Montague Eastern Coast Tackle

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Trout120-1
Master Guide

Montague Eastern Coast Tackle

Post by Trout120-1 »

Has anyone ever seen a Montague with a decal that says "Eastern Coast Tackle" above the hook keeper ?

Thanks
Last edited by Trout120-1 on 06/28/17 16:49, edited 1 time in total.

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Montegue Eastern Coast Tackle

Post by jeffkn1 »

Last edited by jeffkn1 on 08/25/17 16:21, edited 1 time in total.

TheMontyMan
Global Moderator

Re: Montegue Eastern Coast Tackle

Post by TheMontyMan »

Yes. Montague sold rods to Eastern Coast Tackle for resale. I've seen quite a few. They are typically standard Montague models with their label on them instead of Montague's.

If you want to know what Montague model it was, post some pictures and we'll take a shot at an ID and approximate build date.

. . . Rex
The Monty Man

sth2006
Guide

Re: Montague Eastern Coast Tackle

Post by sth2006 »

Yes, I own one that I purchased a few years back. I came across it unexpectantly and was curious as to who the maker was. It didn't cost a lot, and was in very nice condition. So I bought it to learn more - yep, it's a Montague. I could go look, but recall there were no fishing sets, no damage, decal in great condition.

Steve

Jimkanas

Post by Jimkanas »

Hi, I just purchased an 8 1/2 foot bamboo Montague fishing pole. It’s in excellent condition! I threw some sinking fly line on it in action is terrific. My question is, did Montague make any early flyer rods that did not have the reel assembly all the way at the end, like traditional fly rods do? Was there a period where they made fly rods with the grip all the way at the end (like a casting rod) and it was assumed you would hold onto the wood in front of the reel? Or, did they have trolling in casting rods they were 8 1/2 feet long? I have seen images of old fly rods, and I have one, that has the exact set up (reel in front of the grip). I’m looking forward to your response :-) thank you!… Jim

TheMontyMan
Global Moderator

Post by TheMontyMan »

Jim, sounds like what you're referring to are casting rods, where the reel attaches above the grip. Montague, and just about everyone else, made all sorts of casting rod models, long and short, with that configuration. A lot of people will post them for sale as fly rods, but the typical fly rod will have the reel below the cork.

. . . Rex
The Monty Many

OldCane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by OldCane »

They also made 9' combo rods where the grip and reel seat (AKA - handle) could be removed from the butt section and reversed and a extra casting rod section could be used in lieu of the fly mid/tip. So it is possible to have the handle section installed normal fly rod fashion or reversed. Look for a rubber plug or just a hole (missing plug) in the end of the handle. OBTW, you could also install the mid section directly into the handle and have a shorter rod of just the handle, mid and tip.
I don't have a PhD, but I do have a DD214.

Jimkanas

Post by Jimkanas »

Thank you! I'm going to enjoy it for what it is :>)

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”