Rods with provenance

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Rods with provenance

Post by snorider »

I miss ‘banjo. And Love this thread. No rods yet but I do own the Mayor of Mayberry’s shotgun. Parly Bear bought the lovely 12ga boxlock on a trip across the pond, from Charles Rosson. It came to me in its labeled leather case with original tools. His son sent me a letter of provenance with the gun. I’m sure we have the same shirt size cause the gun was obviously made for me! Choked IC/ extra Full it is my favorite for late season roosters. Keep em coming folks.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

jimwright
Master Guide

Post by jimwright »

I owned a Winston "San Francisco Era" 2/1 8'9" 4 3/4 oz. rod. Glenn Brackett built a beautifully matching second tip for it and informed me that the rod had some provenance. It was originally built for Pat Barnes who was the owner of the famous fly shop from the 40s into the 70s in West Yellowstone, MT.

RMorrison
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by RMorrison »

I was looking through some of Banjo’s (miss him - such a great guy) old posts for info on a short EC Powell he once owned when I came across this thread. Neat idea so I’m reviving it...

I’ve got a 9’ 2/2 EC Powell with this address label:

It’s got some damage but says...
Judge Elmer Robinson
City Hall
San Francisco, Calif

And from the Powell Co booklet they put out back in the 80s comes this photo:

It shows staff from the San Francisco Sports, Travel, and Boat Show presenting fishing enthusiast and San Francisco Mayor Elmer Robinson with an EC Powell rod. I don’t believe they are the same rod. Mayor Robinson was known to be a big fan of EC’s rods. I believe mine comes from a period of time before Robinson was elected Mayor. He was a Municipal and then Superior Court Judge in San Francisco before being elected Mayor in 1947. Very cool Northern California connection for this rod.

Last edited by RMorrison on 03/03/20 19:04, edited 1 time in total.

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

I have a rod that I feel like I shouldn't.... it's an 8'3" 6wt penta Sweetgrass SG rod, and it's inscribed "built by Glenn Bracket and The Boo Boys." Looks like it was on Vintage Tackle at some point and then I got it on ebay on an offer. It's in near mint condition, I doubt it's been on the water. It cost me about the same as a new TMR graphite rod-- not cheap, but way less than it should have been. And it casts with authority with the utmost feel. I really don't understand why this rod was essentially abandoned. Feels like this rod was specially built, no?

Edit: I was secretly hoping someone would know what's up with this rod. Part of me is concerned that if I called Sweetgrass they might be upset that a rod like this was orphaned.

Also, that Howells 3wt I got recently was made for "Classic Rods" as per the tube, and when reading Marty Keane's book, the passage about that 3wt, it feels like a bridge to a scene I wish I could have been around for.

Minnesota
Guide

Post by Minnesota »

I have a rod made by and inscribed by Glenn Brackett according to Annette at Winston. It is inscribed to Greg Lilly, son of Bud Lilly. Both were very famous guides in the Yellowstone area. The rod has one tip and was made that way.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/147229514 ... res/43fzQi

Cimarron
Guide

Post by Cimarron »

I have a Jenkins GA 756 that was sold to me by a dealer as having been Steve’s personal rod. No way of really telling, but a very sweet rod and a nice feeling of connection.

Rons Rods
Sport

Post by Rons Rods »

Thought I'd keep Banjo active on the board.......I have a Jenkins 70L made for Barry Beck. I showed it to him at a show once and he said it was a gift from a pilot friend. Then he said "this is what divorce does". Miss you Banjo

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

Here's an 8 ft. 1960s San Francisco Winston made for one Sarah Swinerton and so marked.

I acquired the 3 5/8 oz. rod last year and it was returned to me recently after a complete re-finish by Glenn Brackett of Sweetgrass Rods. Glenn told me that he was familiar with Sarah and that he had worked on the rod before over the years and, in fact, had made the second tip for it.

I'm glad to continue the chain of ownership of this classic bamboo trout rod.
Scott
Last edited by Flyman615 on 04/23/20 12:44, edited 1 time in total.
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

dshx
Master Guide

Post by dshx »

This thread should be required reading for anyone considering removing the former owner’s name from an inscription when “restoring” a rod.

-Dwight

RMorrison
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by RMorrison »

dshx wrote:This thread should be required reading for anyone considering removing the former owner’s name from an inscription when “restoring” a rod.

-Dwight
Absolutely nailed it Dwight!!

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

RMorrison wrote:
dshx wrote:This thread should be required reading for anyone considering removing the former owner’s name from an inscription when “restoring” a rod.

-Dwight
Absolutely nailed it Dwight!!
+1K

fossil
Sport

Post by fossil »

I just began hauling out some rods & reels for our trout opener on the Kenai Peninsula (June 10)... after looking through some old posts... and I guess I own the first out the door (#1005) Sweetgrass hexagonal rod. It's a 7’9” 3/2 4/5 wt. Also with provenance from Jerry Kustich.

Dave

DireWolf53
Master Guide

Post by DireWolf53 »

A few years ago I purchased the eighth rod sold to the public by T&T. This 7' 5wt Classic belonged to A.W. Rourke who was a biologist at the University of Idaho. The rod possesses a medium full-flexing action and was built with both a wet and dry tip. The Sans Pareil moniker must of come into being
sometime after this.
It is an easy casting rod that is a pleasure to fish.

"I am not against golf, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering trout." - Paul O'Neil

Cimarron
Guide

Post by Cimarron »

I also have a Granger rod with my grandfather’s name inscribed on the reel seat, completely refinished to stunning by Dan Gowe of Zia Rods. Wouldn’t mean much to someone else probably, but a heck of a provenance for me.

Vaughanwilson3022
Master Guide

Post by Vaughanwilson3022 »

Cimarron wrote:I also have a Granger rod with my grandfather’s name inscribed on the reel seat, completely refinished to stunning by Dan Gowe of Zia Rods. Wouldn’t mean much to someone else probably, but a heck of a provenance for me.
Doesn’t get much better than that for most of us.

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

IN the GTRS there is a Paul Bunyan 7 axemen presentation rod 1/2/4 and the rod makes up into multiple lengths and it was presented to the Chancellor of MSU in the 1930s. the rod was donated to the traveling rod show by the man's grandson. Truly honored to display that rod in the GTRS.

reelytrout
Master Guide

Post by reelytrout »

Not on the rod but on the bag. E W Roebling. (I think). I purchased this rod at a DU dinner in Trenton NJ. Possibly in the late 70s. Roebling Steel has a long history in Trenton. Initials could be of Emily Warren Roebling,wife of the builder of the Brooklyn bridge. The rod ,as far as I can tell,dates from the early 20s. Mrs Roebling passed in approx. 1908. So there is a time discrepancy.

lestrout1
Guide

Post by lestrout1 »

Closing the circle, I acquired banjo's Marcello Caviello's Guru, 7' 4wt with his trademark bamboo ferrules. I was helping Dan Leroux with clearing banjo's estate for his widow Eileen and was surprised no one had snapped up the Guru. Dan generously sent the Guru along to me and I treasure the stick for many reasons.

I recall when Marcello was a Chatter on FAOL and we developed a relationship on line as he was developing the ferrule process. He asked if there was an Influencer (a term not in use then, being pre-FaceBook and pre-Twitter) here in the US that he could send the Guru to. We had been talking about preferences for size and action up here in the Northern Hemisphere, particularly the font of Ffishing in the US being the Northeast. I recall suggesting Ernie Schwiebert, who lived in Princeton, and was famous among us for his love of cane. Banjo also ended up in the conversation.

tl
les

hatch
Master Guide

Post by hatch »

Little off topic but good eye candy anyway. Lee Wulff's vest, passport and prescription sun glasses. In the book "Lee Wulff" by Jack Samson Lee is wearing this vest in picture opposite pg 177 and wearing the sunglasses in picture opposite pg. 176

cdmoore
Bamboo Fanatic

Has anyone here ever ADDED their name to a rod?

Post by cdmoore »

We've all heard of people having previous owner names removed, perhaps done it to our own rods. Curious if anyone here has ever ADDED their name to a rod. I'm thinking about Quash's post on owning his beloved PHY rod for 30 years. Maybe it seems like sacrilege, but I've got to imagine there are many rods out there that have been in the hands of the current owners longer than the original owners. Seems almost fitting to add the name of a long-term owner to a rod when I think about it, maybe even with the dates indicated. I know there are other ways to accomplish this these days, but maybe it's worth a thought?

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”