Orvis wes Jordan bamboo rod

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Splashout101

Orvis wes Jordan bamboo rod

Post by Splashout101 »

Hi My first post here, I have been fishing with a 6wt cross double built southbound rod, a model 155 which I really like a lot, However I just received a Orvis wes jordan, the rod is in excellent condition and is a 7wt which says made by wes jordan on the rod. It was made in 1967, Does any one think Jordan made it and do you have fly line recommendations.

Thanks Ron.

flyrod
Guide

Re: Orvis wes Jordan bamboo rod

Post by flyrod »

Hi Ron,

Welcome to the forum … I think you'll like it here :)

If your Wes Jordan is the 8' model it is a sold 7wt. I love mine as it's not only a great rod … it has a ton of history behind it! As far as Wes actually building the rod a few of the more knowledgeable Orvis guys will need to comment. But whether Wes actually built it or not, you now own a true "classic" of a bamboo rod.

Now go take it fishing and post a few photos!

Cheers, Stan Norton (flyrod) :pipe

Splashout101

Post by Splashout101 »

Yes it is a 8 foot, and is a very nice rod, I have a 6wt silk line I want to try with it, thanks for responding.

imaterp02
Guide

Post by imaterp02 »

I like mine with a Cortland Peach DT6 or WF7 depending on the situation. IMO, a very versatile rod.

Yellow Dog

Post by Yellow Dog »

Give Orvis a call. Give them the serial number and they'll tell you everything you need to know about it, along with who actually built it.....

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by roycestearns »

Jordan retired from Orvis in 71. The only pension after 30 years was 5% before and 10% after retirement, of the sale of any rod that had Wes's name on it. By 67 Wes had a number of makers working in the Orvis bamboo shop, they were producing 1500-2000 rods a year, in a production shop, vs 5000 a week at Cross/SB in 39. So it's hard to say whether Wes touched it, but you can be sure it was his design/taper.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

I know that this post is a few years old, but I've often seen it stated that Wes Jordan models are the same taper as the Battenkill models. Here is what the 1966 catalog states: The butt is more flexible than in our regular 2 pc. rods, and the tips are a bit lighter and more sensitive. The rod sections are given a double impregnation, exclusive, with this model only, imparting a deeper richer color and higher gloss to the finish. Two spinning type guides on the butt and hard chromed stainless steel snake guides on the tips.

Now the 8' 2 pc. 4 1/8 oz rod was not available yet (the 4 3/8 oz was), so one may think that this taper may have been the basis for that rod. However, the 1967 catalog lists the Wes Jordan model at 4 3/8 oz.

So, at least the 8' version of the WJ model does appear to be a unique taper that is different from Orvis' best selling 8' 3 3/8 oz Battenkill.

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

You're correct, the 8-foot, 13/64 Wes Jordan rod is not built on the 13/64 Battenkill taper. The story of its origins appears in Leigh Perkins' A Sportman's Life.

Perkins' book is a must-read for Orvis enthusiasts.

Shrimpman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Shrimpman »

So, what I'm hearing is: I need an 8' Wes Jordan model on top of my 4 1/8 oz rod. Roger. ;)

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Shrimpman wrote:
10/16/20 22:18
So, what I'm hearing is: I need an 8' Wes Jordan model on top of my 4 1/8 oz rod. Roger. ;)
Well, you really need both 4 3/8 oz on top of your lighter rod!

Morten

Post by Morten »

Was the 7,6 Wes #6 Jordan also a different taper than the Battenkill

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

Morten wrote:
10/17/20 01:49
Was the 7,6 Wes #6 Jordan also a different taper than the Battenkill
I believe the 7 1/2-foot, 12/64 & 8 1/2-foot, 15/64 Wes Jordan models are built on analogous Battenkill tapers. Other forum members disagree.

Orvis used many of it's tapers in different grades and multiple formats.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”