Got a new rod lately? # 2

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Got a new rod lately? # 2

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

I bought Chuck Taylor's old Orvis 8ft 99... he shoulda stuck to shoes anyway

" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Use the SEARCH for justification and reasoning.

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jim royston »

That's an All Star rod

scarlet>fire
Guide

Post by scarlet>fire »

Just picked up a beautiful, Charlie made Jenkins GA 80 2/2. Borrowed the photo from the dealer I purchased it from. Just love the Jenkins rods and cant wait to fish it.

wshallman64

Post by wshallman64 »

Love the Jenkins rod. That was my second to last purchase....GA 803-6. Two days ago I picked up a Phillipson Pacemaker in a 9' 3/2 5 and 5/8 oz for my new bass rod. Then today I stumbled across "The Ross Reel" RR3.5 that I was totally unaware of and had to get for the new Phillipson. (Rod pics from Bresko's site where I buy all my rods....lives 8 miles from me; very convenient. Reel pic is just from the web, not the actual reel I'm getting).

scarlet>fire
Guide

Post by scarlet>fire »

Love that 3/2 Jenkins! Thanks for sharing the pic!

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

I just purchased another Orvis 8' 3/2 4 1/2 oz rod and looking back through my records, I see that I owned one just 3 s/n lower in the past. Hopefully, this one will fish as nice as my previous rod likely finished out on the same day. BTW, I also just finished reading Leigh Perkins' book and he also liked the 8' 3/2, which is the rod that he purchased with the rubber check ::)

Cheers,
Joe

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

NewUtahCaneAngler wrote:
10/23/21 12:32
I just purchased another Orvis 8' 3/2 4 1/2 oz rod and looking back through my records, I see that I owned one just 3 s/n lower in the past. Hopefully, this one will fish as nice as my previous rod likely finished out on the same day. BTW, I also just finished reading Leigh Perkins' book and he also liked the 8' 3/2, which is the rod that he purchased with the rubber check ::)

Cheers,
Joe
:skoal

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

I just got my first Montague that I considered to be a nice mid to upper lever rod by a production concern. Marketed by Sears, it carries the script "X-Pert". I'm admittedly a sucker for a pronounced swelled butt and this one has it in spades. I'm also a fan of longer rods and at 9' no issues at all. I'm kind of torn about stripping and re-wrapping it but the varnish re-coat is too heavy and the wraps are cloudy as a result - tight but unsightly.
I have one Major issue I need advisement on: I have only 3 Reels - all Youngs Beaudex models. The slide ring is too small for the reel foot. My Youngs made Battenkill MW barely catches and I can't trust it on the stream. It did suffice to test cast with a DT6 and Wow - this rod will lay out a line!
Very smooth and fluid casting stroke with no bad quirks at all. For the length, it is surprisingly light in the hand and easy to control.
So... can anyone suggest a source to replace my reel foot for a slimmer profile that will accommodate this seat ? I want to fish this rod and will likely refinish it this winter.

roxo56

Post by roxo56 »

Both that Montague and Orvis are superb !
Congrats...

I just got a Leonard 49 clone finished that Dennis Stone made for me to go along with the Payne 100 clone he made for me 2 years ago.
Have to say that the Payne 100 is the nicest casting rod I've ever owned and was a success on it's very first cast in the upper Taylor River in CO.

I hope that Leonard will be a favorite too.
L

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

For a production rod, the Monty is very serviceable. Dennis built a set of 8 1/2' 2/2 blanks for me and it's a joy to fish. It's a copy of an FE Thomas "Light Special" with very fine tips and for the length is extremely light. He knows his craft well.

Mole-Patrol
Sport

Post by Mole-Patrol »

Not a fly rod, but I have just taken delivery of a Pezon et Michel Telebolic 5 Professionnel (sic) salmon spinning rod. It dates from April 1944 and I believe has been restored at some time as the rod guides are low bridge, not the coiled wire I have seen on other early P&M rods. If it has been restored the work is excellent with all the wrappings and trim being replicated faithfully. The cork looks too good for an 80 year old rod and the blank is dead straight too.

The 9' 6" two-piece rod is rated at 30 - 90 grams casting weight according to the script on the cane. That is all I know about it. The earliest catalogue I have seen is 1960 and whilst the Telebolic range still featured, this model isn't included. The shorter, lighter Telebolics rated from 3g upwards are well known, but the doubled handled salmon rods are more of a mystedy. If anyone knows anything about it, or can point me to a 1940's/50's catalogue I would be grateful.
Regards,
Clive

I walk the paths where no one goes and cast to fish nobody knows

kevinhaney1
Master Guide

Post by kevinhaney1 »

A Granger 9050 Favorite, my nicest Granger yet (thanks to a forum member)!

Kevin

Kevin Haney, Vintage Anglers
http://www.vintageanglers.com

Southfork
Sport

Post by Southfork »

Chuck was a heck of a tennis shoe salesman!

joep
Master Guide

Post by joep »

Robert Bolt just offered a 7'3 3wt over email last night. Not sure if wasn't claimed by the person who ordered it. But I am happy it ended up being offered as there was no wait time this time around as opposed to the 4 years i waited for my 8'6 3/2 5wt.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Bingerming wrote:
09/26/20 14:41
Just got this pretty thing. I attached a Winston Perfect 2 7/8” to put on my new 6’ 3 wt. 2 oz. Brackett Era Winston Leetle Feller and I had to brag about it. Thanks guys!

-Ben

Nice!
Always nice to see a Leetle Feller.
Can't understand so few LF's appear as they seem to have been on Winston's catalog since the early 1930's!

firehole
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by firehole »

Jay,
A lot of Leetle Feller's went over to Japan.
Dennis

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

I know. But there should be enough in the US? I doubt there's more than a handful in Europe

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PT48 »

Very nice Bingerming, they certainly are desirable objects which are tightly held onto. You don't think the Perfect too heavy for such a little toothpick of a rod?
Last edited by PT48 on 11/18/21 04:49, edited 1 time in total.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Here is a rod I just acquired. My third Karstetter. 8'3" 3/2 4wt. Mint. I was fortunate to get this rod from another forum member.

Brief history; It was originally built for ibookje in the Netherlands in 2019. It was then transferred to firehole here in West Yellowstone, Mt. that same year I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong here guys. Then to me the other day while Bill Blackburn and I met firehole at his awesome condo at Rainbow Point outside of West. There the transfer was made to me. Marty's work is top shelf. This one is no exception. So of the three this is the only 3/2 Karstetter I have and will sit next to the 8' 2/2 5wt. and the 7'6" 2/2 4/5wt.

The rod casts well with a Cortland "SYLK" DT5F as the extra half line weight helps this rod load a touch quicker than a DT4F. Looking forward to getting it on the Firehole this coming spring.
Mark

j2t
Guide

Post by j2t »

Marty does great work. I have an 8' 3/2 5wt that is a wonderful rod.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”