Remembering John Bradford

This forum is for making announcements of general interest concerning the forum, events, gatherings, stuff about bamboo, wooden fly rods and classic reels. If you'd like your announcement stuck at the top until the event has passed, drop a note to one of the Moderators. Thanks.

Moderators: czkid, Ken M 44

paxlev
Bamboo Fanatic

Remembering John Bradford

Post by paxlev »

November 24 would have been John's (Bradford) 86th birthday. I thought I would post the following in remembrance of this wonderful man, veteran, and exemplary cane rod builder. Ric

Email sent on September 1, 2008

Ric:

There were many rod builders in Michigan when I was growing up, not only Dickerson but also Heddon, Young and others. My Father preferred Denver-made Goodwin Grangers, particularly "Aristocrats" and I chided him as to why he didn't buy something built closer to home. He never gave me a clear-cut answer, but I suspect he liked Grangers because they were readily available and inexpensive. Remember, we're talking "Great Depression Years" and lots of people were working hard for one dollar a day.

I did not spend a great deal of time at Dickerson's as you apparently thought. I helped Jerry Stein a little bit with his 1991 book "Dickerson, the Man and His Rods", for which I was generously rewarded with an acknowledgment in the book and a limited edition copy signed by the authors. I remember being in Mr. Dickerson's shop a couple of times with my Father and "Uncle Fred" during my early teens, but I was less interested in the final product than in the building process. The same was true of the other makers we visited, although from each I learned something and formed "opinions" which, right or wrong, I later incorporated or rejected in my own rods. For example, I thought Dickersons were too stiff, too fast, and lacked delicacy, but I liked his "measure mark" wraps on the butt sections, so incorporated them into my Legacy Series rods. I have never cared for "swelled butt" tapers either, prevalent on many Heddons, and most Grangers and Leonards, because the flex stops and the line will simply collapse when the rod action reaches a point just above the swell. I have an expensive swelled-butt planing form and have built a few, but still don't like them much.

Paul Young favored so-called "Parabolic" tapers, a concept that very few fishermen like or can master successfully. Even "Payne" parabolics never appealed to me and today are sought largely by collectors who seldom actually fish! "Paras", in my opinion is a flawed concept foisted upon the inexperienced by a then celebrity figure, Mr.Charles Ritz and his Pezon et Michel Rods.

Anyway, my personal opinions aside, I learned to respect Payne tapers years later when I was doing many Payne restorations. They did what I thought a fly rod should do, so back in the early eighties I began using them as a starting point for my own rods, tweaking them a little through the years to make a particular model just a tad quicker or slower to accommodate slightly different lines and/or individual casting styles and preferences. Thus evolved the Legacy " I, II, III, etc." designations.

Enough! I tend to get carried away with this stuff!

I must get back to work.

John.
PS:

I expect Dr. Knuemann would enjoy seeing this, so I'll include him as an addressee.

A few pictures of John's work. Would love to have others post stories about, emails from, and pictures of John's work.

kermit
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Remembering John Bradford

Post by kermit »

Thanks Ric, that was a good read. I have a client that first wanted a Dickerson (7613 Hollow). He fished it thinking it to fast, for the trout waters he fished. He then wanted a Para 15 for the San Jaun. He finally settled on a Payne 101. Now he is happy!
Zia Rods Brochure
www.ziarods.com

slate river
Master Guide

Post by slate river »

Great post Ric. Thanks for sharing.
"God made dogs to steal our hearts and they do."

CDCdun
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by CDCdun »

Interesting letter. I never met the man, nor seen a rod of his in person, but I've had great respect for him after reading "fishing bamboo". The way Geirach talked about him and his rods always stuck with me. I would love to hear more about him and see more of his rods.

Jake

dr knuemann
Guide

Post by dr knuemann »

Ric,

I often think about John and it is a good idea to post his e-mail.Although I fish my Wojnicki and Hidy rods often, most of the time I I go out with one of my Bradfords especially when wind comes up.For me it became true what John wrote and told me: to make me a rod which I should think first to choose when going fishing.And his rods- especially my 2/2 7'6'' for a 4 weigh and my 3/2 7'6'' for a 5 weigh (specially made for me ) -are the ones mostly fished by me.Often I switch over ofter some hours fishing to a Bradford .For me John was one of the best rodmakers ever.His rods were made to be fished and they do it with excellence in all situations.Thank you Ric for remembering us on John's near birthday.

Michael

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

Very cool. My only, tenuous, link is that I have a Leonard Fairy Catskill that Mr. Bradford restored before I owned it. Thanks for posting this.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

I never met the man. But I acquired one of his rods a while back. A stunning little 7' 2/2 3/4wt. Top shelf work. But what was really interesting is that I was introduced to John's work by his brother here in Bozeman, Mt. John's brother, "Doc" Bradford, constructed a Sporting Clays range here on his property along the Gallatin River. He held fund raisers there and offered shooting instruction. I was shooting there one day and noticed a really nice cane rod hanging on the porch of Doc's house. I inquired as to the maker. Well.....you can guess the rest.

DT4F
Guide

Post by DT4F »

I met John at a Colorado Cane Conclave. What a marvelous, friendly man. He came with Malcom Duke, his protege from Dallas, also a wonderful fellow, who I took fishing during our last Conclave. John thought so much of Malcom, that he bequeathed all of his meticulous records and many of his tools to him. Malcom also makes beautiful rods today in Dallas.
Thanks for remembering.
Doc

Piglegs
Guide

Post by Piglegs »

I first hankered after a Bradford after reading Ed Engles Splitting Bamboo. Johns order book was full of course, then years later thanks to this forum, I learned that John had decided to start taking orders again shortly before his wife died. He corresponded with me, an unknown UK punter. I ordered a 7'6 3 pc Legacy. Then after his health declined he wrote again to say he couldn't fulfill my order after all. I understood but was still hugely disappointed.
Then a 3/2 Legacy III 7'6 came my way second hand from South Creek and I thought was this happening? It did, the rod arrived and then soon after I learned of John's untimely passing.

John and the previous owner of my rod will be delighted to know that I use it extensively here in the UK on the River Itchen and its tributaries. Thanks to both of you. Its a real story and I like to feel the rod was meant for me.

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

Salute Piglegs! Great story Sir!

Cheers,

John

paxlev
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by paxlev »

-- "John and the previous owner of my rod will be delighted to know that I use it extensively here in the UK on the River Itchen and its tributaries. Thanks to both of you. Its a real story and I like to feel the rod was meant for me"

I think it must have been made for you. That's true, I suspect, for all of us owners of his fine work. I never received a rod direct from John, but every one of my rods is noted in his logs as my rod. I had far too few dinners and telephone conversations with John, but always felt like I was his best friend and customer. Piglegs, would love to see some photos of that rod and, if you have them, of you fishing it. Ric

pmag
Master Guide

Post by pmag »

I used to have lunch with John about once a week when I lived in Ft. Worth. It was one of my great delights. He was a most interesting and likable man.

paxlev
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by paxlev »

pmag, what it your Talisman that I purchased years ago? Ric

pmag
Master Guide

Post by pmag »

No.

paxlev
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by paxlev »

Just thinking about John this morning. A wonderful man, albeit a little cantankerous, and a great bamboo rod builder! Happy belated birthday to my good friend John Bradford. Ric

magpie
Guide

Post by magpie »

Indeed!

fishbates
Master Guide

Post by fishbates »

Many wonderful conversations
He really loved his wife saw her every day at the nursing home she went to
Got one rod from him an 8’ 3 piece which I don’t think he liked building we had a 7-1/2 on the list he built it but said not good he said he destroyed it;((
Wish I could have meet him;(!!

Return to “Forum Announcements”