Intermediaries

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

red 1
Master Guide

Intermediaries

Post by red 1 »

I think my tastes are moving to rods with full intermediaries. Tasteful and sweet casters to boot.
I want to be buried with my favorite rod.
I hear the Styx River has Fish.

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Intermediaries

Post by Gnome »

Intermediates not intermediaries. at least that is what we have traditionally called those wraps for many decades. They look good and add hoop strength.

red 1
Master Guide

Post by red 1 »

Thanks, I never knew.

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

I also love rods with the intermediate wraps, to me they add a bit of Victorian style that the world lacks today.

DireWolf53
Master Guide

Post by DireWolf53 »

Sometimes it think I need to hire intermediaries in order to get the trout to stop feigning disinterest in my stream side offerings. ;)
"I am not against golf, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering trout." - Paul O'Neil

Arubey
Guide

Post by Arubey »

I'm a fan too. Well, once I'm done wrapping them...

Just finished this one last week and got it out for the first time earlier this week.

best,
Andy
A. Rubey Rod Co.
rubeyrods.com

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Here's a look at the most striking rod I own, a completely restored Divine Fairy, crafted by Michael Sinclair. Magnificent and laborious work. It has intermediates forever.

[url=https://postimg.cc/G4LHQs80][img]h ... .jpg[/img][/url]

red 1
Master Guide

Post by red 1 »

Arubey you take a great picture.!i wish I had your eye on how to frame a subject.
Flykyni3 red silks on blond cane...yep bet it’s an eyeful

dshx
Master Guide

Re: Intermediates

Post by dshx »

-Dwight

red 1
Master Guide

Re: Intermediates

Post by red 1 »

dshx wrote:
07/02/20 21:28

-Dwight
Dwight,
I recognize that rod, I have one also. The 2nd rod in in my post is a cousin to yours. Sweet rods. Thanks for posting.

JohnMD1022
Master Guide

Post by JohnMD1022 »

NO!

With modern adhesives, they add nothing and only add extra expense.

bamboo rodley
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bamboo rodley »

I have a 9’ Palakona I am restoring with all new wraps and it has two tips. I should be pretty good at intermediates by the time I am done.

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by steeliefool »

bamboo rodley wrote:
09/06/22 12:01
I have a 9’ Palakona I am restoring with all new wraps and it has two tips. I should be pretty good at intermediates by the time I am done.
Or decidely cross eyed as I am now after 75+ of 3wrap intermadiates on a Winchester!

bamboo rodley
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bamboo rodley »

I doubt that I could even do a three wrap. Six is about as small as I can go.

Dr_Don
Sport

Post by Dr_Don »

Shortly after I started restoring / refurbishing bamboo rods, I picked up a nice old Montague 8-1/2’ with full intermediates. It was really a beautiful rod, with red, green and black wraps. When I started it, I intended to replace only those wraps really needing attention. In this case, I only needed to replace a few black and green wraps on the mid section, along with a handful of red wraps. HOWEVER, the difference between the older, darker red wraps and the vibrant new red wraps (once I started) soon made me decide to replace ALL of the red wraps on the mid section. Whoops! I’d forgotten about all the other red wraps on the butt section — AND TWO TIPS!! that now also needed replacement to keep consistency.

It was far more work than I intended, but it gave me tons of practice on small wraps. The final product was striking and I was happy with the outcome, but it drove home an important lesson for me. To adapt an old saying, “If you pick up one end of the rod, you pick up the other as well.”

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

bamboo rodley wrote:
09/06/22 14:39
I doubt that I could even do a three wrap. Six is about as small as I can go.
There are some great tutorials on Youtube that teach this. And Russ Gooding's GW video on Finishing bamboo blanks talks about using distilled water. I'm far from an expert but 4 is easy and 3 would be doable using that as part of your repertoire.

Recidivist13
Guide

Post by Recidivist13 »

Just finishing off this Montague Radio rebuild
9’ 3 pce with 2 tips, that’s a lot of intermediates

One&Duns
Guide

Post by One&Duns »

To the person that bought the 8’ 4 wt Leonard and the 8’ 5 wt Thomas – both with full intermediates and both spectacular - I just wanted to say, Thank You!!

After seeing the listings I spent two days scheming and calculating. I could sell a couple rods, a reel, the kids swing set, the wife’s golf clubs, the cat…. But then I looked again and the listings were gone – Boom, just like that. I was simultaneously bummed and relieved. The thing is, I have a 3½ oz 50df and a similar Thomas, but they don't have the intermediates. Still, I would've hated to sell them. That would've taken too long anyway. Who knows what I would've done if those listings remained. I mighta stolen from the college fund, which would've lead to another stint in the dog house. I guess the cat stays too.

To whoever got those rods - Congratulations. I hope you enjoy them!

sawtelle8
Guide

Post by sawtelle8 »

Yet another Monty with an overabundance of intermediates...Montague Royal 7.5', circa 1910-1920. I counted 84 intermediates on the longer tip; 130 on a fully assembled 7.5' rod (I think - don't have enough finger and toes...lol)

Sawtelle

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by steeliefool »

Lovely rod in very good condition. If you want to spend the time and energy, it would rubout beautifully.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”