Memorial Day

This forum is for making announcements of general interest concerning the forum, events, gatherings, stuff about bamboo, wooden fly rods and classic reels. If you'd like your announcement stuck at the top until the event has passed, drop a note to one of the Moderators. Thanks.

Moderators: czkid, Ken M 44

greyreefer5
Guide

Memorial Day

Post by greyreefer5 »

As the son of a 30 year career Marine, and the proud grandfather of a United States Airman, I would like to thank all of you who have served in our military for that service. You are all true heros. Thank you for your sacrifice to our country, and preserving our freedom. God Bless you all.

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Memorial Day

Post by Gnome »

A huge thanks to all of our veterans and a special shout out to my Dad, One of the original members of the Tenth Mountain Division in WWII. He earned a bronze star and a purple heart amongst his other awards as a member of the tenth. He served in the Po river valley and the Apennine mountains of Italy. Thanks Dad for all you have done!!!

Edit; ANd a Huge I miss you to both of my brothers who are interred at Fort Logan Cemetary in Denver, Bob was a green beret in Viet Nam and Dick was an airman on a kc-130 gunship 1969-1971 RIP, my brothers.
Last edited by Gnome on 05/25/20 08:08, edited 1 time in total.

bamrod77
Guide

Post by bamrod77 »

Thanks to all who have served especially those who made the ultimate sacrifice. We shall never forget.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

I humbly served a 4-year tour in the Army. People were dying all around me pretty regularly, but of heat stroke, and heart attacks while training and preparring to do whatever was asked of them. While our brave hereos sadly do sometimes give the ultimate sacrifice, it is not always in battle. Let's not also forget them or those who came back physically and mentally wounded (on Veteran's Day). Today, thank you to all who served and made the ultimate sacrifice. As I try to do every Memorial Day, I'll light up a WW2 vintage Coleman 242C and thank them for the freedoms that we embrace today.

Cheers,
Joe
Last edited by NewUtahCaneAngler on 05/25/20 10:00, edited 1 time in total.

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by SpringCreek »

On a day like today we should never forget what Patton said.

“It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God such men lived.”

Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

GrayHackleRods
Master Guide

Post by GrayHackleRods »

Just to set the record straight.

“Memorial Day is an American holiday, observed on the last Monday of May, honoring the men and women who died while serving in the U.S. military. Memorial Day 2020 occurs on Monday, May 25.

Originally known as Decoration Day, it originated in the years following the Civil War and became an official federal holiday in 1971. Many Americans observe Memorial Day by visiting cemeteries or memorials, holding family gatherings and participating in parades.”

Please don’t think I mean to slight the active duty servicemen or veterans, I don’t, I’m a vet myself.

We have three days set aside to honor our military; Armed Forces Day - for those currently wearing the uniform, Veterans Day - for those who hung up their uniform and Memorial Day - for those who never took the uniform off.

So today as you go about your day do one thing for the service men and women that never made it home to get your thanks, National Moment of Remembrance takes place at 3:00 p.m. local time, please honor the fallen.

Today is not “thank you for your service” it’s “thank you for your sacrifice”.

Rant over.
Regards,
Lee
http://www.grayhacklerods.net
lee@grayhacklerods.net
Monument, CO
There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm.
Patrick F. McManus

lkbamboo
Sport

Post by lkbamboo »

Lee

I really appreciate your rant, nicely done

Lowell

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

Sorry but as far as I am concerned it is both! thanks to those who have served and a special thanks to those who served and gave the ultimate sacrifice. WE should celebrate the veterans living and dead every chance we get. 2 or 3 or 4 times a year is really not enough.

perfesser
Guide

Post by perfesser »

Last edited by perfesser on 05/27/20 10:36, edited 1 time in total.

GrayHackleRods
Master Guide

Post by GrayHackleRods »

With Memorial Day behind us I believe we all have a duty to thank our military and first responders every chance we have. For many of them it is a calling, not a job.
Regards,
Lee
http://www.grayhacklerods.net
lee@grayhacklerods.net
Monument, CO
There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm.
Patrick F. McManus

Return to “Forum Announcements”