Got a new rod lately? # 2

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Re: Got a new rod lately? # 2

Post by DaveNJ »

tapermaker wrote:
08/27/20 13:38
i posted a 1 pc 6ft 2wt w/ a story of how Doug
merrick ,the owner of Winston came to make the taper for a friend. It`s on the taper thread.
Cool, thanks for the heads up!

Vaughanwilson3022
Master Guide

Post by Vaughanwilson3022 »

I just obtained a 1 piece 6.5’, 4wt from a forum member. Rod is excellent casting rod - couldn’t be happier with the rod.

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Last edited by Flykuni3 on 08/28/20 00:02, edited 1 time in total.

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

I got a rod today I’m compelled to post here. 6’6 2/2 Edwards quad, for a DT4. Just rec’d today, uncased, examined and flexed. It’s dark and very rich looking (restored) very easy on the eyes, it’s a doozie. The action feels right, medium fast and sweet. It should work perfectly for my favorite small stream fishing.

Adamsdry
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Adamsdry »

I would love to see pictures. :popcorn

D
"By the wood-shed is a brook. It goes singing on. Its joy-song does sing in my heart.”

Opal Whiteley

firehole
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by firehole »

Flykuni3,
Would love to see pics. of the quad.
Dennis

Minnesota
Guide

Post by Minnesota »

I just received a Dickerson 8014 Gude. It’s in excellent+ condition. It is a WF6F, but handles a DT5F nicely with #14 dry flies. As usual, the butt is a bit on the fast side for quick, pinpoint casts. I like Dickerson’s and this one is all original.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/147229514 ... res/757YU2

Jonathan Hanson

Post by Jonathan Hanson »

Well it's not here yet, just on the way from England, but I bought a beautiful Hardy LRH "Dry Fly" rod. I'll be selling my Bean's "Double L" to partially fund it. I've decided to try a Phoenix silk line on the new rod as well. In for a penny . . .

LakesideAl
Sport

Post by LakesideAl »

Wright + McGill Granger Victory GV8040...8 ft. 3/2. All 4 sections are full length (32 1/2 inches). Has the 1938 Patent date and number on the reel seat along with the Made by Wright + McGill, Denver, Colo. markings.
Excited to get it. Here are some pictures.

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

firehole wrote:
08/28/20 11:44
Flykuni3,
Would love to see pics. of the quad.
Dennis
Here're some very average shots as am having photo trouble here, don't know if this is common but it just isn't working like it used to here. Best I can do, sorry.

The rod is quite a sweetheart, and I have only seen a few Edwards rods over the years. Not sure why that is, they were a name company, made a good product and made lots of it. Sure they were Eastern, but we see tons of Eastern rods out West, from Leonards to whatevers. I don't know any Edwards collectors save for you fellas here. Which is odd to me, the rods I've seen were all attractive and well-designed. The shortest Edwards I've seen in California was an 8'-er. I own a 7' 2/2 Edwards Autograph (feels a lot like a 3 oz. Payne 98, a fast medium-fast, sort of close to the 7' Granger taper), and now this 6'6. The action on this stick is a very sweet medium-fast, with some reserve power, not a lot but am sure it will fish very well on a small stream in the 10' -- 35' range, which is plenty for the small place. Zietak did the restoration, and am glad he didn't clean the cork of its honorable dirt, don't mind it at all. It is marked 40, and has a attractive blood red agate. No, I haven't cast the rod, but after so long I sort of know what it will feel like. This is a keeper for sure.

I have to confess I did not know Edwards made shorter rods, was surprised to see the 7' for sale, then this one. If you have any further information I'd be very glad to hear. Thanks in advance.

[url=https://postimg.cc/cr6qKBsQ][img]h ... .jpg[/img][/Imageurl]

JFL
Guide

Post by JFL »

Things are about to get really good they said.

Capturing the style of Paul Young's "PHY Midge". A true four weight classic with some flex in the mid and not too thick of tips--for a crisp and not stiff action. Nickel-silver ferrules, It weighs ~2oz. (~57 grams). Agate stripper, antique gold silk and is signed the same way that the originals were. It's chambered too.

Made by Tufts Batson
6'3" #4 2/2

Added to my collection 1. september 2020.
Jan Fredrik
www.paintthewater.com
Paintthewater.com © 2024

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

You need a Hardy St George (or a Uniqua or featherweight) got that rod :)

JFL
Guide

Post by JFL »

A Godfrey BiMetal works just as well I think. But I see the weight issue. That would really be a feather in the hand! :)
Jan Fredrik
www.paintthewater.com
Paintthewater.com © 2024

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Just yesterday, I picked up this trade rod marked Hack Miller Deluxe. From a Google search I found a similar rod in the Rod and Reel Exchange section of www.antiquerodandreels.com site. It is just shy of 8' and needs to be rewrapped with more guides and sadly it needs new ferrules as well as there is a slight clicking. It casts extremely well and I had a gap between my 7'9" and 8 1/2' rods that needed filling. If I can get over the long storage tube, it should make a fine big water rod. Perhaps I'll have to take it to the Green River next Spring :-). I found it interesting that the ferrules were entirely wrapped a la Winston and Sweetgrass.

These were made by Sewel N. Dunton & Sons for Zinik's Sporting Goods Company in Salt Lake City. The store was in business from 1936 to about 1980. A speical thanks to Richard for sharing the Dunton and Zinik's connection.

Bingerming
Sport

Post by Bingerming »

Just got this pretty thing. I attached a Winston Perfect 2 7/8” to put on my new 6’ 3 wt. 2 oz. Brackett Era Winston Leetle Feller and I had to brag about it. Thanks guys!

-Ben

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

Nice looking rod. You need a flyweight or featherweight, or a Peerless 77 or a small CFO to balance it correctly. Good luck with it.

mnkymn

Post by mnkymn »

I bought a 5 weight rod from Leland Fly Fishing recently. It is a bamboo blank made by John Rivera. To my surprise the rod was numbered 001 when it arrived. It is the first rod in his repertoire. I wrapped it in red and gold, Kansas City chief colors. Sorry, I'm a fan!
I fished it for the first time this month and the rod is amazing. Beautiful smooth power. Effortless casting. I can't tell you yet how it performs with a trout attached to it. Skunked.

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

resman549 wrote:
02/26/20 14:43
I just received two rods from Munsey Wheby ,a Payne 100 copy and a 7'10" 5/6. If you have never seen his work you owe it to yourself to make that happen. Both rods a beautiful and cast like dreams. The 7'10" is a real rocket while the Payne is the kind of rod that I will look forward to fishing every day. Thank you Munsey !
That is such a hip name: Munsey Wheby. HIs rods would have to be great!

David4Him
Guide

Post by David4Him »

My new rod is a 7 1/2' Phillipson Peerless, that comes with a story ... according to the prior owner, he bought it directly from Mr Phillipson during a fishing trip in Montana and this is one of the last rods made by Phillipson after he had sold his company to 3M in 1972. This model has a wood reel seat and from my copy of "Colorado Classic Cane", that would make the rod a deluxe and the reel seat is Indian Rosewood. It is a good story and the rod is really a joy to cast as had it out last Saturday on a local river.

Fishpool

Post by Fishpool »

I got this from my grandpa. Not too much information on it

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”