2006 Metolius Bamboo Rod Fair

This forum is for making announcements of general interest concerning the forum, events, gatherings, stuff about bamboo, wooden fly rods and classic reels. If you'd like your announcement stuck at the top until the event has passed, drop a note to one of the Moderators. Thanks.

Moderators: czkid, Ken M 44

softstick
Master Guide

Post by softstick »

This year's show is going to be Saturday, July 15th and Sunday, July 16th. The event is starting to shape up quickly and Roger White and I have been communicating frequently regarding the organization for this year's event.
It looks like we might have Jason Borger back this year as well as John Judy.
Roger has been in communication with Joan Wulff and Tom Dorsey about attending this year's event and I have been talking to Glenn Brackett and Jerry Kustich. At this point I would say Jerry is more of a probability than Glenn.
This year is going to be bigger and better than last year with more demonstrations, slide shows and so forth. As soon as Roger gets a poster together and some more info I will post it here.

paxlev
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by paxlev »

For the unenlighted members of this board (principally, me), where will the fair be held at?

softstick
Master Guide

Post by softstick »

The event is in Camp Sherman, OR.

wctc1
Master Guide

Post by wctc1 »

I have been to all four fairs. They only get better.

For practical purposes, the fair is about a five hour drive SE of Portland International Airport, or about three hours east of Eugene, Oregon.

It is in one of the most scenic areas of Central Oregon.

Accomodations are limited. Make plans now.

Contact Camp Sherman store for places to stay near the fair. About six miles away is Black Butte, which is a high end resort with many rentals.

About 16 miles away is Sisters, Oregon. There is a Best Western there. If you make reservations and cannot check in, be sure to cancel within their time limits!

About an hour to the east is Bend, Oregon. It is a virtual resort town nowdays.

For high end campers {i.e. hard siders}, reserve early. Check the USFS site for availability. I know some people took vacation to arrive on Wednesday last year.

For those with a long range plan, I suggest you rent the little cabin maintained by the Camp Sherman Store. Don't be cheap. Go for a week if you ask for the cabin.

Longcreek and Banjo have their place. Try and get them to tell you where and rent near.

Remember, the "Magic begins when Banjo opens Pandora's Box."!-- :b -->

I will say this on my experience -- we camp at a semi-improved campground about five miles from Camp Sherman. Years one and two, I left early on Friday and got our spaces, but on year two, I had to take second best.

On year three, I took two days and went over on Thursday to get our sites. On fair year four -- last year -- I went over on Thursday and already campers had the best site!!

Fortunately, they had to leave on Friday and we had our riverside camp again.

It is a great time. Also folks, if you have some volunteer time on Friday to help set up and on Sunday to help take down, I know it your efforts will be much appreciated by Roger and the Camp Sherman store crew.

So, get there early, help out a little and have a great time. For me, at my age, it is a wonderful thing to anticipate.

Joe Beelart
Apprentice to Steve Kiley

Ps: for a couple of pictures, please post me off line.

PsPs: don't expect great fishing. Those trouts have seen it all. And beware the many regulations.

PsPsPs: stop by our camp. We'll show you the bull trout holding and walk you to the big cliff side springs. Plus, if you are hardy, enjoy a sunrise on the cinder butte.

Am I excited, or what? What if I can't go? !-- :( -->

Umpqua Beaver
Sport

Post by Umpqua Beaver »

I'm looking forward to another one as well. Roger and crew do such a great job.

I meant to contact you before the holidays to inquire how your book was progressing. Will it be available for the Fair?

Ron

softstick
Master Guide

Post by softstick »

Here is a list of Lodging:

Black Butte Resort/ RV Park
541-595-6514
www.blackbutte-resort.com

Camp Sherman Store/ Roger has a cabin he rents out
541-595-6711
www.campshermanstore.com

Cold Springs Resort/ RV Park
541-595-6271
www.coldsprings-resort.com

Kokanee Cafe & Guest Rooms
541-595-6420

Lake Creek Lodge
1-800-797-6331
www.lakecreeklodge.com

Metolius River Lodges
1-800-595-6290
www.metoliusriverlodges.com

Metolius River Resort
1-800-81-TROUT
www.metolius-river-resort.com
This is where longcreek and banjo stayed last year. This is also where a number of people congregated on Friday and Saturday night to cast rods. Very nice place!

Suttle Lake Resort
541-595-6662
www.suttlelake.com
A very nice resort 10 minutes from Camp Sherman. The resort has a wonderful up scale restaurant and full resort amenities.

softstick
Master Guide

Post by softstick »

Are you folks who are coming to the show interested in seeing a spliced joint quad? I have been talking with rodmaker Chris Obuchowski in Portland who cannot make it to the show but he is making me a quad and he makes them with either ferrules or a splice joint. I personally think the splice joint is very unique and from what he says they cast like a one piece rod. He also makes them hollow built. I am looking at either a 7' 2/2 4 weight or a 7' 6" 2/2 4 weight. This is going to be my personal rod but I would make it available for all to cast and check out. Bob (quadfisher) are you listening !-- :smokin -->

bdcanefly
Master Guide

Post by bdcanefly »

Looks like this year I will be there.
Tried to last year, but went to Maine in the R.V.
Year before that went to Montana.
Told the wife to plan on a stop on our
way to the Washington state,
Never been there, she has family
in the " Sound " area.Image
Will start checking on camp grounds now.
Of course will bring a few sticks to cast.

BDCImage

Blitzen
Guide

Post by Blitzen »

Dan,

I'd like to see it and cast it. I cast one of Chris O's 8' spliced joint quads a few years ago and it was high quality.

softstick
Master Guide

Post by softstick »

Hey Chris, Chris O. sent me a pile of pictures last night of his spliced joint quad and I was blown away. He does top shelf work, beautiful opaque wraps, makes his own ferrules, makes his own reel seats/ hardware. His varnish work looked flawless and the tabs that he makes for the spliced joints are functional and eye appealing. It's interesting to compare how he makes his spliced joints versus what Per Brandin is doing right now.

softstick
Master Guide

Post by softstick »

Jonezee

Post by Jonezee »

I notice a post above that says Camp Sherman is 5 hours SE of Portland. I have driven the route many times for many years. If you head south on I-5 to Salem, Take HWY 20 East over the mountains you will log about 165 miles and make the trip in 3 hours. That is of course if you don't stop at Detroit Lake along the way and or take photo's every 10 miles or so...beautiful vista's...mountains, lakes. The only thing about the summer may be a slow-down snag with hwy.construction. You never know. Anyway, it is a beautiful drive and 4 lanes most of the way. The Fly Fishers shop in Sisters is very user friendly and will have most anything in the way of fly fishing you may need. Drive safely. Jonezee

Umpqua Beaver
Sport

Post by Umpqua Beaver »

Although I have never been to the fly shop in Sisters, I can't imagine they have much more that you would need than Roger does at the Camp Sherman Store. He has a well-stocked supply. Of course, a by-passed fly shop could be taken as disrespectful. Roger's just happens to be very convenient for Metolius anglers.

Jonezee

Post by Jonezee »

I couldn't agree more about Rogers shop. I enjoy watching the little kids tossing bread crumbs and fish food to the big bulls under the bridge by his shop. Grab a cold one and sit on a bench out front, they also make great coffee for those early morning visists. What sweet bliss. I wish I was going. Take pictues and share, thanks, Jonezee

softstick
Master Guide

Post by softstick »

Jonezee, if you read Powerfibers you can catch my articles that I write for them every year about the Metolius Bamboo Rod Fair. Chris McDowell wrote the first one or two and I have been writing them since and taking lots of pictures.
As for updates regarding the show, Tom Dorsey is coming as well as Jerry Kustich with info on Sweetgrass rods. Jerry will also be bringing some pentas and some books that he will be signing and selling. I think I also have a firm commitment from Rick Sorensen of West Slope Classic Fly Tackle and possibly Jim Reams.

Jonezee

Post by Jonezee »

Softstick - I have browsed Powerfibers online and must say it is a very impressive magazine for the Bamboo Rod Builder and those that love their creations. I live in Michigan and can say, anything coming out of Zeeland is usually pretty good stuff as a rule. My wife and her brother co-own a cabin on Camp Polk road about 5 miles N.E. of Sisters. Naturally over the years I have spent many and morning and evening on the banks of the Metolius and probably helped Roger stay in business buying gas and flies from him over the years. We have an old 65 Willy Jeep at the cabin and I use it when ever we are over there. Only holding 7 gallons of fuel limits you unless I carry a Jerry can. Hence, Rogers place is fill-up time just to make it back home. My wife has some serious health issues, I don't know from day to day what my schedule may be and I am not retired (yet) so we will see if I can make the trip this summer to Sisters. What a wonderful time you all will be in for, If I take a real deep breath, I can almost smell the Pondorosa pines. I don't even have to close my eyes to see that beautiful vista looking up stream from the Camp Sherman store/bridge as the stream comes around the bend from the north and the sound of the water rippling over the rocks and stones as it passes under the bridge. Jonezee

speycaster

Post by speycaster »

I live in Central Oregon (Redmond)and have never made it to the Metolius Bamboo Rod Fair becouse of work, Not this year. I am really looking forward to the Fair.See you all there.

softstick
Master Guide

Post by softstick »

This is an update for those of you not on my email list who are attending this year's show.
From calling around it looks like most of the lodging is taken. There are also campgrounds which are a first come first serve basis. Roger White and I have been in a continuous communication mode as he is getting organized down in Oregon and I am organizing from Washington. I have printed close to 500 leaflets which outline the show and have been distributing those at fly shops in Washington. The response has been well received as I now need to run more and take those to the fly shops on Friday.
There is not going to be a rod build or rod raffle this year but Roger and I are talking about a silent auction for some items and perhaps a casting accuracy competition. That is still in the works. Roger is trying to get a firm commitment from Tom Dorsey who is hard to track down at the T&T factory.
Myself, my brother, AJ Thramer and Chris McDowell are sharing a cabin at the Metolius River Resort which is between the river and the Kokanee Restaurant. I'm thinking that on Friday early evening (5:00 - 6:00 p.m.)we will invite everyone over to cast rods and check out each others equipment (hold your comments please). We did this last year when Greg Hall and Banjo stayed there and we had a great time. You are also encouraged to bring your own imbibements.
If anyone has questions please post them here for the attendees to see. Thanks.

canesterdf
Master Guide

Post by canesterdf »

Hello All,I just got my cabin reservation at Lake Creek Lodge, for the first time in four years I will not be driving over from Redmond like a madman early in the morning and will be able to socialize and fish a little bit too! A long weekend full of classic tackle and a long way from work and the freeway, sounds good to me! Stop by the appraisal table where Dan and I will be doing the "work".Every year some exciting stuff comes through. I look forward to seeing friends and meeting new ones. Best Paul N

djbucktail

Post by djbucktail »

Chris,

Put me on your email list. I just confirmed my accomodations, so I'll be there. Getting there early to do some fishing (and maybe even some catching). Chris O had a couple of sweet rods at the Corbett Lake gathering last month. He certainly does nice work. I was able to cast one of his splice joint rods several years ago... very smooth!

Regards,

Dick (djhedges@aol.com)

Return to “Forum Announcements”