The Passing of Ed Shenk

This forum is for making announcements of general interest concerning the forum, events, gatherings, stuff about bamboo, wooden fly rods and classic reels. If you'd like your announcement stuck at the top until the event has passed, drop a note to one of the Moderators. Thanks.

Moderators: czkid, Ken M 44

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

The Passing of Ed Shenk

Post by Caneghost »

I am sorrowed to report that Ed Shenk, The Master of the Letort passed away yesterday. Ed was a member of the Fly Fishing Hall of Fame, an author, innovator, angler, fly tier and an inspiration to thousands of anglers.

He was known for his love of short fly rods, ready to relate that anything over 6 feet was un-necessary for taking trout. He loved fishing with some of his favorite little bamboo rods, His Thomas & Thomas Gnat and Orvis Superfines. In earlier years he often purchased blanks from Nat Uslan and other rodmakers, building his rods with the tiny hand-sized cork grips he preferred.

He was a friend and mentor to me and to all those who knew him and will be sorely missed.

My personal tribute has been posted on my blog.

Rest in Piece Ed
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: The Passing of Ed Shenk

Post by Hellmtflies »

Very sad news indeed. My condolences.

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

A man that was an incredible asset to the sport and the fly patterns he shared with us have counted coup on untold numbers of the finny tribe!! Here is my tribute to Ed from last sumer;

He was the "spirit of the Letort" which is what this piece is titled.

The Letort Hopper in the sculpture was tied by Ed.
R.I.P. Ed your memory and contributions to the sport will be remembered !!!! Truly a great loss!!!

Tommasini
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tommasini »

I never met the man but was a fan of his short rod/small reel fishing style. I did talk with him on the phone years ago when I ordered a little glass rod he had built. I'll miss him. Condolences to his friends and family.

Bill T
Guide

Post by Bill T »

I spent a fair amount of time with Mr. Shenk and appreciated his friendship. He would come in the fly shop I worked prior to meeting a regular group of folks for lunch each week at the Boiling Springs Tavern. He was very interested in my development in building cane rods and eventually inquired whether I might make him a rod blank to finish out. I visited his house to talk about this and we worked out the details. Then we went up to his attic where he offered me his payment. He had been hoarding some culms of cane that originated from the Orvis shop many years prior. The cane was wonderful with deep golden tone that you do not see on culms today. I wish I still had some of that cane.

I wish I could still chat with Ed each week.

adkfan
Guide

Post by adkfan »

Rip to another legend

406tom
Guide

Post by 406tom »

Alexis and "Uncle Ed" on the Yellow Breeches picking out the right fly.....

Tom

Return to “Forum Announcements”