Michael Sinclair - UPDATE 1/21

This forum is for making announcements of general interest concerning the forum, events, gatherings, stuff about bamboo, wooden fly rods and classic reels. If you'd like your announcement stuck at the top until the event has passed, drop a note to one of the Moderators. Thanks.

Moderators: czkid, Ken M 44

PaducahMichael
Bamboo Fanatic

Michael Sinclair - UPDATE 1/21

Post by PaducahMichael »

Dear Friends,

I have recently been released from a long hospital stay. I had another fall on Dec 12 with a knock on the head when I landed. While in the hospital I was being treated for Covid19, pneumonia, mild Alzheimers, diabetic lesions, and a few other maladies. The extent of the damages resulting from the head knock is still unknown. I am often confused and my memory is intermittent. I have difficulty maintaining my balance and I require assistance to perform daily activities.

And so I'm here to report that I am alive, I'm home, and - I'm done. The Cane Clinic is now officially out of business. I am making arrangements to have the rods in my possession completed or returned to you as you desire. You know who you are - even if I don't remember. I'll try my best not to further inconvenience you.

Thank you very much for your support over the past 23 (!) years. I wish I could have made it to 25! I hope to see you at the Bash - if we ever have another one.
Bamboo Rod Restoration Service : http://www.caneclinic.com

Rio Grande King
Guide

Re: Michael Sinclair - UPDATE 1/21

Post by Rio Grande King »

Michael:

Very pleased that your are home, and hopefully on the road to recovery. Saddened that The Cane Clinic is to be closed. You have restored a number of rods for me over the years, and I was pleased with them all. I am mostly grateful for our phone conversations, your thoughtful advice, and just plain friendliness.
Your contribution to the knowledge of this hobby has been immense. Thank you.

Ken

fefferje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by fefferje »

I too Michael am glad you are home. It saddens me that the Cane Clinic is closed. I’m sure this is so difficult for you because it is such a part of your life. And you are a person who shows their gifts through beautiful restorations. I hope at least you can restore bamboo at least for yourself. Blessings to you Michael, and I will continue to pray for your recovery. I hope to see you at the Bash in 2022. Peace, Jed
Fefferfly

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Michael,

I'm very happy to know that you are a survivor. At least some of your work at the Cane Clinic will live on through the knowledge that you have shared with others through books and of course, your input to this forum. Thank you and stay well.

Cheers,
Joe

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

Michael,
No apologies are needed. The good news is that you are "alive" and "home," as you said. Your work will be your testament. Thanks for your friendship, and for the rods you have sold to me or fixed for me. Get some rest. You are well respected and well loved.

Lon Teter

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

Michael:
I am so glad to hear you have beaten these maladies and are back at home. As others have said, your work as rod restorer, historian and author have established your legacy, so please rest easy and continue to get well. I appreciate the work you have done for me, bringing my Grangers back, and your help and friendship when I took my first wrong turn into vintage bamboo seven years ago.

My best to you and your wife!
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

canerodscom
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by canerodscom »

Hi Michael

Take care of yourself and Ms Sharon, and Geaux Tigers.

Harry

Kenneth
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Kenneth »

Michael (and Sharon),

I'm just very happy to see you home and alive, to paraphrase Lon. "Your work is your testament" is so well put I cannot think of anything else to add, except say a big "Thank you!" for all you've done for the bamboo rod community.

Please be assured of my prayers and well-wishes,
Kenneth

Grandhogair
Guide

Post by Grandhogair »

Michael,

Sorry to hear of the closing of the Cane Clinic but perfectly understandable. Time to restore yourself. Best wishes to you and your wife. I also want to thank you again for the restoration work you have done on several of my rods, both Grangers and Heddons. I was not sure my #10 would ever fish again but it has thanks to your skill. There was a reason you used it on your site's before and after pics. The Cane Clinic and your books have been major contributions to those of us that fish bamboo. Thank you.

Alan

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Our path have never crossed but I wish you a well recovery

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by adrien schnee »

Michael, you have more than earned your retirement. Your books and the Cane Clinic have been a gift to all of us for nearly a quarter century, and you have turned legions of fly fishers Into bamboo enthusiasts. Your contributions will outlast all of us here, ands future generations will continue to benefit from the knowledge you have shared. Few have added as much to this community as you have Michael, and we are very much grateful for all you have offered and for who you are as a person.

I hope your recovery continues, that you are able to enjoy your time off, and that good times await you.

Adrien

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

Michael, really glad you came through it. You had more than a few of us worried. I don't know what we would do without your wonderful stories at the Bash. Hope you continue to get better and looking forward to seeing you in 2022.

-Bill Walters

OldCane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by OldCane »

Michael,

Thanks for your life's work towards keeping bamboo rods out on the streams of the world with all the books and repair work you produced during those 23 years. Many of us stand on your shoulders and are thankful for what you've accomplished. You've earned a rest.

Don B.
I don't have a PhD, but I do have a DD214.

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

Michael, my friend-

So glad to hear you're home! I hope Shorty is doing well too.

Congratulations on your 'official' retirement. Needless perhaps to say, you have made a HUGE impact on fly fishing and our cherished bamboo rods.

I hope you continue to improve health wise. Take it easy. Be careful and be well!

Best regards and wishes as always,

Scott Z.
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

Michael,
Thank you for everything. If not for you and Bill Underwood, I would have never been exposed to this wonderful world of bamboo 20 years ago. Like so many of us, this world of bamboo and your efforts has made our lives so much richer. You once called me "my favorite remote fishing partner". God willing, we can make that actually happen one day. Take care, get stronger and thank you for everything you have so unselfishly done for our community. Get well, my friend.
Mark Williams

para_adams
Master Guide

Post by para_adams »

Michael, you've been appreciated in so many ways. We wish you the best and for better health to enjoy.

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

Michael--

Congratulations for licking Covid19! I am very pleased to hear that you are home, on the mend, and looking forward to the next Bash!

Thank you for all you have done for me, and for the rest of our community! I wholeheartedly agree with Lon that no apologies are necessary. While I certainly am sad that the Cane Clinic is now closed, I consider us lucky that you shared one of your obsessions with us for so long.

Please follow the doctor's orders, keep up your rehab, as well as your positive attitude. All the best to you and Sharon!

Gratefully,

Rupert

ARTHURK
Master Guide

Post by ARTHURK »

Hi Michael, glad you and Sharon are doing well. Agreed it’s time to take it easy and enjoy bashes. Let’s hope a new generation of Cane Docs will learn from you and continue the great work. Take care!

Arthur

Bamboocollector#1
Master Guide

Post by Bamboocollector#1 »

Michael,

Glad to hear you are home. I hope that rest and being in your home environment will be conducive to a much fuller recovery. Thank you for all your contributions to our hobby & sport ( or addiction for some like me). Your yellow book was the first bamboo related book I ever bought when it first came out many years ago.

Please keep in touch via the forum and e-mail, and enjoy your well deserved retirement.

All the best,
Ed
Previously known as bamboocollector11

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PT48 »

When I learned that you were ill Michael I decided to re-read your Granger book. It stands as a fine achievement and GG must have been very close to a genius.

Return to “Forum Announcements”