Portland, Oregon Area Rod Makers Group

This forum is for making announcements of general interest concerning the forum, events, gatherings, stuff about bamboo, wooden fly rods and classic reels. If you'd like your announcement stuck at the top until the event has passed, drop a note to one of the Moderators. Thanks.

Moderators: czkid, Ken M 44

5strips
Sport

Portland, Oregon Area Rod Makers Group

Post by 5strips »

Hello All,

Something I have been thinking about for some time, but I seem to have some time on my hands now

I know there is a significant group of rod makers and vintage tackle enthusiasts in the Portland, Oregon area.
I am looking to compile a list of interested folks and to creating an event to gather us together ( in better times) but also connect us together

Please drop me a note at Callawayrods@comcast.net

Let me know what your interests are and define how connection to the local Rod making community might be of interest to you

If you know someone in the Portland area, please pass this on

We will grow from there - excited to hear from you all

Be safe
Kevin
Last edited by 5strips on 04/21/20 05:06, edited 1 time in total.

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Portland, Oregon Area Rod Makers Group

Post by roycestearns »

Hi Kevin, we talked about this a couple of years ago! I'm in ... Joe B would join in I'm sure. I'll shoot you an email.

salterlee
Sport

Post by salterlee »

Hi Kevin. I’ll send an email this week with some thoughts. Thanks, Al in SW Portland

tyghguy
Guide

Post by tyghguy »

Hello Kevin I am not a rod maker but certainly would love to attend and meet people from Oregon making bamboo rods. Thanks Jerry

2wtt
Sport

Post by 2wtt »

Kevin, I also am not a maker but I have built up from blanks and remodeled several boo rods, I will send off an email.
Paul

DonT
Master Guide

Post by DonT »

I'm in
Don Titterington
Desert Canyon Rods
West Linn, OR
Repairs/Renovations
Custom Builds

G Zinkus

Post by G Zinkus »

I’ll be interested in joining in.

Glenn

canesterdf
Master Guide

Post by canesterdf »

Hi Kevin I know a few others that will be interested also Vintage tackle guys, rod restoration and fly collector types. And myself should be quite a party. Best Paul

TheMontyMan
Global Moderator

Post by TheMontyMan »

Kevin, Portland is my neck of the woods and I've been involved in the Brownsville and Metolius gatherings over the years. I'd be very interested in a local gathering.

I know a couple of rod makers in the area that don't frequent this Forum, and would be glad to reach out to them to gauge their interest as well.

I'll send you a PM with my contact information.

. . . Rex
The Monty Man

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

I'm reading Oregon Bamboo -again- for about the 3rd time. Possibly my favorite bamboo book of them all. It's gold for anyone who wants to make rods.

I feel like Oregon and bamboo is like the Dominican Republic and shortstops. There must be something in the water.

Sorry for the hijack..

Jeff

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by roycestearns »

Jeff - Joe captured the interesting phenomena, that's Oregon bamboo. I think it exists in a lot of areas, it's just nobody has take the time or expense to document it.

Kevin is in the book, some have passed, and some have moved on to other things. Joe has done some work on Boo 2, give him some encouragement and it may be here before we know it!

Yes, Kevin I spaced, I'm going to get an email off to you!

5strips
Sport

Post by 5strips »

Hello All,

It’s been great touching base with old friends and also meeting hopefully new ones

As mentioned above, Oregon has always Been a hot bed for rodmaking activity on the west coast. I suspect we can attribute that to an extremely generous group of folks that were willing to give their time and knowledge to the curious like myself.

It is in that spirit that I am hoping to develop this group

The group is starting to spin in a few directions:
Rodmakers, tackle collector and tackle users
I think we can all get along :)

Please keep contacting me with your information and names of people that might be interested- as will as your ideas for the group
I’ll start creating our initial path for communication and planning

Stay safe and we will talk soon
Kevin
Callawayrods@comcast.net

cascader

Post by cascader »

Hello, Kevin

Ward Tonsfeldt here from Bend, across the mountains. Always interested in making connections. Many people interested in traditional fly fishing attend the spring and fall NFLCC shows in Kelso. You might think about meeting in conjunction with the Kelso show.

5strips
Sport

Post by 5strips »

Hello Ward

Nice to hear from you - hope all is well

That is an excellent idea -
We will incorporate the NFLCC show in the planning

Thank you - looking forward to seeing you soon
Kevin

tabrods406
Guide

Post by tabrods406 »

Hi everyone, Tom from 406 Fly Lines here. Alexis and I would love to attend a gathering out there. We can bring demo lines and really enjoy meeting people at these kind of meetings. We don't do a lot of shows, just small venues like this.

Tom

uintaangler
Master Guide

Post by uintaangler »

I would like to participate as somebody who enjoys fishing with Bamboo fly rods and classy reels
Moved to the Portland area last July and would enjoy meeting some of the locals
Bob Ross

Dave Dozer
Guide

Post by Dave Dozer »

Hi Kevin,

Dave Dozer here, located in Sisters. It's fantastic you're looking at getting something going. I rarely get over to the Portland area so I doubt I could join in any gatherings unless you put a zoom meeting together to pull in us on the east side....might be fun to connect electronically with everyone. I've been fly fishing for 55 years and building bamboo rods for 15 years. I was active in the later years of the Camp Sherman event and in the Event in Brownsville a few years ago. I'm at www.bamboopursuits.com.

Regards,

Dave Dozer
541-207-8374

Return to “Forum Announcements”