Trip to Montana Madison River Area, need advise!

This forum is for making announcements of general interest concerning the forum, events, gatherings, stuff about bamboo, wooden fly rods and classic reels. If you'd like your announcement stuck at the top until the event has passed, drop a note to one of the Moderators. Thanks.

Moderators: czkid, Ken M 44

live2fish

Post by live2fish »

Hey everyone, I'm planning a 10 day trip to the Madison River in Montana and the surrounding area. I'm from Ohio, so I want to make the trip as best as I can. If anyone is from the area or has been there before I'd love some advise or tips on where to go. My two friends and I are looking to do some backcountry camping and hiking somewhere along the river, so if you know any good areas the info would be much appreciated.

gbflytyer
Sport

Post by gbflytyer »

WHAT TIME OF THE YEAR ARE YOU HEADING TO MONTANA, AND WHAT AREA? YOU HAVE PLENTY OF WATERS TO FISH, MADISON, RUBY, BEAVERHEAD, BIGHOLE, NOT TO MENTION THE YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK AREA. JUST DEPENDS ON WHAT TIME OF THE YEAR YOU ARE COMING.!-- :hat -->

live2fish

Post by live2fish »

Heading there this saturday the 24th of june. We are planning on fishing the madison (thats what we heard was best this time of year.) If you have any other suggestions please let me know. We're looking to do some backcountry camping along the river, if you know of any good areas that would help a ton. Any advise or reccomendations you have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

gbflytyer
Sport

Post by gbflytyer »

the madison is fishing well right now. bob jacklin just caught a 10lb 30" brown between hebgen and quake lake. west fork of the madison is a good place to hike and enjoy the scenery you won't catch big fish but you catch alot of fish. i would also look at hiking into shoshone lake in yellowstone park 3 to 4 mile hike good fishing right now.. most of yellowstone is fishing well right now. twin lakes above ennis is another good bet. i would stop in west yellowstone at blue ribbon fly shop, or bob jacklins. they are the area experts. all your std flies will work. pmd, bwo's. salmonflies are on the madison right now. trude's wolfs. shop vac nymphs are the best i have found in that area!-- :hat -->

aquabonito
Master Guide

Post by aquabonito »

Two suggerstions for back country hiking, camping, and fishing are the second meadow on Slough Creek and Bechler Creek (sometimes its referred to as Bechler River), a big trib to the Fall River. Slough Creek is well known to all and you will have company there (people and Griz). Bechler is not well known and you won't have much company. Its in the southwestern corner of the park. To get there you have to go in through Ashton, Idaho, You can park there right at one of the large falls on Fall River, a just georgeous spot, and hike north from there.
Have a nice day,

Andy

Return to “Forum Announcements”