Noted author Graydon R. Hilyard has passed

This forum is for making announcements of general interest concerning the forum, events, gatherings, stuff about bamboo, wooden fly rods and classic reels. If you'd like your announcement stuck at the top until the event has passed, drop a note to one of the Moderators. Thanks.

Moderators: czkid, Ken M 44

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Noted author Graydon R. Hilyard has passed

Post by jeffkn1 »

Son Leslie has just informed me that his father has succumbed to complications from a stroke he suffered March 20. His general health had been of some concern for the last couple of years. Those who don't recognize the name may be aware of the biographies that he and Leslie authored, Carrie Stevens and Herb Welch, and also Bogdan. It was the Welch research that brought us together almost 20 years ago. Services will be private. His loss will be felt far and wide.
Last edited by jeffkn1 on 04/02/20 18:59, edited 1 time in total.

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Noted author Graydon R. Hilyard has passed

Post by roycestearns »

Sad to hear. We've lost another one. I enjoyed all the books by Hilyard's, well researched and obviously passionate about the subjects.

Thoughts are with the family at this time.

flyrodman
Master Guide

Post by flyrodman »

jeffkn1 wrote:Son Leslie has just informed me that his father has succumbed to complications from a stroke he suffered March 20. His general health had been of some concern for the last couple of years. Those who don't recognize the name may be aware of the biographies that he and Leslie authored, Carrie Stevens and Herb Welch, and also Bogdan. It was the Welch research that brought us together almost 20 years ago. Services with will be private. His loss will be felt far and wide.
2019 Eldridge Spring Show
RIP our friend
Graydon & Leslie

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

Very sad! A loss to our community and beyond. I thoroughly enjoyed both the Stevens and Welch books. My condolences to the family. R.I.P. in Graydon!

Thanks to Jeff for sharing the information, and to Richie for reposting the picture.

Rupert

abingram
Master Guide

Post by abingram »

Yes I also hate to hear of his passing. I really enjoyed their books on Carrie Stevens and Herb Welch. Barry

cdmoore
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cdmoore »

Sad news. I have enjoyed his work very much. Condolences to his friends and loved ones.

gt05254
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by gt05254 »

Sad to hear. Bob was a gracious host at his camp at Haines Landing to me, and he was a great asset to the Rangeley Museum. Fly fishing historians are slowly becoming fewer and farther between.
Gary

Carlson Rod
Master Guide

Post by Carlson Rod »

Sorry to hear of his passing. I had heard he wasn't doing well after having a stroke a couple of weeks ago.
I enjoyed our chats,especially about Herb Welch's connection to Hawes rods while he was researching his book.
He will be missed.
Condolences to his son Leslie and the family.
Dana

bamrod77
Guide

Post by bamrod77 »

Sorry to hear this. Have and currently enjoying his publications. Condolences to the family. A large loss.

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

gt05254 wrote:Sad to hear. Bob was a gracious host at his camp at Haines Landing to me, and he was a great asset to the Rangeley Museum. Fly fishing historians are slowly becoming fewer and farther between.
Gary
+1

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Sad news indeed. My condolences to the family.

turtledoc
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by turtledoc »

This one was really tough for me.....Graydon was a genuinely good person and passionate about preserving history about the sport we love. Good friend and I had plans for a new book that Graydon planned to assist with. Hoping we get it done is his absence. It was fun to have a friend like Graydon that didn't do email.....actual letters or phone calls was the way to communicate. He will be missed.

Mark b

bamboocollector11
Master Guide

Post by bamboocollector11 »

Sad to hear. Condolences to his family and his multitude of friends.

ted patlen
Master Guide

Post by ted patlen »

highly respected author, historian and good friend

gt05254
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by gt05254 »

"It was fun to have a friend like Graydon that didn't do email.....actual letters or phone calls was the way to communicate. He will be missed."

I have a few notes from him - they were always fun to get because he used different letterheads from old places/shops/people that he had copied.

Some months ago he sent me photos of the late Bob Warren and I at Haines Landing that he had taken. Sad that now they're both gone. Mike Martinek, too. As Pam Bates (Joe Bates' daughter) emailed me yesterday, "the best of the idiosyncratic fly guys are leaving us too soon."

Gary

Return to “Forum Announcements”