The Railroad Ranch

This forum is for making announcements of general interest concerning the forum, events, gatherings, stuff about bamboo, wooden fly rods and classic reels. If you'd like your announcement stuck at the top until the event has passed, drop a note to one of the Moderators. Thanks.

Moderators: czkid, Ken M 44

limestoner
Sport

The Railroad Ranch

Post by limestoner »

Just saw this in the Island Park News - Firehole, just how likely is this to happen? Would rather see the property revert to the Harriman family than the Idaho Department of Lands .... I can just see it now, Harriman Mews, a new and exclusive townhome and condominium development, shopping mall, etc ... right on the banks of the Henry's Fork .... Goodbye rainbows, hello snakeheads and jumping carp.

Here's the article.
Limestoner ISLAND PARK - It is impossible to imagine Island Park without its crown jewel, Harriman State Park. But this could be a reality because Idaho Governor C.L. "Butch" Otter has proposed eliminating funding for the Idaho Department of Parks and Recreation (IDPR) as part of his larger effort to trim the 2010 state budget.

The elimination of IDPR could result in the loss of Harriman State Park. The property was originally owned by the Harriman family of New York state and officially transferred to Idaho on April 1, 1977, following the formation of the Idaho Department of Parks and Recreation. It opened to the public in 1982. The family's gift had some conditions, including that a state agency be created to manage the park. According to the agreement between the Harriman family and the state of Idaho, the park must revert to the family should the state default on any parts of the agreement, including that of the provision of a managing agency. A portion of the ranch that extended beyond the Idaho state line into Montana was sold for $510,000, and that money was used to create the Harriman Trust Fund. Harriman was allowed to retain park-generated revenues on-site for park expenses.

Otter said he wants to merge the Department of Parks and Recreation and the Department of Lands and move the state park system to userfee based financing. He guessed that the move will save $10 million next year and $7 million in future years. The Department of Lands is mandated to manage its holdings to produce the greatest possible income. It's land management policies are nothing like those of IDPR. The Joint Finance-Appropriations Committee (JFAC) will hold a public hearing on Otter's proposal at 8 a.m. Monday, February 1. The first 45 minutes will be devoted to recommendations of the Interim Committee on Alternative Funding for Parks and Recreation and a review of the current funding sources. The next hour will be for testimony from the state Department of Parks and Recreation. After a 15 minute break, the committee will hear from the Department of Lands. After its series of public hearings on the budget, JFAC presents an appropriations bill to the Legislature, which holds more hearings before submitting the final budget to the governor. Jennifer Wernex, IDPR's communication manager, said this week that Otter's office has instructed IDPR officials to not speak with the media about Otter's proposal and to tell media to call Otter's office with questions. Jon Hanian, Otter's spokesman, said "We will not comment on any hypothetical results that eliminating IDPR could create." He said IDPR funds 162 positions, and he was not sure how many would be lost if the proposal becomes a reality. Hanian said, due to the economic climate, "We have to re-examine all we do in state government and streamline government roles and responsibilities. We believe this proposal will save taxpayers money." "The most obvious effect of IDPR being eliminated will be the loss to the people of Idaho of the lands and facilities currently managed by the agency," said Steve Trafton, Executive Director of the Henry's Fork Foundation. "At no place will this loss be more obvious than at the park that started the agency: Harriman. This stunning 11,000 acre park with its eight miles of the Henry's Fork is an international destination, arguably the most famous trout river in the world and one of Idaho's most recognizable landscapes." "The value of Harriman State Park cannot be measured in dollars and cents," said Trafton. "The move by the state of Idaho to give up the Harriman gift - not to mention dozens of other state parks - is a shortsighted, short term decision that will be permanently harmful. No benefactor will ever consider making such a gift to the state again. This is no way to treat the citizens of Idaho." Trafton noted that the Henry's Fork generates an estimated $30 million dollars in revenue to the local economy each year, according to studies conducted by researchers at Colorado State University and the Idaho Department of Fish and Game. "If we look at the park in financial terms, Harriman is at the heart of the Henry's Fork's attraction to anglers from all over the world," said Trafton. "Those dollars generated by the river may not be making it directly into the state's coffers, but they are helping to drive the Fremont County economy." The Island Park News called all District 34 and District 35 representatives and senators, and as of this week's deadline, heard back only from Lenore Barrett (R), District 35, Challis. Barrett said she did not know the governor was going to propose eliminating the IDPR until she heard his state of the state speech on Monday, January 11. "Then I thought, 'talk is cheap,'" she said. "I did not think it would be anything that would be considered seriously until now that I hear it is going to be discussed in a public hearing." She said she is still "mulling this over. As a rule, consolidation can be a good step. It does not seem to be the case here, however. I need to learn more about what this would mean, and I need to talk with people in IDPR and ISL," she noted. "Perhaps closures and cuts, or fee increases, could be looked at instead of dissolving IDPR." Barrett said she was not aware of the gift agreement between the Harrimans and the state, and said there are probably other legislators who do not know Harriman State Park's history. "This needs more study, and I am concerned that there is a committee hearing on this on February 1. More time is needed," she said. Regarding the state's budget in general Barrett said, "To keep the budget under control we must raise taxes or cut spending. We cannot raise taxes in a recession, so we must cut spending." The Joint Finance- Appropriations Committee consists of these Senate Finance Committee members: Dean Cameron, Co- Chairman, Rupert, (R), District 26; Shawn Keough, Sandpoint, (R), District 1; Joyce Broadsword, Sagle, (R), District 2; Steve Bair, Blackfoot, (R), District 28; James Hammond, Coeur d'Alene, (R), District 5; Jeff Siddoway, Terreton, (R), District 35, Bert Brackett, Rogerson, (R), District 23; Dean Mortimer, Idaho Falls, (R), District 32; Diane Bilyeu, Pocatello, (D), District 29; Nicole LeFavour, Boise (D), District 19. And, these House Appropriations Committee members: Maxine Bell, Co- Chairman, Jerome, (R), District 26B; Darrell Bolz, Caldwell, (R), District 10B; George Eskridge, Dover, (R)) District 1B; Clifford Bayer, Boise, (R), District 21B; Frank Henderson, Post Falls, (R), District 32A; Fred Wood, Burley, (R) District 27B; Jim Patrick, Twin Falls, (R), District 23A; Shirley Ringo, Moscow, (D), District 6B; and Wendy Jaquet, Ketchum, (D) District 25A. Island Park is in Legislative District 35, represented by Senator Jeff C. Siddoway (R),Terreton, 1764 E. 1200 N., Terreton, 83450; Home (208) 663-4585; Bus (208) 663-4585; FAX (208) 663-4428; Representative JoAn E. Wood (R), Rigby, House Seat A, 3778 E. 500 N., Rigby, 83442; Home (208) 745-7846; FAX (208) 745-8420; and Representative Lenore Hardy Barrett (R), Challis, House Seat B, P.O. Box 347, Challis, 83226; Home (208) 879-2797; FAX (208) 879- 4257. The rest of Fremont County is in Legislative District 34, represented by Senator Brent Hill (R), Rexburg 1010 S. 2nd E., Rexburg, 83440; Home (208) 356- 7495; Bus (208) 356-3677; FAX (208) 356-3689; Representative Mack G. Shirley (R), Rexburg, House Seat A. 443 W. Moran View, Rexburg, 83440-5177; Home (208) 356-3831; Representative Dell Raybould (R), Rexburg, House Seat B, 3215 N. 2000 W., Rexburg, 83440; Home (208) 356-6837; Bus (208) 356-6837. Comments should be sent before the February 1 JFAC meeting.

firehole
Bamboo Fanatic

The Railroad Ranch

Post by firehole »

limestoner,
In yesterday's Idaho Falls newspaper there was a front page article in regards to Governor Otter's plans and how it relates to Harriman State Park. The article presented info from HFF Steve Trafton, IDPR and the governors office including Gov. Otter himself. The gist of it they're reviewing the original agreement with the Harriman family to see if moving the IDPR to Department of Idaho Lands would jeopardize the original agreement. Gov. Otter made the statement that the State of Idaho would not lose Harriman's.
I'll provide more info as it becomes available.
IMHO the firestorm may have gotten a lot bigger than Gov. Otter suspected it might. One must also realize there are over 30 state parks under the IDPR. He's taking it from constituents from all over the state relative to the state parks they love.
Dennis

Mark Huff
Master Guide
Location: midway between the Bow, Crowsnest/Elk, and N Montana

The Railroad Ranch

Post by Mark Huff »

This today from Gov Otter in reply to my email to him:

January 15, 2010

Mark Huff

Dear Mark,

Thank you for contacting me about Idaho Department of Parks and Recreation (IDPR). I appreciate the opportunity to respond.

We are currently looking at all possible scenarios to reduce IDPR's dependence on General Fund revenue. The option presented in my budget is but one option that may be available for finding efficiencies in State government. I look forward to working with the Legislature and IDPR to explore all options, including consolidation. The ultimate goal is to make IDPR self-sufficient.

As you might expect with any State agency, there is a lot of financial and legal information to review before moving forward with a proposal. My staff is working diligently with the Parks and Recreation Board and director on a business plan to make sure we do not jeopardize any delivery of services and operations or legal obligations on behalf of the State of Idaho in the process.

Our goal is to continue providing a great State parks experience at a competitive rate for all Idahoans, while finding much-needed budget savings through efficiencies and by removing any duplication of services within State government.

Again thank you for contacting me. Please don't hesitate to contact me in the future with any other ideas or questions related to state government.

As Always - Idaho, "Esto Perpetua"

CLO/sg C.L. "Butch" Otter
Governor of Idaho

16pmd
Bamboo Fanatic

The Railroad Ranch

Post by 16pmd »

This threat to the Railroad Ranch (Harriman State Park) is SERIOUS. WRITE THE GOVERNOR NOW. Here's an easy way to do it: The Henry's Fork Lodge website - www.henrysforklodge.com - has a click-and-send model letter that you can modify to your taste and instructions on how to send it to the governor. Click the "Harriman State Park Threatened" headline on the homepage and it will take you to the letter and an explanation of the situation.

SideChannel
Master Guide

The Railroad Ranch

Post by SideChannel »

Thanks for the alert. I have sent my email.

SideChannel
Master Guide

The Railroad Ranch

Post by SideChannel »

Thanks for the alert. I have sent my email.

wctc1
Master Guide

The Railroad Ranch

Post by wctc1 »

Many thanks Limestoner & 16 pmd.

It's worth 44c to me to know a piece of paper landed in the Governor's office. Image

I also made major changes to the wording, polite all the way.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: The Railroad Ranch

Post by ibookje »

So what happened since?

cdmoore
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cdmoore »

Well, for one thing, Governor Otter...ain't.

16pmd
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 16pmd »

Thanks to letters to Gov. Otter, especially one from a member of the Harriman family who lives in Idaho, the gov. backed down. He did reduce the Parks & Rec budget, but that department survived and still runs Harriman. A new nonprofit group, Friends of Harriman State Park, was formed and both raises private money to support the park and does projects to improve it - an impressive effort by locals, summer residents, and anglers. Fishing was good on the Ranch last season and consecutive good water years promise another good fishing year in 2020 - fingers crossed.

carl otto
Master Guide

Post by carl otto »

16pmd: Good news indeed. I might guess, that with folks like you around, The Ranch would have guardian angels hovering over it to affect this outcome. So to whom do I send a donation?

Carl @ Wanigas Rod Company

16pmd
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 16pmd »

The organization that formed in response to the governor's attempt to shut down the Idaho Dept. of Parks & Rec. is The Friends of Harriman State Park: https://www.friendsofharriman.org

They do good work raising funds for the Park and doing projects to improve it, and are highly worthy of support from us anglers, who are the Park's major users.

Return to “Forum Announcements”