60/40 Split Cane rods

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Mainiac
Master Guide

60/40 Split Cane rods

Post by Mainiac »

I do not currently own a 60/40 cane rod and I don't generally buy any rods from current makers with the exception of Brandin rods. I do not know the maker, nor have I ever spoken with him. However, the work I am seeing from 60/40 cane rods is some of the nicest I've seen from a fairly new maker in a long time. The execution of his work looks superb with a great sense of aesthetics. Being able to buy a piece of work like this for $800 is a ridiculously great value. I hope he continues with his work.
Last edited by Mainiac on 02/25/20 10:22, edited 1 time in total.

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: 60/40 Split Cane rods

Post by adrien schnee »

Marc, have you cast them or seen them in person? I agree, the rods are quite handsome and well crafted looking in photos.

Mainiac
Master Guide

Post by Mainiac »

Adrien, I have not. I am judging the work just by the quality I see in the photos. I would guess that is how most of us probably buy 90% of our rods.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

I thought the 60/40 meant a staggered ferrule but not so. They do look very nice and I would bet that anything that looks that nice would perform well.

NEKexpat
Guide

Post by NEKexpat »

I was confused, as well.

I remember when 60/40 cloth was the hot new "performance fabric."

Still have a couple of those Sierra Design parkas around somewhere.

caneseeker
Sport

Post by caneseeker »

I noticed he had a rod on Ebay several months ago. I decided to take a closer look at it. The workmanship appeared to be very nice, so I sent a couple emails with the usual questions. After some short correspondence I decided to take a chance on it. It arrived promptly and as described. This was a sale priced rod I believe to get him some exposure. I have been a bamboo enthusiast for over 30 years and have seen nearly every maker's work, both past and present, and I must say that there is a lot of workmanship in this rod of $600. Perfect spiral node spacing, gorgeous wrap detail, impeccable varnish, very nice glue seams, good ferrule fit, tasteful reel seats. In short, this is a quality piece of workmanship at twice the price. The only area of concern I had was concerning his corkwork, which I discussed with him. It was a minor detail, but he was interested in constructive feedback, so I humored him. I also mentioned that he should re-blacken his guide feet after grinding them to the perfect fit. These were the only two items I felt worth mentioning. The action of the rod is very user friendly. Oh, this rod is also a hollow-built construction. I hope this builder is around for a long time, because he builds one of the best rods for the money today. Just my humble opinion!

Marc

caneseeker
Sport

Post by caneseeker »

Adrien,
Sorry for the ridiculously slow response. I don't frequent the Forum much these days. I think the rod is very user friendly and a great value. His shortcomings were discussed with him, and I believe he will correct them. They included corkwork and guide finish detail.

Marc

Jules1
Sport

Post by Jules1 »

This is a great fly rod, I own the 8’,# 5. Unfortunately his web site has vanished. Tried a number of different configurations but nothing. Hope it’s not bad news, thanks

trland
Master Guide

Post by trland »

I seem to remember seeing something about a name change a few months back. I think it’s no longer 60/40. Just happened to remember this because I visited his site a few times because I also thought he had nicely done rods.

Edit: Here it is:
viewtopic.php?f=93&t=131844&p=889390&hi ... 40#p889390

And this is his new web site: https://clancysplitcane.wixsite.com/mysite-1

Sandan
Guide

Post by Sandan »

This is the new site: "https://clancysplitcane.wixsite.com/mysite-1" (missed the previous posts website)
I bought one of John's Dickerson 8014 clones (8' 2/2 6wt.). Admittedly I'm a relative newbie to the split cane fraternity, but I'll say the John's workmanship is excellent and the rod fishes very well. I've fished dries, nymphs and streamers with it and picked up a couple of 20" rainbows which the rod handled with aplomb. The rod was reasonably priced, I'm very happy with my purchase. In fact this one is my go to rod, until I find that magic 5wt. I'd recommend a John Clancy rod.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”