Vulgar language on the forum

This forum is for making announcements of general interest concerning the forum, events, gatherings, stuff about bamboo, wooden fly rods and classic reels. If you'd like your announcement stuck at the top until the event has passed, drop a note to one of the Moderators. Thanks.

Moderators: czkid, Ken M 44

Titelines
Administrator

Vulgar language on the forum

Post by Titelines »

Lately there has been a lot of language being used on the forum that is expressly prohibited by the forums rules. Quoting the applicable secton:

"Obscenity - As a community with a diverse variety of members, age groups and visitors, we ask that our members post without using vulgarity. Vulgarity not only includes vulgar language and pictures but also sexist, racist, anti-religious and homophobic language which may offend other members. Posting words using spaces and/or symbols to get around the profanity filter is unacceptable and may result in being banned."

Notice this includes both spelling out the word in it's entirety and also using spaces and/or symbols in the attempt to obfuscate the word. Neither are permitted on this forum.

Enough is enough, and this language will not be tolerated.

Mark

crowebeetle
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Vulgar language on the forum

Post by crowebeetle »

Thanks for reiterating this. It has become frequent everywhere we have gotten desensitized; it coarsens discussions. Probably provokes others to respond in kind perpetuating the cycle of vulgarity.

magpie
Guide

Post by magpie »

Could you give us some examples?

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

magpie wrote:
07/21/20 19:22
Google George Carlin’s “Seven Dirty Words You Can Never Say On Television”. That should answer your question.

thegubster
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by thegubster »

Thanks for this posted topic Mark. I totally agree with what both you and "crowebeetle" have to say on the topic!!

We just returned from a lovely (I hate that word actually) long 4wk vacation on a beautiful lake in no. Minnesota for muskies and walleyes. The resort is a family resort and it was full. There was a lot of talk with one bunch of guys in a group and quite a bit of "hard" vulgarity with 2 guys in particular. I knew them and they knew me so ...
I "gently" mentioned it and the family atmosphere they had up there. The mention was "heard"...

And you know full well how sound travels over water. I really hate to hear that talk when I'm up north, away from the issues of todays society and then you hear a string of "effinheimers" coming from some boats. It sux!!!! (can I say that?)

Thank you muchly,

Jeremy.

DireWolf53
Master Guide

Post by DireWolf53 »

If you wouldn't say to mom...
"I am not against golf, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering trout." - Paul O'Neil

crowebeetle
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by crowebeetle »

DireWolf53 wrote:
07/21/20 19:51
or a nun

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

crowebeetle wrote:
07/21/20 14:44
Thanks for reiterating this. It has become frequent everywhere we have gotten desensitized; it coarsens discussions. Probably provokes others to respond in kind perpetuating the cycle of vulgarity.
Between TV, malls, schools, the language has become so common among even our youth the words meant for shock or emphasis no longer carry any weight.
DireWolf53 wrote:
07/21/20 19:51
That's a big part of the problem. That doesn't hold a lot of weight anymore. I am in my doddering old age rather sad to see how that language is used in many homes like it was completely natural by both kids and parents. Maybe in today's world it is.

quote=thegubster post_id=887905 time=1595378823 user_id=290]
Thanks for this posted topic Mark. I totally agree with what both you and "crowebeetle" have to say on the topic!!
We just returned from a lovely (I hate that word actually) long 4wk vacation on a beautiful lake in no. Minnesota for muskies and walleyes. The resort is a family resort and it was full. There was a lot of talk with one bunch of guys in a group and quite a bit of "hard" vulgarity with 2 guys in particular. I knew them and they knew me so ...
I "gently" mentioned it and the family atmosphere they had up there. The mention was "heard"...
And you know full well how sound travels over water. I really hate to hear that talk when I'm up north, away from the issues of todays society and then you hear a string of "effinheimers" coming from some boats. It sux!!!! (can I say that?)
Thank you muchly, Jeremy. [/quote]
I hope your trip was all you hoped for Jeremy. When I was running our MN State Employees fishing league I had to come down on a couple of boats to clean up their language while grouping up in front of the ramps. We only had a dozen or so boats together but people would ask who we were with and telling them we're from MN State group and then hearing some of the language just didn't say a lot for our group. Let's hope some of this sinks in and helps clean up some of the language. I've thought of changing posts or deleting them for this before but now I'm sure I'm going to.

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

thegubster wrote:
07/21/20 19:47

Thank you muchly,

Jeremy.
You do know the origin of "sux" (or sucks), don't you?

toothybugs
Master Guide

Post by toothybugs »

wrong66 wrote:
07/21/20 22:33

You do know the origin of "sux" (or sucks), don't you?
I don't, I'm curious.
- NJG
(It's Nate, but I generally only sign my initials.)

Got loopage?
http://plumbrookrods.wordpress.com

Ben Kann
Master Guide

Post by Ben Kann »

There's a line in "Philadelphia Story": "Don't say stinks darling. Smells is quite an ugly enough word". This should be a general guideline for language. There's usually a better way to say whatever...
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.

Titelines
Administrator

Post by Titelines »

magpie wrote:
07/21/20 19:22
Really?

Dave in Maine
Guide

Post by Dave in Maine »

Recently, when the impulse to use profanity or vulgar language has arisen (usually in the context of frustration with some inane rule or other) I've taken to reminding the frustrator along some lines I think are very polite. Something to the effect of, "you know, I was once in the Army. [So], [along the way] I learned all the bad usages [there are in English] and when and how to use them. I even learned some [really vile ones] [that would curl your hair] [or] [make you run screaming in fear] in a couple different foreign languages. So, let's resolve this [and just assume I used some of them]."

So far, it is working.

As to manners and some people not using profanity or vulgar language, it's baloney. They do. There was that overheard speakerphone rant delivered to JFK, Jr. by his mom, Jackie O., during the summer leading up to his (ultimately successful) third try at passing the Bar. He had been out partying the night before instead of studying. Mom was unhappy. Girl could melt the phone with her vocabulary.

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

Boy is this thread embarrassing. If profanity bums you out you're really going to hate reading the news these days.

CL65
Sport

Post by CL65 »

Dave
I think you made a good point, I dislike reading the news these days but do enjoy this site.

Salar4me
Guide

Post by Salar4me »

Excellent message! Can’t thank the moderators enough for their hard work and dedication to keeping the forum running and civil. As is often stated “it is a free country and I have the right to say what I want, how I want to, when I want to.” Yup... say it on another site!

Titelines
Administrator

Post by Titelines »

DaveNJ wrote:
07/22/20 12:47
Boy is this thread embarrassing. If profanity bums you out you're really going to hate reading the news these days.
You're embarrassing yourself with that reply. There's probably a time and place for a good cuss word, lord knows I've used enough of them in my military service and certain locker rooms. However, it's usage is prohibited on this platform.

If you can't find it in yourself to live under the rules of the forum, I invite you to find membership in a forum that may allow this.

Mark

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

Titelines wrote:
07/22/20 15:32
DaveNJ wrote:
You're embarrassing yourself with that reply. There's probably a time and place for a good cuss word, lord knows I've used enough of them in my military service and certain locker rooms. However, it's usage is prohibited on this platform.

If you can't find it in yourself to live under the rules of the forum, I invite you to find membership in a forum that may allow this.

Mark
O0

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

Titelines wrote:
07/22/20 15:32
DaveNJ wrote:

Mark
This is what I meant about so many words being such a common part of kid's and adults talking today the words have ceased to have the shock or emphasis value they used to.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

crowebeetle wrote:
07/21/20 20:29
or a nun
I had an aunt who was a nun and she always told us that she would put soap in our mouths if we said bad words.

Return to “Forum Announcements”