Davis A. Hays has passed

This forum is for making announcements of general interest concerning the forum, events, gatherings, stuff about bamboo, wooden fly rods and classic reels. If you'd like your announcement stuck at the top until the event has passed, drop a note to one of the Moderators. Thanks.

Moderators: czkid, Ken M 44

Ray Hencken
Master Guide

Davis A. Hays has passed

Post by Ray Hencken »

A good friend and fellow collector, Davis Hays from Arlington, VA, passed away on February 4, 2020. Some of you may have spoken with him on the phone, met at the PAFFMA meets in June, or had contact with him in other ways. A gentleman and all around nice guy, he will be missed. His obituary is posted here.
http://www.facebook.com/EndChildLabor/p ... 994961375/

chestatee
Master Guide

Re: Davis A. Hays has passed

Post by chestatee »

Heartbreaking. I last spoke with him late January and we had a lengthy chat. What a superb gentleman. He will be missed.

Carlson Rod
Master Guide

Post by Carlson Rod »

Davis was a heck of a nice guy. I had known him for quite some time, as I'm sure a lot of others here did as well.
I was planning on calling him prior Wayne Grauer's Maryland Fly Fishing show as I had the previous year, to try and shame him into coming, which is when I found out about his passing.
He will be missed by many

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by SpringCreek »

Truly tragic. I last spoke with Davis in December and as I recall he had just had hip surgery. We spoke at times of reels and fishing in the Northwest where I had lived. Condolences to the family.
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Very sad news indeed. I never had the pleasure of meeting Davis in person but after several telephone calls over the years we had what I would call a friendship of kindred spirits. Each time I spoke to him I knew it would be an hour or so before the call would end. What fun discussing angling and it's accoutrements. I will miss those calls and his kind and gentleman like approach to our world. He will be missed and my condolences to his family.
Mark

flyrodman
Master Guide

Post by flyrodman »

I never personally met Davis but for a number of years became friends by email and many phone conversations. He was always up beat to tell me how much he enjoyed me telling him how my 5 children and wife were doing and always talking fishing collections.
RIP our friend

Vaughanwilson3022
Master Guide

Post by Vaughanwilson3022 »

Sad news indeed! I spoke with him several times in the past year including mid to late January (about bamboo rods and about changes in Durham, NC area since his time at Duke University). My condolences to his family.

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

Never met Davis but did correspond with him about reels occasionally. Reading his obit it occurs to me how sad it is to see someone who clearly died too young. His list of achievements for the better good, and his pace of living bear witness to that. I'm humbled.

john8
Guide

Post by john8 »

That is sad to hear. I sold a number of items ( old English trout flies, leather fly wallets, etc) on the forum which Davis purchased. When I went to ship them found out he was local, Northern Virginia, so he ended up calling and then stopping by the house to pick them up. He was very nice and a pleasure to speak with.

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

Davis was a good friend for many years. He often stopped in at my office and endeared himself to my co-workers. I saw him just days before he passed, he was making a nice recovery from hip surgery. Rupert (Headwaters), Davis and I often lunched together.

Davis' family and neighbors are planning a memorial service for him, as soon as the ability to gather returns. If you'd like to be notified, please let me know in an email with the subject line Davis Hays. Send it to paul@brooktrout.fishing

We will all miss Davis.

bob2935
Master Guide

Post by bob2935 »

Very sad news. I feel I knew him well and met him for breakfast at least four times while in transit through Virginia. He was a rare sort that literally would do anything for you. Great sense of humor and very bright guy. Had many transactions with him and assisted Davis on what to buy and what not to buy. I found out about three months ago and really miss his phone calls. Special guy no doubt. Never met anyone more focused on assisting others.

Rest in peace Davis.
Last edited by bob2935 on 04/16/20 16:10, edited 3 times in total.

cdmoore
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cdmoore »

I'm very saddened to hear this. Davis was one of the really good guys.

Hap
Guide

Post by Hap »

Sad news. Sold him a few items over the years. Always a pleasure to talk with and very knowledgeable. He wil be missed. Sorry to hear of his passing.

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

Thanks for posting this, Ray. Davis was close friend for many years. He was a kind, gentle, gracious, and generous soul. We saw each other and spoke often, including the many lunches with Paul (Short Tip), and a call shortly before he passed away when he assured me that he was recovering well from surgery. He also was famous for calling early in the morning, apologizing, and saying "I'm in a hurry, and I have just a few moments, but I need your advice on something." And then, our fast and furious conversation often would extend at least until I reminded him that he had started by saying he was in a hurry. So, our calls always ended with a shared laugh! Davis definitely enjoyed the fellowship of those he met through the Forum and those who shared his love of quality vintage cane, reels and associated tackle. As Doug noted above, he was a true gentleman. I will miss him! R.I.P.. Davis.

MtBrittany
Master Guide

Post by MtBrittany »

I am sorry to hear Davis has passed away. I now somewhat understand what a humble individual he was after reading his obit. He never spoke of his achievements or what he did. My condolences to family and friends. RIP

Flyfishbill
Master Guide

Post by Flyfishbill »

Davis was a great friend that I never met in person. I met Davis through the forum a few years ago. I posted an ad to sell a Battenkill reel, he emailed me to see if we could talk about the reel. An hour passed when I finally agreed to sell Davis the reel with free shipping. He was quite the negotiator! From that first phone, Davis and I became good friends. If I mentioned to him that I was looking for a particular rod or reel, he would say "Bill, you need to talk to his guy or that guy". He seemed to know everybody in the fly fishing business. We would have long conversations about fishing tackle, politics, collecting, and he always asked about my family. We talked about meeting to go fishing, but it never happened. I miss our phone conversations. He was a good man.
Bill

reelsmith
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by reelsmith »

Davis and I spoke regularly ...about tackle, our mutual friends and life in general.

He always asked how my kids were doing and was willing to lend an ear when I was going through a rough patch.

I miss those calls.

Davis was a very caring, sincere, genuine person. The consummate gentleman.

Dean.

Fred Kretchman
Sport

Post by Fred Kretchman »

Like so many of us, I never met Davis personally, but each time we talked on the phone, I felt like he was a lifelong friend... If my wife saw his name on an incoming call, she'd quickly answer it and have a nice long chat with him before giving the phone over to me. He was selective in what he bought from me, and I felt he really enjoyed each item he bought. What a wonderful man he was and certainly we will miss him.
Fred Kretchman

canesterdf
Master Guide

Post by canesterdf »

Davis was a very good man, among the best I have met. He will be missed. I wish his family and those close to him peace and fond memories and someday to fish alongside him in Heaven in the river of dreams. Best, Paul

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Davis was one of a kind... a fantastic gentleman.... this is sad news indeed.
We talked reels for hours... he and I. He shared the illness of collecting fly reels too.

Davis was a legend, and I know what reel he is using now.
Winking back at ya buddy ~ Brian

WOW - the best part is.. we all really got to know this guy.... all of us. A ton of us. We were so lucky.
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Use the SEARCH for justification and reasoning.

Return to “Forum Announcements”