FYAO 2007

This forum is for making announcements of general interest concerning the forum, events, gatherings, stuff about bamboo, wooden fly rods and classic reels. If you'd like your announcement stuck at the top until the event has passed, drop a note to one of the Moderators. Thanks.

Moderators: czkid, Ken M 44

Titelines
Administrator

FYAO 2007

Post by Titelines »

Howdy folks,

We'll be holding our 6th Annual FYAO (Freeze Yer Arse Off) fishing
day on January 1, 2007 at the Gunpowder River in upstate Maryland.
It's located about halfway between Baltimore, MD and York, PA. As
usual, we'll meet up for breakfast, figure out who's fishing with who
and on which stretch of the water, then head over to Backwater
Anglers for those that need licenses and any last minute things, and
hit the water. We usually meet up afterwards, either at one of the
parking lots in the town of Hereford, or if the weather isn't that
great, there's a nice pub near the town of Hereford we can all gather
at. If you're interested in joing us, please email me your email
address so that I can add you to the mailing list! and keep you
updated. My email address is: mark.wendt at nrl.navy.mil, just
substitute an "@" for the "at." Come on out and have a good time with
us on New Years Day!

Cheers,
Mark

Ken M 44
Administrator

FYAO 2007

Post by Ken M 44 »

Hereford ?????????

Are you sure ?

K of H

Berry Point
Master Guide

FYAO 2007

Post by Berry Point »

!-- :D --> One of these days Ken you'll have to take the "name all the states, cities, towns, villages, hamlets, fields, 'hollers,' dales, marshes and crossroads in the original 13 colonies named for people places and things English" trivia challenge. And over here we think Hereford is a kind of cow anyway !-- :lol -->

I would dearly love to participate in the FYAO on the Gunpowder. I'm in Baltimore right now in fact and with the 60 degree temps forecast I might fish it this weekend. But sadly I'll be gone by New Year's day....rain check for next year?
Cheers,
Paul

aquabonito
Master Guide

FYAO 2007

Post by aquabonito »

Is the Backwater Angler and the Pioneer Pub open on New Year's Day?
Have a nice day,

Andy

Titelines
Administrator

FYAO 2007

Post by Titelines »

Andy,

Theaux usually has the store open on New Years Day, unless New Years happens to fall on a Wednesday. New Years is on a Monday this year, so I expect the shop will be open. In the past, the Pioneer has been open on New Years also.

Here's the FYAO update I've been posting this morning:

Howdy Gang,

Here's the Backwater Angler fishing report, as of December 16th:

The river is low, at 28 CFs clear, and the water temp is 42 F and warming quickly each afternoon. Try stoneflies early in the day in riffles and flats, particuarly along fallen trees and log jams. According to several reports this week, the little black flies are just starting to come off between Falls Rd and the Dam. Most of these flies can be imitated with a midge cluster pattern such as a Renegade or a Griffiths Gnat in a #18-22. Brassies and midge emergers are also worth a shot. When fishing small patterns in low water, instead of using a strike indicator consider greasing up the butt, (heavy) section of your leader with silicone in the first three feet so it will be easier to detect a strike. If fish are making rings, try the midge cluster patterns, if they appear to be bulging or pushing with their backs out, switch to the midge emergers.Fish are still holding in very shallow water so limit your wading and use leaders in the 10 to 14 ft range ending in 6 and 7x.

The 10 day weather forecast shows the temps to be in the mid to high 40's, so it looks like it might be a tad cooler this year than in some of our previous years.

We're still planning on meeting up at the Bob Evans at 10:00 AM. Just in case, it's exit 17 off I83, Padonia Road.

Mark

Return to “Forum Announcements”