Len Codella has passed

This forum is for making announcements of general interest concerning the forum, events, gatherings, stuff about bamboo, wooden fly rods and classic reels. If you'd like your announcement stuck at the top until the event has passed, drop a note to one of the Moderators. Thanks.

Moderators: czkid, Ken M 44

flyfishingpastor
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Len Codella has passed

Post by flyfishingpastor »

Over the years, I have bought a number of reels and a couple of fly rods from Len. Though I have never met the man and all my dealings with him were business ones they were all educational, pleasant and fair. I always enjoyed my phone conversations with him. My favorite memory of Len wasn't even with me. It was with my wife. Some years back I was looking for a reel I had been looking for, for some time. If memory serves, it was a Peerless. Anyway, my wife called him to see if he had one. I don't even know where she came up with his phone number, but she called him. He said he didn't but he would let her know if one came in. Several months later, right before my 50th birthday, Len called her and said he had one in great shape and he bought it for a good price and would pass it along to her since she had looked for so long for a special birthday present. She was very impressed and she told me about his kindness when she gave me the present, saying, this 50th Birthday present if from me and Len Codella.

Rest in peace, Len, the witness to fairness and good will from your many dealings over the years makes a statement of outstanding character that most will envy. The Fly Fishing Community has lost a friend, but you will be with us in our hearts every time we take out that special rod or reel. Thanks for your service for these many years. You will be missed, but not forgotten.

Pat

Bethabara
Guide

Post by Bethabara »

I will sincerely miss that old friend and he has certainly been kind and honest with me.
We have exchanged many phone calls and emails with Len.
I have steered many cane buyers in his direction with confidence.
My condolences to Lens wife Carol in her loss.

Mike Simcik.

OldCane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by OldCane »

Len Codella was one of the first rod resellers that I dealt with some 30+ years ago along with Phil Snyder. Always knowledgeable and nice to deal with, even when I didn't know which way was up. Perhaps both he and Phil will be forever fishing the trout streams in heaven and discussing Phil's favorite St. George reels. He leaves a large hole in the community. RIP Len.
I don't have a PhD, but I do have a DD214.

Fred Kretchman
Sport

Post by Fred Kretchman »

Yes, he will be missed by many. I only met him once in person at a big rod auction in Boxborough in 2004, and he sat in front of me with Bob Corsetti. We were introduced and kept in touch over the following years. He sent me many repair jobs and helped in other ways too. I truly enjoyed our conversations and seeing his catalogs. My best wishes to Carol and family. Fish on, Len...
Fred

midge 7X

Post by midge 7X »

I first saw Len on the Muskie by the Orange Pit dairy bar 52 years ago.He was catching trout one after the other.I said to myself I have to get into this.That was how I got into fly fishing.He gave me a lot of enjoyment over the years.
Thanks Len.

Ray

Tommasini
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tommasini »

Hi Ray,
Where was the Orange Pit Dairy bar? Hacketstown NJ ?

Marty

Tommasini
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tommasini »

Sorry for the last post, I thought I was sending a PM to midge 7X. I'm still getting use to this new set-up.

midge 7X

Post by midge 7X »

Marty, yes,it was on rt.57 by the Schooleys Mt. bridge.

Ray

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, I'm sorry to hear this. I spoke with him a few times, and he was helpful to a wannabe rod maker. He was a pillar in the bamboo rod community. I hope his family can do well.

Jay Edwards

CouleeCountryCane
Guide

Post by CouleeCountryCane »

Coming belatedly to this sad news; I had several exchanges with Len over the past twenty years and more, always pleasant, every one. But an exceptional day was our first meeting in person just over twenty years ago, when he and Carol shared stories of their business in Florida, reaching from Len's first days in tackle collecting and sales, when he noted the rack empty of Payne rods at A & F soon after Jim Payne's passing in 1968, and onward, through the Angler's Den, and the T & T days. And then he started pulling out the rods . . . My condolences to Carol. Tom

tapermaker
Master Guide

Post by tapermaker »

i never met Len , but talked a lot over the last 5 yrs .due to him sending me rods for repair and new sections. The last time was about a yr ago . i scarfed a tip on a Dickerson 801510 as well as restoring the signature and then the rod. A fine gentleman with a wealth of knowledge .

oldtrout
Master Guide

Post by oldtrout »

I purchased some ferruled blanks from Len many years ago.

About 20 years ago I was fishing with Bernard Remanauskus in Canada and he drove me and Sisyphus (from this board) to a beautiful small creek where we fished for cutthroat. Bernard took us up to a pool which he called Len Codella's pool. We took turns catching trout after trout in that pool. This is one of my fondest memories. Len touched many of us in ways he couldn't know.

NedZeppelin
Guide

Post by NedZeppelin »

I am way behind the curve and just learned this, so sad he is a legend, bought several rods from him, never worried that they were not as represented and respected his opinion on them. I did correspond with Carol in early spring and just dropped a short note to her expressing my sympathies. Losing their outlet for great bamboo and reels is a great loss.

Return to “Forum Announcements”