Forum Members, help your Moderators out

This forum is for making announcements of general interest concerning the forum, events, gatherings, stuff about bamboo, wooden fly rods and classic reels. If you'd like your announcement stuck at the top until the event has passed, drop a note to one of the Moderators. Thanks.

Moderators: czkid, Ken M 44

EdMcG
Guide

Re: Forum Members, help your Moderators out

Post by EdMcG »

If the moderator’s request qualifies As “imperious” I’ve been sadly inept at reading others manner and attitudes. As a psychologist, I’m embarrassed.
I thought I read a polite, reasonable and measured request. Now, if it had been in all caps, I guess I might have had a different take on it.

Thanks to all the moderators.

Ed McG9

czkid
Administrator

Post by czkid »

Thank you sir, unfortunately it seems that any authority figure or advocate of discipline is to be derided these days. Hopefully the pendulum will swing back one of these days, but in the meantime we are saddled with the task of attempting to do the work the family failed to do in years past. Good manners and civility are sometimes difficult to find on the internet, but we will endeavor to insist on them here.

Any suggestions graciously accepted.

Ralph :pipe

quashnet
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by quashnet »

I would suggest that taunting a Forum member for a comment made a year and nine months ago is a very late hit, particularly when the only evidence to support making a criticism is an irrelevant appeal to authority (the claim to be a psychologist). To me, this behavior seems not in the spirit of Section 9.01 of the APA Code of Ethics.

But more to the point, Ralph, as a former moderator I ask you, where is your evidence that "we are saddled with the task of attempting to do the work the family failed to do in years past." Do you have specific information to share about Jim Royston's parents? Or, if you are upset with me for making this point, what specific evidence are you prepared to publicly point out about my mother and father, and their roles in my upbringing? Be specific, if you can. If you can not, then I suggest you take to heart the Basic Forum Rules about harassment, especially the statement that "We have zero tolerance for taking an argument about any topic to a personal level." Making disparaging remarks about others' families seems to be about as personal as it gets. If Jim, or I, or anyone else has done wrong, then what is the nature of the offense against the purpose of the Forum? Seeking to shame others for real or imagined faults is far from the stated goal of the Forum, as written in the Rules shown at the top of the page: "This was designed as a place to exchange information about classic fly rods." Moderators should model the behavior that they expect from Forum participants.
Please visit and bookmark the Paul H. Young Rod Database
Other rod databases: Dickerson , Orvis , Powell

BrownBear
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BrownBear »

czkid wrote:Good manners and civility are sometimes difficult to find on the internet, but we will endeavor to insist on them here.

Any suggestions graciously accepted.
Yeah, I have a suggestion: Keep right on with your efforts. Folks feel free to say things on the internet that they'd NEVER say face to face, especially with witnesses. In the neighborhood of my youth we called it "having an alligator mouth and a hummingbird a$$."

I've confirmed it again and again on regional forums close to home. It's kind of like a dog barking fiercely at other dogs from the back of a pickup driving down the road. There's no room for it in civil discourse, and it's very good in my mind that you strive to contain it.

tcorfey
Guide

Post by tcorfey »

THANK YOU!
I for one appreciate all the members/contributors and the moderators for making this information available to me it is such a wonderful resource. Let's just work together as this forum is a great source of info and rather a unique and wonderful niche in fly fishing knowledge.

Regards,

Tim C.

BrownBear
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BrownBear »

I forgot to add an important local experience.

Civility was greatly restored when the administrators did away with online names, switching everyone to their real name and home town. Folks were greatly constrained to civility when their names were in clear view. I'm game for it here.

quashnet
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by quashnet »

Yes, it's worth noting that the guy who's getting anonymously criticized for something he wrote twenty-one months ago actually does use his real name.
Please visit and bookmark the Paul H. Young Rod Database
Other rod databases: Dickerson , Orvis , Powell

pgbuilt2
Sport

Post by pgbuilt2 »

Play Fair , Follow and Respect the Rules , No-one gets hurt …

Return to “Forum Announcements”