many of us over the years. RIP dear friend! Thanks for the many memories.
Fred

Return to “Forum Announcements”