Stolen RD Taylor rod

This forum is for making announcements of general interest concerning the forum, events, gatherings, stuff about bamboo, wooden fly rods and classic reels. If you'd like your announcement stuck at the top until the event has passed, drop a note to one of the Moderators. Thanks.

Moderators: czkid, Ken M 44

Flyfishbill
Master Guide

Re: Stolen RD Taylor rod

Post by Flyfishbill »

The seller on EBay has over 28,000 comments. I think you should call him. The times when I had to deal with an item that was stolen or broken, as the buyer, I had to deal with the post office.
Good luck.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

The rod is still up on eBay. Any updates?

DireWolf53
Master Guide

Post by DireWolf53 »

For now let's just say it is being pursued through the proper channels. I will post any news if/when I hear something definitive.
"I am not against golf, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering trout." - Paul O'Neil

salmonid1
Guide

Post by salmonid1 »

Dire Wolf, For some 28 years I could have been a poster boy for the USPS. Never had a problem until the Covid thing gave them excuses. Lost a 7', 4 piece rare Orvis bamboo pack rod going to Bozeman. Needless to say I wrote a check to the recipient. On another occasion I sent a rod to Millheim, PA via Express Mail to arrive the following day before 3 pm. 36 days later it was delivered!! I've since taken to using Fedex or UPS in spite of the extra cost. I now live in the Albany, NY area and apparently anything sent in the US mail priority goes to Springfield, MA, an urban center, first even if headed west. I think between lack of good hiring practices and affirmative action these issues are becoming more frequent. Apologies for the political twist but it is what it is. I have also heard that the Post Master General has instituted practices nationally that are slowing the mail. Apparently he's no friend of the current administration. I hope your issue gets resolved but have little hope that you'll recover the Taylor. Hopefully Mark insured your package. Best, Carmine Lisella, Jordan-Mills Rod Co.

salmonid1
Guide

Post by salmonid1 »

Just realized your post was from 2020. Some of my info may not apply to your situation for timing but do hope your issue has been resolved. C

Pwknauth
Sport

Post by Pwknauth »

Sorry for all your trouble.
Thank you for the "heads up"
We will all keep our eyes open.
Fingers crossed for the right outcome

DireWolf53
Master Guide

Post by DireWolf53 »

salmonid1 wrote:
08/15/21 11:38
Dire Wolf, For some 28 years I could have been a poster boy for the USPS. Never had a problem until the Covid thing gave them excuses. Lost a 7', 4 piece rare Orvis bamboo pack rod going to Bozeman. Needless to say I wrote a check to the recipient. On another occasion I sent a rod to Millheim, PA via Express Mail to arrive the following day before 3 pm. 36 days later it was delivered!! I've since taken to using Fedex or UPS in spite of the extra cost. I now live in the Albany, NY area and apparently anything sent in the US mail priority goes to Springfield, MA, an urban center, first even if headed west. I think between lack of good hiring practices and affirmative action these issues are becoming more frequent. Apologies for the political twist but it is what it is. I have also heard that the Post Master General has instituted practices nationally that are slowing the mail. Apparently he's no friend of the current administration. I hope your issue gets resolved but have little hope that you'll recover the Taylor. Hopefully Mark insured your package. Best, Carmine Lisella, Jordan-Mills Rod Co.
Carmine,
Fortunately Marc was insured so financially we were both covered. However it still stings (us both) that this theft occurred in the first place.
Since then I have requested that anything of value and or sentimental value mailed to me is shipped registered mail. It takes longer but is well
worth t) to me) the peace of mind.
"I am not against golf, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering trout." - Paul O'Neil

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

I'm a former postman (though I couldn't stand it and quit). It used to be anything of that nature spurred the Postal Inspection Service into hunting down the culprit. And they always got their man. Best of luck.

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

salmonid1 wrote:
"Affirmative action"? Seriously?

nativebrownie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by nativebrownie »

teter wrote:
08/24/21 00:01
salmonid1 wrote:
"Affirmative action"? Seriously?
+1 Seriously? Seriously? Again and again...

jacknoir
Sport

Post by jacknoir »

Just saw this thread. Any updates DireWolf? Did you recover the rod?

DireWolf53
Master Guide

Post by DireWolf53 »

I was just informed that the rod is once again up on the not to be mentioned auction site.
The rod serial number is 24-4-137
Please do not bid on this item it is stolen merchandise.
Although both the seller and I incurred no $$ loss it infuriates me to see this rod continue to be offered online.
Although I know it is futile I sent the seller a message saying I know that n this case he/she is selling an item that
was stolen from the US mail. As the buyer there is nothing more I can do.

DireWolf53
Master Guide

Post by DireWolf53 »

FWIW the auction seller just got back to me and said that they bought it from the USPS at auction as lost merchandise.
He also mentioned he was in contact with the original seller regarding this item.

Be that as it may (as I told him) the package had been clearly cut open. Whether the would be thief got cold feet or had no interest in a 'fishing pole'
i don't know but this should be a reminder that stuff happens. That why I am a fan of registered mail. It takes a while but for items that are not replaceable it affords me peace of mind.
Last edited by Titelines on 03/04/22 14:59, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited to take out vulgarity not allowed by forum rules

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

How could this have been sold in the USPS auction if the theft was reported to the postal inspector?

ozarkwater
Master Guide

Post by ozarkwater »

teter wrote:
03/05/22 01:59
How could this have been sold in the USPS auction if the theft was reported to the postal inspector?
Me wants to see the answer to this for sure! My thoughts exactly. I will ask my goto USPS person as well.

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

Well, if the insurance claim was paid by USPS, it seems logical they would sell it off.

flyslinger
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyslinger »

The real question here is, how did USPS auction it off if the rod was stolen and in the thief's possession? Did they recover the rod, and then put it up for auction, or did they have it all along, sitting on a back shelf in a post office and were too lazy to find the owner? I know both the seller and purchaser had reported it missing.
"Always drink upstream from the herd."

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

flyslinger wrote:
03/05/22 09:13
The real question here is, how did USPS auction it off if the rod was stolen and in the thief's possession? Did they recover the rod, and then put it up for auction, or did they have it all along, sitting on a back shelf in a post office and were too lazy to find the owner? I know both the seller and purchaser had reported it missing.
Once they paid the claim, they are just looking to recoup costs. Maybe they recovered it from a thief, but more likely option 2. At that point, you can’t expect them to go looking for a seller/buyer they have settled with. There’s no point.

DireWolf53
Master Guide

Post by DireWolf53 »

[
The real question here is, how did USPS auction it off if the rod was stolen and in the thief's possession? Did they recover the rod, and then put it up for auction, or did they have it all along, sitting on a back shelf in a post office and were too lazy to find the owner? I know both the seller and purchaser had reported it missing. }

FWIW I'll proffer the following scenario as to what likely happened.

A postal employee cut the packaging open and upon seeing the contents had no interest in the rod.
Leaving within the processing center without any packaging it became a 'lost" item.
I'll assume the rod and tube at that point had nothing to point the USPS to the rightful owner.
This is not a question of anyone being lazy. One item among many with no identification is just that
a lost item.
At some point (if unclaimed) these things get rounded up and put up for auction.
I'm still very disappointed in what happened but finally have a better idea as to what most likely occurred.
File this unfortunate incident under crap happens.

Other than the original bad actor the rest of us involved were just dragged along for the ride.
Last edited by Titelines on 03/06/22 09:56, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited for vulgarity

AlexP
Master Guide

Post by AlexP »

I will just speculate here, but the current seller has multiple items with prices in the thousands, pick up and wire transfer only. You must sign a "waver" upon taking possession.... My guess is that they know that the provenance of these items is questionable at best.

I hope that any honest bamboo buyer would stay away from the rod, even without reading this thread, the offering in the auction site has red flags all over...

It is a shame that a rod of this caliber and maker has ended there....

Tight lines

Return to “Forum Announcements”