Gene Novak has Passed Away

This forum is for making announcements of general interest concerning the forum, events, gatherings, stuff about bamboo, wooden fly rods and classic reels. If you'd like your announcement stuck at the top until the event has passed, drop a note to one of the Moderators. Thanks.

Moderators: czkid, Ken M 44

singlebuilt
Guide

Gene Novak has Passed Away

Post by singlebuilt »

It is with great sadness that I post that Gene Novak passed away peacefully, at the age of 95, on March 7, 2020.

That man could build a darn fine fishing rod.

Rest in Peace.

Rons Rods
Sport

Re: Gene Novak has Passed Away

Post by Rons Rods »

If you didn’t know of Gene’s work, you should. I often see comments about “working mans” cane, well Gene was the epitome!

His personally designed Jump River taper is in my bag always.

Gene built fishing poles plain and simple, much like the legendary Paul Young I never found too many “minty” Novak rods on the secondary market. Most are well used and rarely for resale.

He was a generous to any aspiring rod maker and willing to share his techniques and opinions.

RIP Gene

His family has asked that donations be made in his name to the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation.

Wild Skies
Guide

Post by Wild Skies »

I can not say how saddened I am to learn of Gene's passing, he was as fine a gentleman as you'd ever hope to call your friend. Not too long ago Gene called to inform me that he had moved into an assisted living facility in Franklin, WI. We had discussed plans to visit him there, but a scheduled knee replacement for myself on Feb. 4, 2020 delayed the visit, then this present coronavirus thing delayed the visit further -- and now I learn of this...so sad our plans never came to fruition.

Gene once told me his total lifetime output of building cane rods, which spanned over a half-century, was only ~250. I own 8 of his creations, 7 flyrods as well as a musky casting rod. Gene joked that I probably owned the largest percentage of the rods he ever built. I can't tell you the countless hours of joy these rods have given me through the years.

RIP, my friend.

Wild Skies
Since 1951

gofish60
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by gofish60 »

A great guy, and a good friend. Totally self taught using a book he bought from Herters when he returned from WWII.
He came by my place one day and looked at a Granger 8' three piece I had. Said he liked it. Used my micrometer to get a few readings, and the next time I went by his place he said we had to try this new rod he'd just built. Had it down pat. No milling machine, just planning forms.
We'll miss him.
gofish

WIHEXROD
Master Guide

Post by WIHEXROD »

Sorry to hear about Gene.
I visited his shop after he moved to Random Lake. Spent the day there.
RIP Gene.
Scott

carl otto
Master Guide

Post by carl otto »

95 great years of life!!!! Gene is just one of dozens of unpromoted, nose to the planing form, bamboo builders throughout this country who have quietly kept the craft alive in their neck of the woods through the fiberglass, then graphite take over of the industry. He built a solidly crafted fishing pole at a very reasonable price. Those who have them, fish them to the honor of this man.

"No greater reward to my efforts is to get a picture in the mail of an owner with a big smile on his/her face holding a fish they caught with one of my rods. Building the rods are an investment in the pleasure for others. The smiles are my dividends."

Peter apparently has needs for more makers upstairs. There is no end for fishing for men in this world.

Carl @ Wanigas Rod Company

BruceC

Post by BruceC »

Sorry to hear about Gene's passing. I had acquired my Novak Pass Lake 7' 4wt a number of years ago. I wanted to learn more about the rod and it's maker so I tracked down Gene's number and gave him a call. After telling me he was retiring from rod making, he asked what serial number I had. It took him a few seconds to get his log book and give me the complete history of the rod from wrap colors to intermediates and guides. I was amazed. He was happy to hear that #171 was still fishing and we talked about the taper and how I liked the rod. Thanks, Gene!

Trout120-1
Master Guide

Post by Trout120-1 »

Why is it signed Nova instead of Novak ?

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Nova rods by Gene Novak

Post by creakycane »

Trout120-1 wrote:
03/18/21 15:14
Why is it signed Nova instead of Novak ?
Because the company was Nova Bamboo, proprietor Gene Novak.

cdmoore
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cdmoore »

Condolences from Vermont to his family and friends.

Return to “Forum Announcements”