Liveauctioneers breached including passwords

This forum is for making announcements of general interest concerning the forum, events, gatherings, stuff about bamboo, wooden fly rods and classic reels. If you'd like your announcement stuck at the top until the event has passed, drop a note to one of the Moderators. Thanks.

Moderators: czkid, Ken M 44

cdmoore
Bamboo Fanatic

Liveauctioneers breached including passwords

Post by cdmoore »

My credit card company informed me this AM that my Liveauctioneers account had been breached including email address and password. No word yet from Liveauctioneers. Yours may have been compromised, too.

Chris

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Liveauctioneers breached including passwords

Post by jeffkn1 »

Excerpt from a Liveauctioneers email this past Monday:

What Information Was Involved
The data that has been exposed includes user account information like names, email addresses, mailing addresses, phone numbers, visit history, and encrypted passwords (the unauthorised party however managed to decrypt passwords after the cyber attack). Not all of this information may have been present on your bidder account. Please also know that complete payment card numbers were not accessed, and we have no reason to believe auction history was affected.

Their recommendation was that you change your login using something unlike any of your other logins.

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by roycestearns »

Chris & Jeff thanks for the info.

I would suggest instead of changing our passwords we start deleting our accounts when this happens. Leaving a trace/shadow of our account in an obviously compromised system doesn't feel safe. Reestablish the account if you need it in the future.

sunjpg
Guide

Post by sunjpg »

Unlike many companies who've had data breaches, Liveauctioneers has not yet offered any credit or ID monitoring services for the victims of their data breach.

By their own admission as stated in their email above which I received last week, ample information has been breached for Identity Theft.

My monitoring service has sent me notifications both last week and this week regarding my info being found elsewhere. Very disappointing response overall from Liveauctioneers.

Not sure if deleting your current account with them does anything useful as your personal data has already been stolen and in the hacker's hands.

sunjpg
Guide

Post by sunjpg »

To add to my post above, the data breach occurred on July 11th. I was notified last week which was about 3 weeks after they knew of the data breach. They have already disabled your current login password.

Jay

canesterdf
Master Guide

Post by canesterdf »

I am a bit slow to get this are they the ones that do Lang's auction ? and the other smaller collectors market ? OK I thank you. Paul

Return to “Forum Announcements”