Colorado Rodmakers Reunion

This forum is for making announcements of general interest concerning the forum, events, gatherings, stuff about bamboo, wooden fly rods and classic reels. If you'd like your announcement stuck at the top until the event has passed, drop a note to one of the Moderators. Thanks.

Moderators: czkid, Ken M 44

Troutgetter
Sport

Post by Troutgetter »

Hi guys,
I just returned yesterday from a GREAT weekend in Newcastle, CO for the 3rd Rodmakers Reunion.
I tried to think of all the people and things I got to experience and write some mini-novel but it just ain't gonna happen!
It was a relief to get out of the heat of central AZ to the cool 100 degree Colorado climate and stand in cold running water up to my belly button again.
I had the pleasure and honor of meeting many fine makers not just from Colorado but from as far away as Taiwan! Among the individuals I got to finally meet face to face were, Jeff Hatton, Ralph Moon, Rick Crenshaw, Hoppe, and many, many others. Please forgive me if I left your name out. My brain is still recuperating!
I must say the Committee pulled out all the stops and put on a fine gathering! Everything from pizza to testicles were served three times a day, a nice cold keg (which didn't survive very long) was always handy.
Jeff's rod collection, a small part of it from what I understand, was truly incredible! I got to hold, in my sticky, grubby, nicotine stained fingers, the 42nd rod made by Mr. Orvis. And what a beaut it was! It made me wonder why they don't still make'm like that!
I also had the privilege of casting the greenheart rod Ralph made. What a sweet rocket it was!
Here is a picture of an original hollow built quad!
Now, as odd as it may look, this rod was incredibly light in the hand and looked as if it was built by a bridge engineer! It was very strong, light and my guess was it was a 4 wt! Hell, it was only a hundred years old or so!
Just kind of goes to show there is little new under the sun.
It did make me want to make one though!
Anyway...if you have the inclination to go next year, I would encourage you to start planning it now.
Hell, these guys even made me feel welcome!
Best to you all,
Mike

Titelines
Administrator

Post by Titelines »

Mike,

Jeff brought that rod along last year and showed it to us at the SRg. We decided at that time to call it the "Awful Tower"...!-- :rollin --> !-- :rollin -->

Titelines,
Mark

Troutgetter
Sport

Post by Troutgetter »

Mark,
LMAO, We called it the air rod!
Mike

Return to “Forum Announcements”