2006 Metolius Bamboo Rod Fair

This forum is for making announcements of general interest concerning the forum, events, gatherings, stuff about bamboo, wooden fly rods and classic reels. If you'd like your announcement stuck at the top until the event has passed, drop a note to one of the Moderators. Thanks.

Moderators: czkid, Ken M 44

Bamboo Adict
Guide

Post by Bamboo Adict »

Will see you all there, can't miss this one. Will be there Thursday.
David

softstick
Master Guide

Post by softstick »

I spoke at length with Roger last night regarding the show. Tom Dorsey will not be there as he has a wedding to attend. Jerry Kustich emailed me yesterday and he will be there. Chris McDowell will not be there and I don't think Daryll Whitehead will be there either.
Please remember there is no smoking or drinking at the show site since it is on school grounds.
I've heard a rumor that it is David Roberts aka Bamboo Adict birthday on Friday so bring your scotch and bourbon to his campsite and give him a big toast. His campsite is usually around the Allingham Bridge.
Also on Friday around 6:00 or so in the evening everyone is invited to the cabin being shared by Greg Hall, AJ Thramer and myself where we will be casting rods. The cabin is the Metolius River Resort which is between the river and the Kokanee restaurant. Everyone please bring your rods and reels for all to see. If you have a particular rod you don't want to cast that's fine.
If someone wants to hook up with other members please post your inquiries here and we can make arrangements.

bdcanefly
Master Guide

Post by bdcanefly »

Looks like I will be heading up by myself,
No spouce or kids.
Any one renting a cabin, and wants to split it let me know.
I will be there mid friday and leave sunday or monday.
Leave message in inbox.

BDCImage

softstick
Master Guide

Post by softstick »

Here is the press release from Roger that will be in the newspapers.

Metolius River Fly Fishing and Bamboo Rod Fair

It?s that time of year again, and the Bamboo Rod Fair is fast approaching. This year?s show is shaping up to be the biggest and hopefully the best yet! The show will be a two day affair this year. We have a larger list of attendees, and we?ve expanded to the 60? by 120? tent this year also. The video presentation area will be under the big top this year as well as an expanded fly tying area, and several book signings.
Headlining our event this year is Barry Wulff, son of fly fishing legend Lee Wulff. Barry is an international hiking guide, who has graciously taken time from his busy schedule, to come to the show and autograph copies of the biography of his Dad titled ?Lee Wulff, Bush Pilot Angler?. Barry will also be showing vintage footage of his Dad, and talking of his youth.
Approximately two dozen Northwest and West Coast bamboo rod makers will be in attendance. If you have been considering the purchase of a bamboo rod, or just wondered what the hoopla is all about, this is a rare opportunity. There will be rods that are light and delicate dry fly rods, all the way up to stronger and more powerful rods that are worthy of the best steelhead and salmon action. We expect close to two hundred rods to be available to play with. All these rods are available to cast in our casting pond. In addition to evaluating them, you will have the chance to talk with the artisan, who created the rod, find our how and why they work. Since there are multiple rods in every category, you can try several and find the rod that fits you and your style the best. Rods are available for purchase at the show, or you can custom order a rod direct from the maker.
We will have numerous will known fly tiers showing off their skills, including Joe Howell, Mike Brooks, Lee Clark, Mike Marchando and Dave Roberts.
Dan Brock, as well as several other collectors, will gladly evaluate and appraise your old and/or collectable fishing gear. They are experts on all fishing gear. There is no charge for their services.
Numerous factory representatives will also be in attendance, showing the newest and best fly fishing gear.
Jerry Kustich, from the new Sweetgrass Rod Company will be here showing off their new line of bamboo rods. Jerry, who is also an excellent writer, will be signing copies of his books.
Feathasticks Rod Company will be launching their new line of bamboo rods at this years show. In addition, numerous artists will be here, both creating new art and selling their wares.
The State of Oregon, Angler Education Program will be here again, giving introductory fly fishing and casting lessons to any and all. Food and beverages will be available at the show.
The show will be on Saturday July 15 from 10 until 5, and Sunday July 16 from 10 until 2ish. Look for the tent in the back of the Black Butte School in Camp Sherman, OR. Any question, please call the Camp Sherman Store at 1-541-595-6711, or visit our site at www.campshermanstore.com. Remember, there is no fee for this event.

wctc1
Master Guide

Post by wctc1 »

Mike has approved the following words:

"After coming to the first four fairs, this year Mike Brooks cannot attend.

He and his family are traveling to Eastern Washington to be with his father.

He regrets that he can not see his many friends, Roger and crew, and guests of the event."

Joe Beelart

mvbrooks
Master Guide

Post by mvbrooks »

I really wanted to be there this year, but my father's health has taken a turn for the worse. He has genative heart disease and ended up in the hospitol again. So, we are spending our weekends with him. I apologize for this and will miss you all. Keep my did in your prayers and thoughts. Thank you.
Mike Brooks

djbucktail

Post by djbucktail »

Mike,

I am sorry you won't be there, I wanted to finally meet you. It is best that you are with your dad.

My dad passed away many years ago from the same ailment. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Best Regards,

Dick Hedges

wctc1
Master Guide

Post by wctc1 »

Well, sports fans, I thought I'd talked Mr. Bruce Howell {not Howells} now of Grants Pass, and formerly of Medford into coming this year.

But, he can't attend. On Wednesday, I suggested to Bruce that he stay home.

I smile. The details are unimportant. Let's just say that he is uncomfortable after building a new house and renovating a horse barn for his "new" bamboo rod shop.

Anyway, Bruce asks me to tell all that know him, "Hello."

I managed an interview with this reclusive, highly technical, long-time bamboo rod maker for my book, "Oregon Bamboo."

When you are at the fair, ask David Roberts about Bruce. David is learning bamboo rod making with Bruce's coaching.

"Coaching?" Oh, it comes natural to Howell. He was the athletic director for the Medford district, and for many years was the coach of the highly respected Medford "Black Tornado" football team.

My best,

Joe Beelart

Ps: the galleys for the book showed up on my step yesterday! They look good. It will take a while longer.

djbucktail

Post by djbucktail »

Greetings,

It's almost here! I'm going over early (Wed) if any of you want to hook up and do some fishing (and catching, if our karma is right). I would like to do the Crooked one day and the Metolious another (yes, I am a glutton for punishment).

Email me at djhedges@aol.com.

See you all on Sat... or Friday eve.

dj

wctc1
Master Guide

Post by wctc1 »

Craig Lynch just called.

For those of you who were expecting him, he will not be able to attend.

His father died today.

Craig looks forward to 2007. Let us all look forward to 2007.

There will be plenty of people this year. The fair is a good thing.

Roger, thank you.

My best,

Joe Beelart

Bamboo Adict
Guide

Post by Bamboo Adict »

Joe and all will be leaving here at 04:00 in the AM (Thur) will see you all there.
David

wefishcane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wefishcane »

I've been waiting to hear a report on the gathering. What were the highlights?
Jim

wctc1
Master Guide

Post by wctc1 »

In brief, from my perspective:

1. Huge tent this year -- 25% larger or about 125' x 60' {I think}.

2. Was a two day event this year. Saturday seemed to have a steady flow of people. Reports indicate that mid-day on Sunday had the most action.

3. Some people may have not "found" the event due to a small show put on by a fly shop about 20 miles east.

4. Through an odd set of circumstances, Steve Kiley was the sole big name maker. This allowed lesser known makers such as Roger Fairfield, Dennis Stone, and Jim Loucks (pronounced "Laux} more time with the public.

5. Roger demonstrated rod making. Dennis had his pack rods out. Jim Loucks had a series of rods, including one he made that was also signed by Daryll Whitehead. It is a very beautifully made blond rod.

6. There was a very nice group of book authors, fly tiers, reel makers, Struble fly seats, tackle dealers, collectors, artists, and other exhibitors. These exhibitors were very entertaining and infomative.

7. There were many visual presentations. John Judy put on his spey casting demo again. Always fun to watch.

8. The Camp Sherman store put on a great picnic supper Saturday. Well worth the money!

Again, this is just an overview.

Yours,

Joe Beelart
Sometime apprentice to Steve Kiley and forthcoming author of "Oregon Bamboo."

Ps: if you are thinking about 2007, reserve motel or camping spaces early.

Return to “Forum Announcements”