Missing Raine Rod

This forum is for making announcements of general interest concerning the forum, events, gatherings, stuff about bamboo, wooden fly rods and classic reels. If you'd like your announcement stuck at the top until the event has passed, drop a note to one of the Moderators. Thanks.

Moderators: czkid, Ken M 44

pmcroberts
Master Guide

Missing Raine Rod

Post by pmcroberts »

Chris shipped a rod to me on May 26th. It disappeared at the Provo Utah hub on the 28th and there have been zero updates on tracking since then. It was shipped 2 day priority. I am still hopeful it will show up, but figured I would give a heads up just in case someone sees it listed or it happens to show up somewhere. I can get the specifics on the rod shortly as it was a gift and a surprise from Chris.

Thanks for keeping an eye out!!

Best,
Paul

DireWolf53
Master Guide

Re: Missing Raine Rod

Post by DireWolf53 »

Hoping you get your rod soon. I wouldn't want to see this become (no pun intended) an epidemic of lost rods.

Paul
"I am not against golf, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering trout." - Paul O'Neil

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by SpringCreek »

Hoping things work out. I had a reel ship to me in December of 2018 and received it in October of 2019 with no damage or other issues. Sometimes things get sidetracked I guess.

Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

pmcroberts
Master Guide

Post by pmcroberts »

Thanks guys!! I am still hopeful it will turn up!!

In trying to find the silver lining of all this..........I was excited about being able to break it in when I go to McCloud for a few days.......but I guess now I will just have to plan an additional get away when it arrives!!

Best,
Paul

Dark Waters
Sport

Post by Dark Waters »

Open a claim on it, this usually flushes them out. I’ve had to do this a couple times over the years. Was a tip from the local postmaster.

pmcroberts
Master Guide

Post by pmcroberts »

Dark Waters........yep!! Did that today!! Fingers crossed!!

Paul

canesterdf
Master Guide

Post by canesterdf »

Hi Paul, Sorry for you and lost rod, I will keep an eye out up here in SO Oregon and keep you posted if and when I hear something. I know there is a lot of weird stuff with shipping going on. I have heard it from another board I am a member of. Let's hope and pray for happy endings. Best Paul in Southern OR

munsey w
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by munsey w »

Paul- Hang in there...This has been happening a lot lately..The last 3 rods I shipped, fell off of the tracking grid for a week, then got delivered! I hope this will be the case! best, Munsey

kentuckyjim
Guide

Post by kentuckyjim »

Munsey
+1 since December
Especially Nashville area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DireWolf53
Master Guide

Post by DireWolf53 »

I've voiced this opinion on other threads but I will throw it out here one last time.
When sending anything of value, especially items that are handmade and therefore by definition
one of a kind I would only use USPS registered mail. It is slow but is undeniably the safest most secure way to send anything you value. After all some of us have waited years for that dream
rod. A delay of a few days is a small price to pay for piece of mind.

Paul
"I am not against golf, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering trout." - Paul O'Neil

thegubster
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by thegubster »

DireWolf53 wrote:I've voiced this opinion on other threads but I will throw it out here one last time.
When sending anything of value, especially items that are handmade and therefore by definition
one of a kind I would only use USPS registered mail. It is slow but is undeniably the safest most secure way to send anything you value. After all some of us have waited years for that dream
rod. A delay of a few days is a small price to pay for piece of mind.

Paul

Thanks for this reminder Paul, I"m making note!!

And Paul Mc. - so sorry to hear of this wrenching issue. I do know that I have a few packages "on the way" from a few different vendors and the delivery of others has been "excessively" slow the last few months.

I'm almost certain you will get your rod but the wait can be agonizing. Here's hoping Paul.

Jeremy.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Another board member and I recently traded reels. The likely one-of-a-kind reel that I sent to him showed as delivered, yet, video cameras of his porch show that no one was on it to deliver the
package , nor take what USPS claimed was delivered. I've filed a claim, but it is too early to know the outcome. The sad part is that due to COVID19, the USPS system has simply been leaving packages which should be signed for.

Now I'm reluctant to sell anything of high value as any USPS worker with half a brain can tell by the amount paid whether or not insurance was purchased and if it has insurance, perhaps it can be flipped for a profit. Sad that a few bad apples force us to question the whole basket.

Cheers,
Joe

pmcroberts
Master Guide

Post by pmcroberts »

Well thank you everyone for the encouragement!! The rod showed up around 9pm two nights ago!!! So yes, I would agree with the others that 2 days priority takes about a week and two days!! I am just happy it’s here!! Now I guess I need to plan another McCloud trip so I can fish it!!

Best,
Paul

crowebeetle
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by crowebeetle »

To eliminate the porch issues, can one arrange to pick up items at the PO?

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

Congrats, Paul! I'm pleased that the rod is now safe in your hands. My recent experience is that delivery now takes somewhat longer than the USPS forecast. And, tracking often doesn't update the status reliably. I suspect that much of the problem stems from the fact that they've been downsized dramatically over the last 6 months or so.

Tim Anderson
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tim Anderson »

Very good, Paul!

Occasionally strange things happen with Priority Mail. We have been forwarding our neighbor's mail to her via Priority Mail because she is staying about 70 miles away during the Covid-19 time. We and she are in California. The last package made it to her overnight. The one before that took off eastward and spent several days vacationing in Memphis, TN before reaching her a full week after being sent.

Tim

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

NewUtahCaneAngler wrote:
06/05/20 21:54
Another board member and I recently traded reels. The likely one-of-a-kind reel that I sent to him showed as delivered, yet, video cameras of his porch show that no one was on it to deliver the
package , nor take what USPS claimed was delivered. I've filed a claim, but it is too early to know the outcome. The sad part is that due to COVID19, the USPS system has simply been leaving packages which should be signed for.

Now I'm reluctant to sell anything of high value as any USPS worker with half a brain can tell by the amount paid whether or not insurance was purchased and if it has insurance, perhaps it can be flipped for a profit. Sad that a few bad apples force us to question the whole basket.

Cheers,
Joe
As has been stated endless times, Registered Mail is the only way to send valuable items via USPS. The carrier has no choice but to have a registered mail item signed for, because once he puts it on his truck for delivery, he is COMPLETELY responsible for the item. Unless he doesn't mind losing his job and/or paying for the item.

DireWolf53
Master Guide

Post by DireWolf53 »

Happy for you that your rod made it "home" fish it in good health.

Paul

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Yay!

EdMcG
Guide

Post by EdMcG »

As the old adage goes “didn’t happen without pictures”, show it off a little.

Return to “Forum Announcements”