John Hollifield

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

John Hollifield

Post by Hellmtflies »

Just curious. I was recently introduced through an article in Outside Artisan to a rod maker by the name of John Hollifield. Are any of you folks familiar with his work. I would think you folks in the south east would be the first to recognize his name. He apparently resides in North Carolina. I'm just curious about his work.
Mark
Last edited by Hellmtflies on 09/16/20 07:57, edited 1 time in total.

cwfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: John Hollifield

Post by cwfly »

He is a member here and if you search his name you will find several references from others who have his rods.
And his wife makes, apparently, very nice rod bags.

fishbum
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by fishbum »

John's work is top shelf. He also does some great engraving. He engraved a sterling cap & ring for me for an anniversary rod i was making for my clubs 25th anniversary. I had ask him for something simple and absolutely nailed it.

Jerry

canerodscom
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by canerodscom »

Add to his top-notch rod making talents that he is one of the nicest guys around and you have a winning combination

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RWHoffhines
Master Guide

Post by RWHoffhines »

Top notch rodmaker and top notch fellow. His rods have a real lyric beauty to them.

cdmoore
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cdmoore »

Also makes reels. Check out the collaboration with Cris Carpenter in the rod and reel makers section.

munsey w
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by munsey w »

John is a fantastic rod maker and person! As stated by others, he is also one of the finest engravers I have ever seen. He has a nice website and you can also google him and find a couple of nice articles about his work in Garden and Gun magazine.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

"OK" Thanx Guys. He is new to me.

narcodog
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by narcodog »

I have one of his rods it's finish is impeccable, casts like a dream. The rod is 7 1/2ft for a 5, I should have bought his 7'9" which is outstanding, I don't know what I was think when I ordered the 7 1/2ft. His wife, the sewinsow makes some great rod bags. They both are very crafty.

Repleiven

Post by Repleiven »

I think some of the posters are confusing John Hollifield with John Paullus, the reel maker who posts under "Holireels.

Repleiven

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”