Steve Bogdan has passed...

This forum is for making announcements of general interest concerning the forum, events, gatherings, stuff about bamboo, wooden fly rods and classic reels. If you'd like your announcement stuck at the top until the event has passed, drop a note to one of the Moderators. Thanks.

Moderators: czkid, Ken M 44

Fred Kretchman
Sport

Steve Bogdan has passed...

Post by Fred Kretchman »

I'm sorry to announce the passing of Steve Bogdan this morning. As Stan's only son, he carried on the tradition of reel making after Stan's death. He spent the past 10 yrs. fighting cancer, and at one point it looked like he had beaten it, but in just the recent weeks, it came back and spread very quickly. I knew Stan through his reels before I met him, and once I got to meet him, I quickly learned that Steve had been actively making reels alongside his dad for decades. Steve was the quiet type... serious about continuing to craft the finest reels possible, all by hand, and not compromising the process in any way. He resisted the idea of using CNC machines to save time. He enjoyed talking directly to his customers, and hearing of their success's with Bogdan reels. Those of us who own and fish Bogdan reels appreciate the craftsmanship that went into each one, and now it looks like there won't be any more being made. The end of a tradition... May he rest in peace.
Fred Kretchman

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Steve Bogdan has passed...

Post by Hellmtflies »

Very sad news. Both he and his father were top shelf. The work produced by Steve's father Stanley and himself were and is as good as it gets. None better. Their trout reels IMHO are the quintessential trout fishing reels. True Americana work and story. Steve, like his father, will be missed. May they both rest in peace.
Mark

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

That's quite a loss for the angling community. Did he continue to produce reels after his father died?

G-ManBart
Master Guide

Post by G-ManBart »

Very sad...we're losing too many gifted artists these days.

I made an edit to the Wikipedia page on Stanley with the information about Stephen, but I'm certain there could be much more added to the story.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_E._Bogdan

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

This is very sad news indeed...

it was my understanding that Steve did continue the tradition of making bits, assembling, and possibly fixing his dads reels;
which was seldom needed I am sure.

To lose such knowledge... heart breaking. My condolences to the family and those within our community.
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

You either like cane fly rods - or you don't.

Fred Kretchman
Sport

Post by Fred Kretchman »

So, Steve was actively building reels with his dad for over 30 yrs. He was never one to boast about his accomplishments, but he learned to be a perfectionist with the reels. Prior to his fathers passing, they both worked on making about 300 hundred reels of various models. These we sold off in the past number of years by Steve for an annual income. He may have produced a few more new ones, but mostly he repaired/cleaned reels from his customers. He put it this way to me after Stan passed: "... I'll make reels if and when I want to... don't care to build a list of waiting customers and have that kind of pressure any more..." He spent more time with Sandy in Florida, and enjoyed having freedom to do what he wanted, when he wanted. He was always willing to help work on a reel for someone and was proud of the heritage of these reels.
Fred

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

As an aside, how did someone obtain a reel from the Bogdans? Did they sell their reels through a dealer or directly? I sent them an inquiry back in the 80’s and never heard back from them.

KLNC
Guide

Post by KLNC »

It seems there was always a bit of a mystery about obtaining reels. They did place them with some select dealers from time to time--I acquired one that way. Other times, I just sent them a letter and obtained them directly from them. It was fairly quick, and I had no special "in" with them. I guess serendipity would be the best way to describe the Bogdan acquisition practice. I'm sure others had different experiences--perhaps none the same.

Very sorry to hear about Steve. End of an era for sure.
KLNC (formerly Spey Salar on the Forum)

oquassa

Post by oquassa »

I bought a couple of reels directly from Stan in the 1970's. I mailed a written order for the reel. After six months or so the reel would be sent to me along with the invoice. I would then mail him a check. The business model was a bit unusual to say the least.

Wild Skies
Guide

Post by Wild Skies »

Sad news indeed. I had bought a LHW Baby Bogdan Wide directly through Steve Bogdan before Stan's passing.
Wild Skies
Since 1951

60InchDV8
Master Guide

Post by 60InchDV8 »

Very sad news....I met and dealt with Stan and Steve through their kind and generous support of the Atlantic Salmon Federation chapter here in Toronto. They were both fine gentlemen and among America’s finest reel makers.They frequently donated a reel for our auctions at our annual fundraising dinners. I immensely enjoy fishing with my Bogdan # 0 and #1 dry fly reels every time I float or wake a Bomber or a Caddis over salmon or steelhead water. I’m looking forward to using them in Sept and Oct for the fall run here and will toast and celebrate the memory of both Stan and Steve tonight and while on the river.
Regards from the Restigouche....Jim

wctc1
Master Guide

Post by wctc1 »

There will be no other reel makers like the Bodgan's.
After I washed my hands, an acquaintance let me hold and look at a Bogdan reel without disassembly. He knew I knew a bit about machining. I turned it and turned it to each of my ears which he found interesting. I was absolutely amazed that a hand worked machined reel could sound like it sounded.
When I was really fishing, I wanted one, but could not afford one. Drats those cane rods and the economical winches I can afford that they hold.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

I'm sorry to learn of Steve's passing. I never met Steve, nor his father, Stan, but have owned many Orvis CFO reels during my short bout of insanity with this sport. I recently purchased a fly rod made of the unmentionable material and found all of the reels in my current inventory to be too heavy. I had always thought that the Bogdan designed Orvis CFO was too light, but since it was developed in the early 70' either Steve's dad, Stan, or Orvis Management saw that cane was the past and graphite the future, and thus the birth of the iconic Orvis CFO.

Now, I feel that I need one to pair with a certain 7'9" rod that is out of whack balance wise with all of my reels. Pure genius on someone's part to create such lightweight reels as the Bogden designed CFOs. RIP Steve. I soon plan to acquire a CFO III or IV from the 1970's after passing off a 1/2 dozen as too light and will soon appreciate the Bogdan genius.

Tight lines,
Joe

JabaliHunter
Guide

Post by JabaliHunter »

Sad news indeed. May Stan and Steve’s legacy endure…

salmonid1
Guide

Post by salmonid1 »

Yes, indeed. Very sad news. Hope Sandy is doing OK. Must reach out to her as we were on very friendly terms. Carmine Lisella

Return to “Forum Announcements”